DC sniper gets just desserts

K

kcmcdonald

By MATTHEW BARAKAT, Associated Press Writer

MANASSAS, Va. - John Allen Muhammad was sentenced to death Tuesday for his role in the sniper shootings that terrorized the Washington area.

Circuit Judge LeRoy F. Millette Jr. turned aside a plea from Muhammad's lawyers to spare their client's life. He ordered Muhammad executed on Oct. 14, but that date likely will be postponed to allow appeals.

Muhammad, 43, was convicted of capital murder on Nov. 17 and a jury recommended he be sentenced to death for the murder of Dean Harold Meyers at a gas station near Manassas.

Muhammad denied any involvement in the killings Tuesday, telling the judge, "Don't make a fool of the Constitution of the United States of America."

"Just like I said at the beginning, I had nothing to do with this, and I'll say again, I had nothing to do with this," Muhammad said.

Defense lawyers had filed a motion Monday arguing that life in prison was the more appropriate sentence to eliminate the disparity between Muhammad's punishment and that of his 18-year-old partner in the killings, Lee Boyd Malvo.

Malvo, who will be formally sentenced Wednesday in Chesapeake, was given life in prison by the jury in that case. Circuit Judge Jane Marum Roush has no leeway to alter that sentence. In Virginia, judges can accept a jury's sentence recommendation or reduce it, but cannot increase it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20040309/ap_on_re_us/sniper_shootings_muhammad_12

good god bless the death penalty, i hope his 72 virgins have herpeas!!!!! HE HE

Malvo also cited different reasons for the shootings, which he is alleged to have committed with John Allen Muhammad.

Davis testified that Malvo told him they committed the shootings because white people shot (Nation of Islam leader) Louis Farrakhan, and that when Farrakhan was in the hospital, the hospital gave him cancer.

When Davis asked him why he also then shot black people, he said Malvo told him that if he only shot white people, the police would have caught up with him more quickly
http://crime.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...com/2003/LAW/07/24/sprj.dcsp.malvo/index.html

That's not good enough. It is my understanding the boy did most, if not all, of the shooting. Unfortunately his jury recommended life. I would hope the Judge supersedes this recommendation (though I don't think that's legal). These two men no longer offer society anything and we should not pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars it will take to keep one of them in jail for the rest of hs life. They should both be executed.

Forum List

Back