Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibition in NYC

ForeverYoung436

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2009
Today I was at the Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibition in Times Square, New York. There were LOTS of coins, pottery and seals from the periods of Kings David, Solomon and Hezekiah of ancient ISRAEL, as well as the Hasmonean kings. A lot of names stamped on the seals matched those of office-holders mentioned in the Bible. In addition, there were actual stones from the Second Temple! And, of course, there were some of the actual Dead Sea scrolls that were found in caves. There was NOTHING from the fictional country of Palestine on view.

Bear in mind at the time the Jews were writing down their gossipy histories, the English, Swedes, Danes, Germans, Russians, French, Spaniards, Hungarians, et all were living naked in mud huts and had no writing systems at all.

Bear in mind at the time the Jews were writing down their gossipy histories, the English, Swedes, Danes, Germans, Russians, French, Spaniards, Hungarians, et all were living naked in mud huts and had no writing systems at all.

There is no doubt of Israel's history. It is long, well documented and proven stronger yearly.

Today, however, there exist Palestinians with babies born on the land and proof that they have also lived on this land for a long time as well.

Regarding the gossipy 'nature' you speak of Baruch. Would you please expand on your meaning of this word in the context of the statement so that I don't mistake you?

Today I was at the Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibition in Times Square, New York. There were LOTS of coins, pottery and seals from the periods of Kings David, Solomon and Hezekiah of ancient ISRAEL, as well as the Hasmonean kings. A lot of names stamped on the seals matched those of office-holders mentioned in the Bible. In addition, there were actual stones from the Second Temple! And, of course, there were some of the actual Dead Sea scrolls that were found in caves. There was NOTHING from the fictional country of Palestine on view.

pals are jordanians. on a totally other subject... how was the exhibit?

Ropey: It is far more personality oriented than the stuff we had on europe in high school.

Jael, the lady Joshua's spies found in Jerico, David and Bathsheba and Uriah, Ahab and Jezebel, Esther. All about the people involved rather than the great movements.

Part of what makes the Exodus story so compelling is the two protagonists are brothers. And of course the whole deal with Isacc and he relations with Lahem and his daughters.

There is no doubt of Israel's history. It is long, well documented and proven stronger yearly.

Today, however, there exist Palestinians with babies born on the land and proof that they have also lived on this land for a long time as well.

Regarding the gossipy 'nature' you speak of Baruch. Would you please expand on your meaning of this word in the context of the statement so that I don't mistake you?

Maybe so, but are those people different than the people in Jordan? Syria? Lebanon? They have their countries, if there were no Jews in the region there would be no Israel and there would be no "Palestine" So really it is about the Jews not the so called “Palestinians”

Maybe so, but are those people different than the people in Jordan? Syria? Lebanon? They have their countries, if there were no Jews in the region there would be no Israel and there would be no "Palestine" So really it is about the Jews not the so called “Palestinians”

The reality is that it doesn't matter at this time Jroc. Just like I believe Judea and Samaria are lands of Israel, at this point in time, that's not reality.

I stick with what is, not with what was or should be if I had my way.

It doesn't matter if they are not genetically different than the Arabs in Jordan because the Palestinian 'cause' is now hard rooted. Now since 78% of the Palestinian partition was given to Trans-Jordan before the creation of Israel, the demarcation is also a legal one.

They were offered a partition when the Jews were offered. The problem is not that they should or should not be there imo.

The problem is that they (Hamas and Fatah) as well as most of the pan Arabian middle east (and greater) want the end of Israel.

That's what I see as the problem.

The reality is that it doesn't matter at this time Jroc. Just like I believe Judea and Samaria are lands of Israel, at this point in time, that's not reality.

It doesn't matter if they are not genetically different than the Arabs in Jordan because the Palestinian 'cause' is now hard rooted. Now since 78% of the Palestinian partition was given to Trans-Jordan before the creation of Israel, the demarcation is also a legal one.

