DC to search homes for guns

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=58825

The District of Columbia police department is preparing to launch a massive new home-by-home search program to confiscate and destroy handguns, despite arguments pending before the U.S. Supreme Court that challenges the constitutionality of its ban on residents having such weapons.

"Right now we're working under the laws that we have, and we'll continue working under the laws that we have," Police Chief Cathy Lanier said in announcing the program that targets all handguns in the district.

The voluntary program would work like this, according to Traci Hughes, an official with the Metropolitan Police Department: Residents of homes or apartments would contact police and ask them to come and search for such weaponry, they would sign a release, and officers would conduct the search.

Before long the only one's with guns will be the common criminal.:clap2:

They have to act fast cause the Roberts court will likely uphold the 2nd Amendment.

If not, who cares? Nobody is getting my gun.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=58825

The District of Columbia police department is preparing to launch a massive new home-by-home search program to confiscate and destroy handguns, despite arguments pending before the U.S. Supreme Court that challenges the constitutionality of its ban on residents having such weapons.

"Right now we're working under the laws that we have, and we'll continue working under the laws that we have," Police Chief Cathy Lanier said in announcing the program that targets all handguns in the district.

The voluntary program would work like this, according to Traci Hughes, an official with the Metropolitan Police Department: Residents of homes or apartments would contact police and ask them to come and search for such weaponry, they would sign a release, and officers would conduct the search.

Before long the only one's with guns will be the common criminal.:clap2:

And the ramifications for NOT "volunteering?" This is a PERFECT example of EXACTLY what gun owners have been arguing. If this doesn't smack of police state and unarmed citizens at the mercy of it, I don't what does.

The question I have is why would anyone want to live in DC anyway?

Foolish though it may sound, some of us think they can stop the liberal assault on America by moving to the belly of the beast and going to work for a Republican congressman or conservative think tank...

Foolish though it may sound, some of us think they can stop the liberal assault on America by moving to the belly of the beast and going to work for a Republican congressman or conservative think tank...

Too bad most of those Republican congressmen and conservative think tanks have only been CONTRIBUTING to the liberal assault on America lately.

your sounding a little tin foily there gunny

Actually no. My response is to the facts presented in the original post.

The police are required to have a search warrant or probable cause to enter a private dwelling, and then, they can only search for what is on the warrant and seize only that and what is in plain sight.

That coersion to "volunteer" might be involved is only speculation on my part, and I have no problem identifying it as such since it is a natural progression from the facts presented in the original post.

Or does it make sense to you that people would just volunteer out of the blue to have the police come search their homes?

Too bad most of those Republican congressmen and conservative think tanks have only been CONTRIBUTING to the liberal assault on America lately.

Aye.

For years, conservatives have CRAVED the approval of the liberal elite. Not the other way around. That tells you who's got "hand" in the relationship.

Interesting approach by the DC Metro police. If you surrender the weapon that's okay, if we find it, you're in big trouble. As Gunny pointed out, police have to have a damn good reason to be in your house. I think they're just putting the frighteners on the good folks of DC.

Something similar happens here. Once a year (usually) the Commissioner of Police (who is also the statutory registrar of firearms) will announce an amnesty. You get to bring your unregistered/prohibited firearms into your local police station and you don't get pinched. This has sometimes unfortunate consequences. More than once a WWII hand grenade from grandad (who pinched it off a German soldier's body) has turned up. Good way to empty a police station :rofl:

Interesting approach by the DC Metro police. If you surrender the weapon that's okay, if we find it, you're in big trouble. As Gunny pointed out, police have to have a damn good reason to be in your house. I think they're just putting the frighteners on the good folks of DC.

Something similar happens here. Once a year (usually) the Commissioner of Police (who is also the statutory registrar of firearms) will announce an amnesty. You get to bring your unregistered/prohibited firearms into your local police station and you don't get pinched. This has sometimes unfortunate consequences. More than once a WWII hand grenade from grandad (who pinched it off a German soldier's body) has turned up. Good way to empty a police station :rofl:

LOL

Forum List

Back