"Deadliest Catch" Captain Phil Harris Dies

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Discovery Mourns the Loss of Captain Phil Harris

UPDATE: February 9, 2010: It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. - Jake and Josh Harris

Statement from Discovery - Discovery mourns the loss of dear friend and colleague Captain Phil Harris. He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew.

Deadliest Catch : Discovery Channel

This is sad! :(
I am sure his son's are heartbroken, you could always tell that they loved him a lot.

This is sad! :(
I am sure his son's are heartbroken, you could always tell that they loved him a lot.

Yeah, I agree. When I read the update the other day where he was telling the doctors "Don't Fuck up" with all of his trademark bluntness, I thought he was going to come through the stroke okay. :(

I didn't even hear he had a stroke! :(
Isn't it Opilio season right now?
I hope his crew makes it through the season, and I feel for his family. I thought he was hilarious.

I hope his crew makes it through the season, and I feel for his family. I thought he was hilarious.

Yup it is opie season. He was offloading the catch ( I assume cameras may have been there) and had a massive stroke-- found him in his state room. Life-flighted him and then did a 12 hour surgery and put him in a medically induced coma for a day or two. All was said to be going okay then this tonight.

Here, sorry, an article to the back story if you will:

'Deadliest Catch' star Phil Harris is currently in hospital after suffering a stroke while unloading his boat.

Read more: 'Deadliest Catch' star Phil Harris, captain of Cornelia Marie, suffers stroke while unloading boat

'Deadliest Catch' Captain Phil Harris woke up from a medically induced coma on Tuesday, TMZ is reporting.

Sons Jake and Josh Harris told TMZ their dad "showed some good signs of improvement."

Read more: 'Deadliest Catch' Captain Phil Harris out of medically induced coma: report

CaféAuLait;1993630 said:

Yup it is opie season. He was offloading the catch ( I assume cameras may have been there) and had a massive stroke-- found him in his state room. Life-flighted him and then did a 12 hour surgery and put him in a medically induced coma for a day or two. All was said to be going okay then this tonight.

He probably had another stroke.

Thanks for all the info.

"Sea-Fever"

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967).
(English Poet Laureate, 1930-1967.)

RIP...

Sunset and evening star
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crossed the bar.

"crossing the bar" tennyson

SparkNotes: Tennyson?s Poetry: ?Crossing the Bar?

What a shame. I love this show and watch it whenever I can.

He will be greatly missed.

Sad to hear..

Phil seemd like a decent man and a great sailor

Very sad news,

RIP Captain Phil Harris, skipper of the Cornelia Marie.

love the Deadliest Catch series and still watch it when I can.
Condolences to the family.

What I couldn't understand with all his medical problems he still smoked a carton of cigs a day. Its was almost like he was asking for it.

RIP

Dumbest show on television and every episode I've watched confirms how totally overfished our oceans are. We should institute an immediate 5 year ban on all commercial fishing and strictly enforce all recreational limits.

If you want to eat it, go catch it yourself.

Poor sod smoked more cigarettes and drank more coffee than I do. Its a wonder he made it this far.

Seemed like a decent enough fellow.

Forum List

Back