Deadly tornadoes strike South; ‘high risk’ for more as freak storm approaches East Coast

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Fifteen people are dead in Mississippi and Georgia after violent thunderstorms, some spawning tornadoes, tore across the South on Saturday into Sunday morning. Another round of destructive thunderstorms is predicted in the Southeast during the day Sunday, and the National Weather Service has declared parts of northern Florida and southern Georgia at “high risk” of severe weather, which is extremely unusual for this time of year.
Deadly tornadoes strike South; ‘high risk’ for more as freak storm approaches East Coast

Another round of tornadoes expected as death toll reaches 15 in Southeast US

That is ugly.

Yep. Spring is on the way. That spawns tornadoes.

Summer I expect to hear about droughts, and in the winter I expect to hear about the damn cold!

Fifteen people are dead in Mississippi and Georgia after violent thunderstorms, some spawning tornadoes, tore across the South on Saturday into Sunday morning. Another round of destructive thunderstorms is predicted in the Southeast during the day Sunday, and the National Weather Service has declared parts of northern Florida and southern Georgia at “high risk” of severe weather, which is extremely unusual for this time of year.

Another round of tornadoes expected as death toll reaches 15 in Southeast US

That is ugly.
I just spoke to a friend in Valdosta, three dead, the town is torn up! She is dreading round two! :(

Summer I expect to hear about droughts, and in the winter I expect to hear about the damn cold!
And it's only January!

The good news is that, in the long run, global warming saves lives. More people freeze to death than die of warm weather, storms included.

i wonder if Jacksonville is in the path
Don't you have any weather apps? I mostly use "MyRadar" and "WeatherBug", but have a few more.

BTW, yes, it's getting clobbered.
United States Doppler Weather Radar Map - AccuWeather.com
but of course!, the reason I mention jacksonville is that I know two people there. not looking good according to the weather channel
No it's not. Looks like a train of weather all headed there across north Florida. I used to live in Jacksonville for 3 years in the late 80s then Pensacola for most of the 90s although my work took me all over Florida. I went through 5 hurricanes (plus a shitload of TSs) before I said "enough!" and left the area whenever they were forecast.

i wonder if Jacksonville is in the path
Don't you have any weather apps? I mostly use "MyRadar" and "WeatherBug", but have a few more.

BTW, yes, it's getting clobbered.
United States Doppler Weather Radar Map - AccuWeather.com
but of course!, the reason I mention jacksonville is that I know two people there. not looking good according to the weather channel
No it's not. Looks like a train of weather all headed there across north Florida. I used to live in Jacksonville for 3 years in the late 80s then Pensacola for most of the 90s although my work took me all over Florida. I went through 5 hurricanes (plus a shitload of TSs) before I said "enough!" and left the area whenever they were forecast.
heavily populated area, hope the grid survives. thank god for underground electrical systems. but even with that, those can also shut off during intense weather.

The storm blew open our back doors this morning. We have French doors that open onto a sun room. We locked them last night but I guess they weren't bolted down to the floor. Walked out into the kitchen at 7am to see they were wide open. Had been in the kitchen a half hour earlier and everything was fine. I even thought my wife had opened them up to get a breeze through the house.

Swarms of tornadoes in JANUARY with spring two months away, here in the dead of what used to be Winter, is NOT NORMAL.

Swarms of tornadoes in JANUARY with spring two months away, here in the dead of what used to be Winter, is NOT NORMAL.
Climate change. Get used to it. OTOH, no need to panic like Al Gore running around like Chicken Little. It'll all work out in the end....or it won't. Either way, the Earth will be just fine. :D

Climate change. Get used to it. OTOH, no need to panic like Al Gore running around like Chicken Little. It'll all work out in the end....or it won't. Either way, the Earth will be just fine. :D
Climate changes 4 times a year where I live. I'm used to it.

Forum List

Back