Deaf to Reason

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
There's a school for the deaf in Washington D.C. called Gallaunt. However, their new school president is having her appointment rescinded because protesters want it to be a school for the Deaf (with a capital D). While the president of the school wants to make it a school to prepare the deaf and hard of hearing for a career, those who would see her gone want to preserve "Deaf Culture." They object to her speaking and lip-reading and want ASL to be the only accepted form of communication on campus. In recent surveys, preparation for a career ranked lowest on the most satisfying parts of being a student.

So-called Deaf culture has taken off in recent years as many deaf people have embraced their disability in much the same way a black person might embrace his/her race. Such attitudes have no basis in reason and give way to such horrific actions as what happened a few years ago when a deaf couple went to painstaking lengths to ensure their artificially inseminated child would be born deaf. It also leads to such radical beliefs as a faculty member from this school calling cochlear implants "genocide."

Let's face it, deafness is a disability, not a culture. While ensuring that deaf people do not look upon themselves as inferior should be a high priority for deaf schools, so should ensuring that deaf people can function in a society outside some idealistic "Deaf" culture.

http://www.breakpoint.org/listingar...idType=CH&zid=1014865&zsubscriberId=111128682

For the past 20 years or so, there have been those that advocate the deaf should form their own 'culture' enabled by sign vs. lip reading and speaking. I think it's isolating, but many adhere to it.

As long as they are not claiming disability payments, I'm for them.

For the past 20 years or so, there have been those that advocate the deaf should form their own 'culture' enabled by sign vs. lip reading and speaking. I think it's isolating, but many adhere to it.

When people can band together and give support, understanding, and encouragement to one another, that is a good thing. If that's what is meant by "Deaf Culture," then I am all for it. But to purposely incite the attitude that they do not have to learn to function in the world-at-large is destructive to the very people who need help. It's cutting off the nose to spite the face. They are teaching people to be too proud to live in the real world, forming another group of entitlement thinkers.

The reason I'm against what they do is 1) that couple that doomed their child to deafness from birth, 2) they treat those deaf people who just want to be accepted into normal society the way blacks treat black Republicans ("Uncle Tom" and so forth), and 3) they are destroying a prominent tax-funded institute.

Like I said, I don't adhere to that thinking, however if it works for them my attitude is let them be. Same with the Amish.

There's a school for the deaf in Washington D.C. called Gallaunt. However, their new school president is having her appointment rescinded because protesters want it to be a school for the Deaf (with a capital D). While the president of the school wants to make it a school to prepare the deaf and hard of hearing for a career, those who would see her gone want to preserve "Deaf Culture." They object to her speaking and lip-reading and want ASL to be the only accepted form of communication on campus. In recent surveys, preparation for a career ranked lowest on the most satisfying parts of being a student.

So-called Deaf culture has taken off in recent years as many deaf people have embraced their disability in much the same way a black person might embrace his/her race. Such attitudes have no basis in reason and give way to such horrific actions as what happened a few years ago when a deaf couple went to painstaking lengths to ensure their artificially inseminated child would be born deaf. It also leads to such radical beliefs as a faculty member from this school calling cochlear implants "genocide."

Let's face it, deafness is a disability, not a culture. While ensuring that deaf people do not look upon themselves as inferior should be a high priority for deaf schools, so should ensuring that deaf people can function in a society outside some idealistic "Deaf" culture.

http://www.breakpoint.org/listingar...idType=CH&zid=1014865&zsubscriberId=111128682

I haven't seen this on any other sights I wanted to post this when it first went down. At first when you read between the lines---deaf school boycotts school president....I think of signing like this:finger3: But really they were holding out with signs and banners for a long time. I guess this was on CNN/Fox? Since I live in the burbs of D.C. it was common news.
About Chuck Colson he does have great media points on his show.

Like I said, I don't adhere to that thinking, however if it works for them my attitude is let them be. Same with the Amish.

The Amish live in small communities out on their own and don't ask for any help. This is an insitute designed to help the disabled live in normal society that is being hamstrung by a minority of people who don't want that. If the "Deaf" want to segregate themselves from society and go do their own thing, then sure, let them do it, but what they're doing here is trying to drag down every other deaf person with them, and I, for one, don't want my tax money being spent on a school that teaches deaf people that cochlear implants are morally equivalent to genocide, nor do I think it should be legal to intentionally cripple one's own child just so they can share your disability. How would we react if a wheelchair couple had doctors surgically sever their child's spinal cord? What if a blind couple gouged out their infant's eyes? This PC idiocy has grown beyond a few people who have a very strange worldview and is now causing harm to the deaf nationwide.

This is not much different than the augument used by homosexuals. It is a society run amuck.

How is that the same as a religious way of life?