They were offered a partition when the Jews were offered. The problem is not that they should or should not be there imo.

The problem is that they (Hamas and Fatah) as well as most of the pan Arabian middle east (and greater) want the end of Israel.

That's what I see as the problem

And that is not going to change, You know that so why should we pretend that it will?

That's what I see as the problem

And that is not going to change, You know that so why should we pretend that it will?

I don't know that Jroc. You are the one who has lost hope it seems. I have not.

In our Song of Songs, the moving love that shows the loving relationship between our G‑d and H-s created nation "Israel" the "dove" is an adjective often used to describe the the connection for the Jewish people.

The dove mates for life and when all other birds rest on branches, etc. when they become tired, the dove pushes off the ground with one wing and flies with the other.

Israel is ready and strong. For whichever choice is made by those who wish to destroy it. If they wish to make a timely peace, then this is possible as well. I will not second guess the L-rd. I will not say that this event is that one.

I will say it could be.

Cool, now that palistanians have been accepted to the UNESCO mustard-pot, we expect the latter to peddle a "thousand-year-palistanian" temple and other lies, of course.

Is King DAVID mentioned on any coins or documents?

Why is there a pottery lamp with CROSSes emblazed on the handle?

Last edited:

The Dead Sea Scrolls are a collection of 972 texts from the Hebrew Bible and extra-biblical documents found between 1947 and 1956 on the northwest shore of the Dead Sea, from which they derive their name. They were specifically located at Khirbet Qumran in the British Mandate for Palestine, in what is now named the West Bank.

Dead Sea Scrolls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strange since they were found in Palestine.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are a collection of 972 texts from the Hebrew Bible and extra-biblical documents found between 1947 and 1956 on the northwest shore of the Dead Sea, from which they derive their name. They were specifically located at Khirbet Qumran in the British Mandate for Palestine, in what is now named the West Bank.

not really. there was no such thing as palestine when they were written. and there is no such thing as a palestinian. that's a name the brits made up for the mandate.

not really. there was no such thing as palestine when they were written. and there is no such thing as a palestinian. that's a name the brits made up for the mandate.

It WAS Palestine when they were found there.

It was Globarch in 4000 BC.

Once agin this MISINFORMATION is advanced as truth.

there is no such thing as a palestinian. that's a name the brits made up for the mandate

The ROMANS called it Palestine, kiddo.

They did that about the same time they named England and Wales Britannia, FYI

there is no such thing as a palestinian. that's a name the brits made up for the mandate

"palestine" was never arab and the people now calling themselves "palestinians" are transjordanians who jordan wants no part of.

before 135 A.D., the Romans used the terms Judea and Galilee to refer to the Land of Israel. When Titus destroyed Jerusalem in 70 A.D., the Roman government struck a coin with the phrase “Judea Capta,” meaning Judea has been captured. The term Palestine was never used in the early Roman designations.

It was not until the Romans crushed the second Jewish revolt against Rome in 135 A.D. under Bar Kochba that Emperor Hadrian applied the term Palestine to the Land of Israel. Hadrian, like many dictators since his time realized the propaganda power of terms and symbols. He replaced the shrines of the Jewish Temple and the Sepulchre of Christ in Jerusalem with temples to pagan deities. He changed the name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitalina, and changed the name of Israel and Judea to Palestine. Hadrian’s selection of Palestine was purposeful, not accidental. He took the name of the ancient enemies of Israel, the Philistines, Latinized it to Palestine, and applied it to the Land of Israel. He hoped to erase the name Israel from all memory. Thus, the term Palestine as applied to the Land of Israel was invented by the inveterate enemy of the Bible and the Jewish people, Emperor Hadrian.

It is interesting to note that the original Philistines were not Middle Eastern at all. They were European peoples from the Adriatic sea next to Greece. It may have pleased Hadrian to utilize this Hellenistic term for the Jewish land. In any case, the original “Palestinians” had nothing to do, whatsoever, with any Arabs.

