Dealing With A Disobedient Dog

Listen people. Anyone who lets a cat pee all over the place is nutz. Put him in a crate when you leave. or put him in a room, with his litter box, and leave him there til he learns the rules. Sheesh.

I'm not usually mad at him. I really do like him, especially when he comes over for a cuddle and sleeps on my feet at night. He's a great dog and gets a ton of praise. I just get mad when he pisses everywhere because it stinks and we have to clean it up.

Now the younger dog has gotten the idea that if Cooper can piss inside, so can he. So the Jack Russell had a piss inside as well, in the bedroom this time.

Its exasperating at times, I swear! I wish we had cats, I am more of a cat person, anyway - and they don't piss inside!

You can't claim to be a cat person and not know that they are far more likely than dogs to employ inappropriate urination to express thei displeasure.

When I was young, single and had a cat, he gave me a 10pm curfew. If I came home after ten, he peed in my shoes. If he couldn't get a shoe, he'd pee in the bed.

I've had cats who didn't approve of my overnight "guests". Imagine how they felt when donning their clothes after breakfast, only to find out that the damned cat decided they were unsuitable?

When I was young, single and had a cat, he gave me a 10pm curfew. If I came home after ten, he peed in my shoes. If he couldn't get a shoe, he'd pee in the bed.

What did you do when he peed in your bed? Buy a new mattress or sleep on that one.

I soaked it in Nature's Miracle and slept on the other side until it dried. You can use Hydrogen Peroxide too. My friend had a cat that objected to her doing homework when she was in law school. He would drag her clothes out of the hamper and pee on them. If the cat was REALLY mad, he'd claw her underwear to shreds.

Animals have ways of dealing with disobedient owners. My dog gives "lectures". She will get in your face and read you the riot act until you follow instructions. She has a sitter while I'm at school, it took my dog only a few weeks to teach the sitter simple commands like "walk, water, cookie". The sitter is now as obedient as a human can be. My dog is the second most intelligent of all dog breeds, she's a poodle. I have no patience in dog training, nor do I want a dog with the decision making ability of a ten year old child.

In this situation. I really don't see a disobedient dog. I see a poorly equipped owner with a lot of excuses on why she's poorly equipped. Not all dogs are suitable for all owners. A border collie is extremely intelligent and extremely active. A dog less intelligent (but not as stupid as say, an Afghan) will be easier to train and not as apt as to think for themselves.

Here is a list of dog breeds ranked by intelligence.

1. Border Collie
2. Poodle
3. German Shepherd
4. Golden Retriever
5. Doberman Pinscher
6. Shetland Sheepdog
7. Labrador Retriever
8. Papillon
9. Rottweiler
10. Australian cattle dog
11. Pembroke Welsh corgi
12. Miniature schnauzer
13. English springer spaniel
14. Belgian Tervuren
15. Schipperke Belgian sheepdog
16. Collie Keeshond
17. German short-haired pointer
18. Flat-coated retriever; English cocker spaniel; Standard schnauzer
19. Brittany spaniel
20. Cocker spaniel; Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever*
21. Weimaraner
22. Belgian Malinois; Bernese Mountain dog
23. Pomeranian
24. Irish water spaniel
25. Vizsla
26. Cardigan Welsh corgi
27. Chesapeake Bay retriever; Puli; Yorkshire terrier
28. Giant schnauzer; Portuguese water dog
29. Airedale; Bouvier des Flandres
30. Border terrier; Briard
31. Welsh springer spaniel
32. Manchester terrier
33. Samoyed
34. Field spaniel; Newfoundland; Australian terrier; American Staffordshire terrier; Gordon setter; Bearded collie
35. American Eskimo dog*; Cairn terrier; Kerry blue terrier; Irish setter
36. Norwegian elkhound
37. Affenpinscher; Silky terrier Miniature pinscher; English setter; Pharaoh hound; Clumber spaniel
38. Norwich terrier
39. Dalmatian
40. Soft-coated wheaten terrier; Bedlington terrier; Smooth-haired fox terrier
41. Curly-coated retriever; Irish wolfhound
42. Kuvasz; Australian shepard
43. Saluki; Finnish spitz; Pointer
44. Cavalier King Charles spaniel; German wirehaired pointer; Black-and-tan coonhound; American water spaniel
45. Siberian husky; Bichon fries; English toy spaniel
46. Tibetan spaniel; English foxhound; Otterhound; American foxhound; Greyhound; Harrier*; Parson Russell terrier*; Wirehaired pointing griffon
47. West Highland white terrier; Havanese*; Scottish deerhound
48. Boxer; Great Dane
49. Dachshund; Staffordshire bull terrier; Shiba Inu*
50. Malamute
51. Whippet; Chinese shar-pei; Wirehaired fox terrier
52. Rhodesian ridgeback
53. Ibizan hound; Welsh terrier; Irish terrier
54. Boston terrier; Akita
55. Skye terrier
56. Norfolk terrier; Sealyham terrier
57. Pug
58. French bulldog
59. Brussels griffon; Maltese terrier
60. Italian greyhound
61. Chinese crested
62. Dandie Dinmont terrier; Vendeen; Tibetan terrier; Japanese chin; Lakeland terrier
63. Old English sheepdog
64. Great Pyrenees
65. Scottish terrier; Saint Bernard
66. Bull terrier; Petite Basset Griffon; Vendeen*
67. Chihuahua
68. Lhasa apso
69. Bullmastiff
70. Shih Tzu
71. Basset hound
72. Mastiff; Beagle
73. Pekingese
74. Bloodhound
75. Borzoi
76. Chow chow
77. Bulldog
78. Basenji
79. Afghan hound