If the Deaf made their own sort of culture colony where verbal communication wasn't allowed and everything having to do with hearing was shunned, it would be quite similar in nature to the Amish, only the thing being shunned would be hearing, rather than technology.

If the Deaf made their own sort of culture colony where verbal communication wasn't allowed and everything having to do with hearing was shunned, it would be quite similar in nature to the Amish, only the thing being shunned would be hearing, rather than technology.

They all ready are shunned and have a sub-culture of there very own. My friend and his wife both sign and it is a very cut throat world from his stories. It is not saying they aren't friendly folk but it clearly states they are not welcome in our world due to the obvious reasons. I don't agree but from my friends view point they kind of want it that way. Unlike the Amish who do inner act with the English in the world. I have several Amish friends and they are very amazing people, and not as dumb as everyone thinks they are. It has been my opinion that everyone feels the need to be made over. If we all just lived and did our things there wouldn't be any need for it. Deaf folk can read lips and that is a barrier right there for me anyways.
Oh and BTW way about technology they can drive tractors, or use power tools, but in our area the tractors have to have metal wheels, Dozers have no mods. Air tools, my friend cut meat with hydraulic driven blade. Yeah no cells but I did see a guy playing a video game once. They are just like us they just don't shower regularly or have electricity, but they are devious as us.

.... I have several Amish friends and they are very amazing people, and not as dumb as everyone thinks they are. ....
When I lived in Upstae NY I worked with a Menonite farmer one time. He and his wife had about 14 kids. They had a very sucessful farm, two nice tractors with all the latest set ups. She was a midwife and travelled about 100K miles/ year birthing babies, very strong, beautiful woman. Their house was very sparten, but clean and comfortable.

When I lived in Upstae NY I worked with a Menonite farmer one time. He and his wife had about 14 kids. They had a very sucessful farm, two nice tractors with all the latest set ups. She was a midwife and travelled about 100K miles/ year birthing babies, very strong, beautiful woman. Their house was very sparten, but clean and comfortable.

Well the Menonites are less conservative on mans inventions. This guy who brought out my 12X20 Barn had this 1 ton dodge with a huge Banks turbo with a 5 inch free flowing exhaust. He wasn't messing around and his home was very nice and they were really cool folk.

The Amish live in small communities out on their own and don't ask for any help. This is an insitute designed to help the disabled live in normal society that is being hamstrung by a minority of people who don't want that. If the "Deaf" want to segregate themselves from society and go do their own thing, then sure, let them do it, but what they're doing here is trying to drag down every other deaf person with them, and I, for one, don't want my tax money being spent on a school that teaches deaf people that cochlear implants are morally equivalent to genocide, nor do I think it should be legal to intentionally cripple one's own child just so they can share your disability. How would we react if a wheelchair couple had doctors surgically sever their child's spinal cord? What if a blind couple gouged out their infant's eyes? This PC idiocy has grown beyond a few people who have a very strange worldview and is now causing harm to the deaf nationwide.

They are segregating themselves, not asking government to do dot. In fact, the schools teach lip reading, etc, also sign. If the parents or child wish to segregate themselves and are not asking for any type of aid, I believe they have the right to be left alone.

Just like if I want to homeschool, encourage my kids to stay within religion/ethnic groups, etc. It's called freedom of association and the government does not have the right to interfere. You can disagree, think they shouldn't, pass your personal judgement. But no more.

Just like I think it's wrong when the government steps in to say spanking is abuse.

They are segregating themselves, not asking government to do dot. In fact, the schools teach lip reading, etc, also sign. If the parents or child wish to segregate themselves and are not asking for any type of aid, I believe they have the right to be left alone.

Just like if I want to homeschool, encourage my kids to stay within religion/ethnic groups, etc. It's called freedom of association and the government does not have the right to interfere. You can disagree, think they shouldn't, pass your personal judgement. But no more.

Just like I think it's wrong when the government steps in to say spanking is abuse.

But these protestors are not segregating themselves. They are protesting in an attempt to control policy at a TAXPAYER FUNDED school for the deaf. No, they haven't taken over yet, but they're trying. If they want to start their own little private school, I have no problem with it, but that's not what they're doing. Oh, and I don't think anyone can justify to me that intentionally deafening your child is parenting rather than child abuse.

But these protestors are not segregating themselves. They are protesting in an attempt to control policy at a TAXPAYER FUNDED school for the deaf. No, they haven't taken over yet, but they're trying. If they want to start their own little private school, I have no problem with it, but that's not what they're doing. Oh, and I don't think anyone can justify to me that intentionally deafening your child is parenting rather than child abuse.

Ok, if any of the above is going on, I agree. It doesn't jibe with anything I've read on the movement, but I'm certain you can back it up.

Forum List

Back