Dealership Etiquette

The ClayTaurus

Sep 19, 2005
Do you think a dealership is justified in refusing a test drive unless you're willing to sit down and discuss numbers?

I ask because I recently was reading this guy's story who was so pissed that he went to a dealership just to test drive a sports car, with no intention of buying it whatsoever, and was told by the dealer that he couldn't take it for a test drive unless he wanted to talk numbers. He says he does this with every sports car that comes out, and hasn't ever seriously considered buying a new car. He admitted being rough on the cars, driving them hard and explaining he "just wanted to get a feel for the car" to the sales guy, like he was serious about buying it.

When I was buying my car, I was looking at Mustang GT's and no dealership would let me take one out because so many people were coming in just to try them out with no intention of buying them.

Now, for someone in my position, it was frustrating not being able to even drive a car I was considering buying, but I suppose I could have backed out after I went through the trouble of lying to the guy about being set on buying one...

At the same time, if I was a dealer trying to sell cars, I would definitely want to discourage guys like this who just bounce around dealerships trying out every fun new car that comes out because it's fun. You should only be test driving things if you have an interest in buying them; those cars still have to be sold after you beat the shit out of them...

What do you guys think?

How did the salesman know this guy had no intention of talking numbers?

If he was stupid enough to walk in and say, "Hey...I'm not going to buy anything, but I sure would love to test drive this car," then I don't blame the salesman.

GotZoom said:
How did the salesman know this guy had no intention of talking numbers?

If he was stupid enough to walk in and say, "Hey...I'm not going to buy anything, but I sure would love to test drive this car," then I don't blame the salesman.
I would bet salesmen begin to get an eye for those types of guys... just a guess. I remember working retail, and after about 6 month I could predict whether the customer was buying or just wasting my time trying things on for their own amusement about 95% of the time. Non-scientifically, of course.

The fact is the dealership is in the business of selling cars, not in providing test drives. Getting upset because they caught on to you doesn't mean that they didn't do the right thing. It is the customer that is always right, not people that plan to never be customers but expect an employee to spend their time with you when you will not be buying they get paid on commission, not for test drives.

I agree. I think it's just unfortunate that it cost me a mustang GT test drive. Too many retards wanting to get their jollies off ruin it for serious customers. In the end, it's ok, because I see a mustang about every 10 minutes now, and the interior is shit.

No way. You should always be able to test drive any ride you want whenever you want--the fun is in letting the salesman down after he's ridden with you around town for 45 minutes talking-up all the car's features.

"You know? Give me a day to think it over and I'll get back to you." :dance:

Hagbard Celine said:
No way. You should always be able to test drive any ride you want whenever you want--the fun is in letting the salesman down after he's ridden with you around town for 45 minutes talking-up all the car's features.
You don't own the car. You don't own the dealership. Why should the salespeople waste their time on someone who has no intention of buying the car they want to look at? Especially a car that costs over $25k?

The sales guys are usually on straight commission. The sale of a vehicle is their income to feed themselves and their family. They rely on the serious customer(s) to do their job and keep their job. People who waste the time of the salesperson is taking away a possible TRUE sale that a real customer would provide. How selfish is that just to be able to say you have driven a (insert car make/model here) ? Grow up.

If you want to test drive an expensive car/higher end car, go rent one. Or find someone kind enough to let you drive theirs.

Clay, I wouldn't be surprised if age comes into it. I've never had a problem test driving a car, without going through the credit stuff.

Kathianne said:
Clay, I wouldn't be surprised if age comes into it. I've never had a problem test driving a car, without going through the credit stuff.
That's an excellent point, Kathianne. When we bought my husband's Vue last year, we had no trouble taking it for a test drive. I guess they figured if we were serious enough to drag two preschool boys to a car dealership, we were serious enough to close the deal.

Kathianne said:
Yeah, that's what I figured at the first dealership. I tried two other dealerships with my dad, and they wouldn't even let him take it out. Neither really wanted to even take it out with only the sales guy driving. Only one offered to turn the engine on...

The ClayTaurus said:
Yeah, that's what I figured at the first dealership. I tried two other dealerships with my dad, and they wouldn't even let him take it out. Neither really wanted to even take it out with only the sales guy driving. Only one offered to turn the engine on...
All I can say is they must not want to sell cars very bad. :dunno:

Kathianne said:
All I can say is they must not want to sell cars very bad. :dunno:
Well we sort of mentioned something like that to him, and he said, because Ford was limiting production, he had no problem selling cars without test drives, and that customers complained if there was more than like 5-10 miles on the odometer.

So, I guess if they were selling out that easily, no need to offer a test drive. When I went to Mazda dealerships, though, it was completely an age thing... I was only allowed to drive at one dealership, the rest either wanted a credit check or i dragged pops with me.

The ClayTaurus said:
Well we sort of mentioned something like that to him, and he said, because Ford was limiting production, he had no problem selling cars without test drives, and that customers complained if there was more than like 5-10 miles on the odometer.

So, I guess if they were selling out that easily, no need to offer a test drive. When I went to Mazda dealerships, though, it was completely an age thing... I was only allowed to drive at one dealership, the rest either wanted a credit check or i dragged pops with me.

I test drove an S2000 a couple of months ago. The salesman said I couldn't go out without him in the car...insurance, blah blah blah. All B.S.

I asked him if I could...."push"...the car a bit.

He said yes.

He shouldn't have.

:)

mom4 said:
That's an excellent point, Kathianne. When we bought my husband's Vue last year, we had no trouble taking it for a test drive. I guess they figured if we were serious enough to drag two preschool boys to a car dealership, we were serious enough to close the deal.
Or they wanted you to drive and take the kids off the lot! J/K:)

Seriously, a young kid that’s hungry and a bit cranky in a dealership near closing time is one of the BEST negotiating tools you could ever hope to have. The sales people will cut to the bottom line very fast so you’ll leave and they can go home.
Hey, whatever works at beating these crooks at their own game, works for me. :)

Mr. P said:
Or they wanted you to drive and take the kids off the lot! J/K:)

Seriously, a young kid that’s hungry and a bit cranky in a dealership near closing time is one of the BEST negotiating tools you could ever hope to have. The sales people will cut to the bottom line very fast so you’ll leave and they can go home.
Hey, whatever works at beating these crooks at their own game, works for me. :)

Clay, he has a point, borrow someone's kids. :laugh:

The ClayTaurus said:

These dealersd are being very short-sighted. Even if someone isn't serious about buying just then, when they are serious they will probably take their money elsewhere.

New Topics

Forum List

Back