For this family a border terrier would be a much better pet than a border collie.

My favorite house dog is #69, my favorite working dog, #64.
My Pyr is fantastic at her job and loves being with her goats.
People contemplating a dog should clearly determine why they want a dog and then research breed characteristics.

What did you do when he peed in your bed? Buy a new mattress or sleep on that one.

I soaked it in Nature's Miracle and slept on the other side until it dried. You can use Hydrogen Peroxide too. My friend had a cat that objected to her doing homework when she was in law school. He would drag her clothes out of the hamper and pee on them. If the cat was REALLY mad, he'd claw her underwear to shreds.

Animals have ways of dealing with disobedient owners. My dog gives "lectures". She will get in your face and read you the riot act until you follow instructions. She has a sitter while I'm at school, it took my dog only a few weeks to teach the sitter simple commands like "walk, water, cookie". The sitter is now as obedient as a human can be. My dog is the second most intelligent of all dog breeds, she's a poodle. I have no patience in dog training, nor do I want a dog with the decision making ability of a ten year old child.

In this situation. I really don't see a disobedient dog. I see a poorly equipped owner with a lot of excuses on why she's poorly equipped. Not all dogs are suitable for all owners. A border collie is extremely intelligent and extremely active. A dog less intelligent (but not as stupid as say, an Afghan) will be easier to train and not as apt as to think for themselves.

1. Border Collie
2. Poodle
3. German Shepherd
4. Golden Retriever
5. Doberman Pinscher
6. Shetland Sheepdog
7. Labrador Retriever
8. Papillon
9. Rottweiler
11. Pembroke Welsh corgi
12. Miniature schnauzer
14. Belgian Tervuren
16. Collie Keeshond
19. Brittany spaniel
21. Weimaraner
23. Pomeranian
24. Irish water spaniel
25. Vizsla
26. Cardigan Welsh corgi
32. Manchester terrier
33. Samoyed
34. Field spaniel; Newfoundland; Australian terrier; American Staffordshire terrier; Gordon setter; Bearded collie
36. Norwegian elkhound
37. Affenpinscher; Silky terrier Miniature pinscher; English setter; Pharaoh hound; Clumber spaniel
38. Norwich terrier
39. Dalmatian
44. Cavalier King Charles spaniel; German wirehaired pointer; Black-and-tan coonhound; American water spaniel
46. Tibetan spaniel; English foxhound; Otterhound; American foxhound; Greyhound; Harrier*; Parson Russell terrier*; Wirehaired pointing griffon
48. Boxer; Great Dane
50. Malamute
52. Rhodesian ridgeback
55. Skye terrier
57. Pug
58. French bulldog
60. Italian greyhound
61. Chinese crested
62. Dandie Dinmont terrier; Vendeen; Tibetan terrier; Japanese chin; Lakeland terrier
63. Old English sheepdog
64. Great Pyrenees
67. Chihuahua
68. Lhasa apso
69. Bullmastiff
70. Shih Tzu
71. Basset hound
72. Mastiff; Beagle
73. Pekingese
74. Bloodhound
75. Borzoi
76. Chow chow
77. Bulldog
78. Basenji
79. Afghan hound

For this family a border terrier would be a much better pet than a border collie.

Are dumber dogs nicer?

You might want to watch out posting stuff like this, I told someone once that Pomeranians weren't very bright and that person got pretty insane about it.

Dumber dogs are harder to train, but they retain their training better and don't get very creative. Dumber dogs tend to have reputations for biting but they tend to be less active and more mellow.

"Dumb" is relative anyway.....I like border collies a lot but I am not drawn to them the way I am to some of the "dumber" dogs. I like dogs with specialized intelligence, as well as over the top smarts.
But the older I get the less impressed I am with so-called "intelligence" anyway...in people or in dogs.