Palestine vs. Israel as the Name of the Holy Land

Jill notes that:
"palestine" was never arab and the people now calling themselves "palestinians" are transjordanians who jordan wants no part of.

Never suggested they did, Jill.

I am merely trying to end THAT pernicious UNTRUTH that is so often advanced often in this place about the name Palestine.

The PHILESTINES were the folks living on the COAST of what is now Isreal and LEBANON. The Israelis were really not coastal people. The earliest Jews not really sea traders, and not really into the Mediterannian focused life at all.

They were originally nomadic sheepherders, after all, which is one the reasons that Jerusalem is NOT on the coast but INLAND from the coast..

before 135 A.D., the Romans used the terms Judea and Galilee to refer to the Land of Israel. When Titus destroyed Jerusalem in 70 A.D., the Roman government struck a coin with the phrase “Judea Capta,” meaning Judea has been captured. The term Palestine was never used in the early Roman designations.

It was not until the Romans crushed the second Jewish revolt against Rome in 135 A.D. under Bar Kochba that Emperor Hadrian applied the term Palestine to the Land of Israel. Hadrian, like many dictators since his time realized the propaganda power of terms and symbols. He replaced the shrines of the Jewish Temple and the Sepulchre of Christ in Jerusalem with temples to pagan deities. He changed the name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitalina, and changed the name of Israel and Judea to Palestine. Hadrian’s selection of Palestine was purposeful, not accidental. He took the name of the ancient enemies of Israel, the Philistines, Latinized it to Palestine, and applied it to the Land of Israel. He hoped to erase the name Israel from all memory. Thus, the term Palestine as applied to the Land of Israel was invented by the inveterate enemy of the Bible and the Jewish people, Emperor Hadrian.

It is interesting to note that the original Philistines were not Middle Eastern at all. They were European peoples from the Adriatic sea next to Greece. It may have pleased Hadrian to utilize this Hellenistic term for the Jewish land. In any case, the original “Palestinians” had nothing to do, whatsoever, with any Arabs.

Yes, just as your quote suggests, the Philistines were a HELLENIC culture. As to their genome? That is hardly relevant to this debate

And the Hellenic culture and the Jewish culture had a long history of antipathy with each other since they were both ended up competing for the area that we now call Israel.

I don't know why people want to rewrite this well known history.

And I certainly don't know why people refuse to beleive it when it is posted time after time, either.

It isn't like there a serious historically debate about this issue.

What that place used to be called, doesn't make tinker's damn worth of difference in the moden debate.

The solution to today's problem is going to take people looking to the future, not looking to the past.

Last edited:

Is King DAVID mentioned on any coins or documents?

Why is there a pottery lamp with CROSSes emblazed on the handle?

Sounds like you also saw the exhibit. Crosses from the Crusader period account for less than 5% of that exhibit. And "the House of David" were found on some artifacts.

Jill notes that:

Never suggested they did, Jill.

I am merely trying to end THAT pernicious UNTRUTH that is so often advanced often in this place about the name Palestine.

The PHILESTINES were the folks living on the COAST of what is now Isreal and LEBANON. The Israelis were really not coastal people. The earliest Jews not really sea traders, and not really into the Mediterannian focused life at all.

They were originally nomadic sheepherders, after all, which is one the reasons that Jerusalem is NOT on the coast but INLAND from the coast..

Yes, just as your quote suggests, the Philistines were a HELLENIC culture. As to their genome? That is hardly relevant to this debate

And the Hellenic culture and the Jewish culture had a long history of antipathy with each other since they were both ended up competing for the area that we now call Israel.

I don't know why people want to rewrite this well known history.

And I certainly don't know why people refuse to beleive it when it is posted time after time, either.

It isn't like there a serious historically debate about this issue.

What that place used to be called, doesn't make tinker's damn worth of difference in the moden debate.

The solution to today's problem is going to take people looking to the future, not looking to the past.

I agree with the last line of your post here.

Forum List

Back