Deaf to Reason

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Hobbit, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    There's a school for the deaf in Washington D.C. called Gallaunt. However, their new school president is having her appointment rescinded because protesters want it to be a school for the Deaf (with a capital D). While the president of the school wants to make it a school to prepare the deaf and hard of hearing for a career, those who would see her gone want to preserve "Deaf Culture." They object to her speaking and lip-reading and want ASL to be the only accepted form of communication on campus. In recent surveys, preparation for a career ranked lowest on the most satisfying parts of being a student.

So-called Deaf culture has taken off in recent years as many deaf people have embraced their disability in much the same way a black person might embrace his/her race. Such attitudes have no basis in reason and give way to such horrific actions as what happened a few years ago when a deaf couple went to painstaking lengths to ensure their artificially inseminated child would be born deaf. It also leads to such radical beliefs as a faculty member from this school calling cochlear implants "genocide."

Let's face it, deafness is a disability, not a culture. While ensuring that deaf people do not look upon themselves as inferior should be a high priority for deaf schools, so should ensuring that deaf people can function in a society outside some idealistic "Deaf" culture.

http://www.breakpoint.org/listingar...idType=CH&zid=1014865&zsubscriberId=111128682

2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Love Chuck Colson. :)

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    For the past 20 years or so, there have been those that advocate the deaf should form their own 'culture' enabled by sign vs. lip reading and speaking. I think it's isolating, but many adhere to it.

As long as they are not claiming disability payments, I'm for them.

4. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    When people can band together and give support, understanding, and encouragement to one another, that is a good thing. If that's what is meant by "Deaf Culture," then I am all for it. But to purposely incite the attitude that they do not have to learn to function in the world-at-large is destructive to the very people who need help. It's cutting off the nose to spite the face. They are teaching people to be too proud to live in the real world, forming another group of entitlement thinkers.

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    The reason I'm against what they do is 1) that couple that doomed their child to deafness from birth, 2) they treat those deaf people who just want to be accepted into normal society the way blacks treat black Republicans ("Uncle Tom" and so forth), and 3) they are destroying a prominent tax-funded institute.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Like I said, I don't adhere to that thinking, however if it works for them my attitude is let them be. Same with the Amish.

7. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I haven't seen this on any other sights I wanted to post this when it first went down. At first when you read between the lines---deaf school boycotts school president....I think of signing like this:finger3: But really they were holding out with signs and banners for a long time. I guess this was on CNN/Fox? Since I live in the burbs of D.C. it was common news.
    About Chuck Colson he does have great media points on his show.

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    But what about the BRANCH DAVIDIANS?

9. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    it wasn't there fault.:mm:

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    The Amish live in small communities out on their own and don't ask for any help. This is an insitute designed to help the disabled live in normal society that is being hamstrung by a minority of people who don't want that. If the "Deaf" want to segregate themselves from society and go do their own thing, then sure, let them do it, but what they're doing here is trying to drag down every other deaf person with them, and I, for one, don't want my tax money being spent on a school that teaches deaf people that cochlear implants are morally equivalent to genocide, nor do I think it should be legal to intentionally cripple one's own child just so they can share your disability. How would we react if a wheelchair couple had doctors surgically sever their child's spinal cord? What if a blind couple gouged out their infant's eyes? This PC idiocy has grown beyond a few people who have a very strange worldview and is now causing harm to the deaf nationwide.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1