1. Border Collie
2. Poodle
3. German Shepherd
4. Golden Retriever
5. Doberman Pinscher
6. Shetland Sheepdog
7. Labrador Retriever
8. Papillon
9. Rottweiler
11. Pembroke Welsh corgi
12. Miniature schnauzer
14. Belgian Tervuren
16. Collie Keeshond
19. Brittany spaniel
21. Weimaraner
23. Pomeranian
24. Irish water spaniel
25. Vizsla
26. Cardigan Welsh corgi
32. Manchester terrier
33. Samoyed
36. Norwegian elkhound
38. Norwich terrier
39. Dalmatian
48. Boxer; Great Dane
50. Malamute
52. Rhodesian ridgeback
55. Skye terrier
57. Pug
58. French bulldog
60. Italian greyhound
61. Chinese crested
63. Old English sheepdog
64. Great Pyrenees
67. Chihuahua
68. Lhasa apso
69. Bullmastiff
70. Shih Tzu
71. Basset hound
72. Mastiff; Beagle
73. Pekingese
74. Bloodhound
75. Borzoi
76. Chow chow
77. Bulldog
78. Basenji
79. Afghan hound

Are dumber dogs nicer?

You might want to watch out posting stuff like this, I told someone once that Pomeranians weren't very bright and that person got pretty insane about it.
I have a friend with a Pomeranian. They think he's brilliant. I would not dare to tell them differently. If they want to find out that Poms are only a 23, it's up to them.

You can't claim to be a cat person and not know that they are far more likely than dogs to employ inappropriate urination to express thei displeasure.

I've had cats who didn't approve of my overnight "guests". Imagine how they felt when donning their clothes after breakfast, only to find out that the damned cat decided they were unsuitable?

The cat was right wasn't it?

"Dumb" is relative anyway......

Very true.

How do WE determine the intelligence of a dog, by what criteria?

Kaukaz (Caucasian shepherd's dog) as well as Anatolians were bred to assess situations and act upon their assessment without a human telling them what to do. Is it smart or is it dumb?

I had Anatolian. It was like no other breed. She knew what you wanted her to do, but once she decided something or someone is a danger to her family, you can hang yourself trying to call her back -- she would go and deal with the "danger" first and then obey your order.

Once we called in a dog behaviourist (stupid bitch!). The woman was telling us that breeds don't matter, that all dogs suppose to be essentially the same, etc. and started by coming up to my dog with treats in her hand. My pup did not touch the treat, but became very suspicious. The woman decided the dog just did not like an offering and asked me to go fetch some biscuits. As soon as I walked out of the room, our guest got up to follow me. That was the last straw as far as my dog was concerned: my puppy stood between myself and a stranger and showed all her teeth. The woman became hysterical, but no matter how I tried to get in front of the dog, the dog would push me to the side and stand between me and the "danger". It took my husband to finally wrestle the dog out so the behaviourist can escape...

Was it smart or was it dumb on a part of a dog, I don't know. But since then we all felt PROTECTED.

Last edited:
I don't allow my dogs to push me out of the way when it comes to that sort of thing. I am the boss, I go first, they don't call the shots. If I say a person is okay, then they better respect that.

I took Klaus in hand by making him walk behind me when we're walking. He doesn't like it, he has always wanted to blaze the trail and meet everyone first...but after getting yanked on my butt (and dragged) by him hitting the end of the leash harder than I could control, I decided I needed to assert myself as the leader.

I didn't do it in any overt way..I just always make him walk behind me, and when he is excited about someone I make him sit or lay down...and it works. He takes his cues from me, not the other way around.

Cuz he's a dog. I love him and I trust him but I don't let him disregard me.

I don't allow my dogs to push me out of the way when it comes to that sort of thing. I am the boss, .

That's exactly what that behaviourist said before getting acquainted with the breed that was designed for INDEPENDENT thinking and INDEPENDENT decision making.

Get yourself Anatolian or Caucasian and then come back with your experience. Right now all your posturing is based on your ignorance.

Fuck off, bitch. You have a dangerous dog and you're proud that you couldn't control it as a pup. You make all dog owners look bad.

Fuck off, bitch. .

Bitch is looking at you in your mirror.

It's not a dog that is dangerous, it's ***** like you who walk up to an animal expecting to be taken for a "boss" just because you walk on two legs.

You're an idiot. I expect to be the boss because I am the boss.

I have no respect or time for nitwits who tee hee about the fact that they can't control their dog when it's threatening someone, and think it's cute that they had to get a man to physically restrain a dog they can't control.

I have a saint now. I've had Great Pyrenees, G. Shepherds, poodles, JRT, pits, hounds, cattle dogs of different types. And I can tell you without reservation or any doubt..you're a fucking idiot who shouldn't have a 150 lb dog.

You're an idiot. I expect to be the boss because I am the boss.

It's you who are an idiot. Caucasians are not poodles or border collies who were bred to follow commands and if they do not work they get board. Which what is happening to the dog at the centre of the discussion.

Caucasians and Anatolians were bred to use their own discretion. And when you come up to such a dog with your puffed up by ignorance ego EXPECTING an animal to be what it is not -- you will have your ass handed to you on a plate; and rightly so. You have to "speak" to these dogs "their language" which is giving them freedom to fulfil their breed characteristics.

And since you do not comprehend this simple thing, the only suggestion I can give you is to walk up to a lion and tell him you are hiss boss.

Forum List

Back