Deadline Passes as Debt Ceiling Talks Languish

Kiki Cannoli

Have you met my shadow?
May 27, 2011
Really south of the border
WASHINGTON — The House speaker, John A. Boehner, and the Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, were preparing separate backup plans to raise the nation’s debt ceiling on Sunday after they and the White House were unable to form a bipartisan plan that would end an increasingly grim standoff over the federal budget.

ETA: URL http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/25/us/politics/25debt.html?hp

Last edited:
I think it is a fair assumption that the coming week will yield no new plan capable of passing until the eleventh hour. Since it must originate in the House, it will be a Republican plan.

I think they'll do an agreement in the next few days, especially if the markets take a dive. Nobody wants to take the chance of being blamed if no agreement is reached and the economy goes into the dumpster.

I agree Wiseacre, I think the market will dictate an outcome.

When can Obama invoke the 14th amendment? (not a recommendation, a question)

Last edited:

Never. It violates most of the rest of the Constitution. Actually you don't have to go that far. Just drop down to section five and read that little gem. Congress has FULL power, nada to the President.

Never. It violates most of the rest of the Constitution. Actually you don't have to go that far. Just drop down to section five and read that little gem. Congress has FULL power, nada to the President.

Thank you. I am just reading on this topic this morning. Seems Clinton dropped a bomb and all went a flurry.

What farcical horseshit. Even if the debt ceiling isn't raised what does it matter? It's impossible to pay back 50 or so trillion dollars worth of debt...

A default is inevitable no matter how many times you raise the debt ceiling. This entire drama is contrived.

Last edited:
I think they'll do an agreement in the next few days, especially if the markets take a dive. Nobody wants to take the chance of being blamed if no agreement is reached and the economy goes into the dumpster.

The President and Geitner played that card, so far hasn't happened. When it does, folks are going to blame them.

The President and Geitner played that card, so far hasn't happened. When it does, folks are going to blame them.

Depends on how it goes down. Say the Senate passes the Reid plan, and the House passes it's two-step plan. I doubt if the Reid plan gets through the House even though it has no tax increases. But what happens if the House plan dies in the Senate? The Senate already tabled the CCB bill that passed the House, if they were to kill the 2-step plan too, then they look to be the scapegoats IMHO. To avoid that, I think the Senate will pass the House 2-step bill and then it's on Obama. I cannot imagine he'll veto it, even though he said he would. So that's the way I see it, the House bill will get throught the Senate and Obama wil sign it cuz he has to. And then we go through this nutcrunching again in 5 or 6 months.

If 2012 weren't an election year, I don't believe a two-step solution would be on the table. This is going to be their platform and proposing a revisit March is a tactical step of the overall strategy.

If boehner doesn't stick to his guns like in the video below I will become one of those people polled who are unhappy with the republicans too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHsoJQhRUYE]‪John Boehner's republican response on debt crisis‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

From what I gather the prez can invoke the 14th and the courts can challenge it.

The President apparently recognizes the shaky ground that idea rests upon...:eusa_whistle:

Gotta wonder if he's seriously thinking about it though. "They made me do it!", doesn't sound all that farfetched.

'Tis shaky ground indeed; impeachment will follow. Clinton stated that he'd invoke the 14'th in a heartbeat and force the courts to stop him.

I really don't think our government employees should be dabbling in new ways to waste time and resources. I don't care what color they adorn...GET TO WORK, PLAY NICE & maybe I'll hire you again next time.

The debt crisis is making my choices for the next election cycle easier to pick. The spenders will be no votes for me.

Forum List

Back