Deadbeat Dads (and moms)

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
New Jersey authorities have arrested hundreds of parents who collectively owe more than $18.7 million in child support.

The 1,074 arrests announced today by the Sheriff's Association of New Jersey were made by sheriff's officers and other law enforcement officials during a three-day statewide sweep conducted this week.

Officials say they've collected more than $211,000 in delinquent payments so far.

More than 1,000 arrested in N.J. sweep targeting parents who owe child support | NJ.com

Can someone do the math? :confused:

Is jail the best way to go? I'm conflicted on this, as I imagine many ex's are as well. They can't make money in jail, but if they're not supporting their kids anyway, then eff em. What say you?

You have to look at how the courts award child support. In my state they do it with no regard to the parents ability to pay.

I have a cousin that pays 500 a month for his one child. That was fine when he was making good money but since he got laid off he cant afford it. The courts refuse to lower the amount. Since he is poor he cant afford a good lawyer.

Since he cant get the amount lowered and cant pay it he lost his drivers lic. Now he cant get to work and lost his job. Now they are going to throw him in jail.

Did we not learn that debters prison does not work. The child support system is corrupt and wrong in some states.

PS: He was married to the mom for 5 years she left him for another man.

Last edited:
New Jersey authorities have arrested hundreds of parents who collectively owe more than $18.7 million in child support.

The 1,074 arrests announced today by the Sheriff's Association of New Jersey were made by sheriff's officers and other law enforcement officials during a three-day statewide sweep conducted this week.

Officials say they've collected more than $211,000 in delinquent payments so far.

More than 1,000 arrested in N.J. sweep targeting parents who owe child support | NJ.com

Is jail the best way to go? I'm conflicted on this, as I imagine many ex's are as well. They can't make money in jail, but if they're not supporting their kids anyway, then eff em. What say you?

They're averaging a take of something like $200 per person they're arrested.

My guess is the arresting process costs more than the amount of money collected.

I suspect that NOBODY objects when the state tracks down TRULY deadbeat parents. "Truly deadbeat" means those who have the means to pay, but choose not to.

But I suspect that most "deadbeat" parents simply do not have the money that the courts have ordered them to pay.

Putting those people in jail, or denying them profession licenses, drivers licenses etc, really doesn't help anybody, I suspect.

Last edited:
he is supporting his child....not the ex wife..that is called alimony....

500 bucks a month aint mal when it comes to supporting a child.....125 bucks a week....

i got zero sympathy for anyone who complains about child support

How does all this jive with the smaller government people? Hunting down deadbeat parents and jailing them because they don't want to financially support the family they created is government interference in the family.

We need to understand that if the government is allowed in our family for any reason they then will be involved in all aspects of the family. This is a in or out deal there is no room for middle ground.

he is supporting his child....not the ex wife..that is called alimony....

500 bucks a month aint mal when it comes to supporting a child.....125 bucks a week....

i got zero sympathy for anyone who complains about child support

When you dont make 125 bucks a week then what are you supposed to do. They took his lic and are going to put him in jail. How does that help the child.

If the courts would look at child support in realistic terms instead of just putting a dollar figure on it and refusing to budge.

Trust me he would pay it if he could but he cant. He paid it when he was working.

Now there will be no child support paid and who does that hurt, the child.

I am asking for common sense when it comes to awarding support and the courts being willing to look at the amount as the parents conditions change.

I thought we did away with debtors prisons.
While there are some people who simply ignore their obligations, many people either don't have the money or have some other very good reason why they are not paying.
Putting people in jail for not paying debts is a very bad precedent.

While there are some people who simply ignore their obligations, many people either don't have the money or have some other very good reason why they are not paying.

In regards to debtors prison, if there is no recourse why should I pay my bills? I have an Ex-renter who just won't pay me what they owe me. I have a court order that says they have to pay me. I can't garnish their wages, they quit working and live off the state now. How do I get my money from them? what is my leverage?

In regards to debtors prison, if there is no recourse why should I pay my bills? I have an Ex-renter who just won't pay me what they owe me. I have a court order that says they have to pay me. I can't garnish their wages, they quit working and live off the state now. How do I get my money from them? what is my leverage?

Believe me, I've been there. If I had half the money that renters owed me I'd retire.
But puttiing people in jail for failure to pay debts is unAmerican. It is simply vengeance.

The biannual sweep targets noncustodial parents who have either failed to pay child support or failed to appear at mandatory court hearings to establish child support or medical support.

No sympathy from me. You make choices, you live by them. The bi-annual sweeps are not a secret.

Of course there are all different circumstances, but everyone can afford SOMETHING. A friend of mine is going through hell right now. Her ex hasn't paid a dime in years (she's owed 40K) and he just bought his son a 500 dollar guitar. When she asked where he got the money, he said he is working under the table. She wants to report him and his employer, but her son said he'd never forgive her. I'm sure her story is not uncommon.

How does all this jive with the smaller government people? Hunting down deadbeat parents and jailing them because they don't want to financially support the family they created is government interference in the family.

We need to understand that if the government is allowed in our family for any reason they then will be involved in all aspects of the family. This is a in or out deal there is no room for middle ground.

They are breaking laws and putting a hurt on society.

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is...under that guideline we can justify the government putting their nose into everything from child obessity to welfare to abortions. If you want smaller government you have to take the good with the bad.

Big or small - it's the government's job to enforce the law. These parents have COURT ORDERS to pay. Just like any other judgment for non-payment, there are consequences. They can impose fines instead of jail time, but you can't get blood from a stone.

I imagine jail is pretty humiliating. It might encourage some to pay up to avoid it in the future.

i always fries my pie to hear someone say .......my ex isnt paying child support but i dont want to get him/her in trouble.....i think it is the custodial parents responsibility to make sure the other parent keeps up with payements. you owe it to your kids to make sure they are taken care of. period.

Anybody see this comment from the OP?

In my case, the courts made sure I could never pay. They took 50%-60% of my income and left me unable to afford to travel to work and I lost the best paying job I ever had. The Family Court system is disgusting and these people should be in jail, not the fathers. They impoverish the fathers and make them unable to pay and then they punish them for being unable to do the impossible. The liars and feminist scum on here will tell you it's about the child being able to eat. Bull. It's almost never about that. It's about enriching the mother and the father's expense.

Is that common?

R.D. said:

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is...under that guideline we can justify the government putting their nose into everything from child obessity to welfare to abortions. If you want smaller government you have to take the good with the bad.

I think you're blurring the lines for arguments sake

Forum List

Back