DC Electoral College rights

The problem is this.

There are residents in D.C. The District of Columbia should be nothing more then a place where the business of America is conducted. There should be no residents at all.

You want a Electorate voice. Live in one of the 50 States or territories of the United States.

You've never been there, have you?

The problem is this.

There are residents in D.C. The District of Columbia should be nothing more then a place where the business of America is conducted. There should be no residents at all.

You want a Electorate voice. Live in one of the 50 States or territories of the United States.

You've never been there, have you?

I think what Darkwind is advancing is one of the alternatives that has been on the table for decades. That a "Federal Enclave" be designated for all government functions. Then the balance of the District be ceded back to Maryland.

Maryland has always resisted, in large part because of the poverty they would be left dealing with. Instead, DC has torn down most of the poverty stricken areas forcing the former residents to live elsewhere. (where precisely? You guessed it, Prince Georges county Maryland). So, Maryland actually ended up with the shaft and none of the benefit.

Should efforts in this direction continue, the balance of DC residential may be more palatable to MD. Although there is still pockets of poverty remaining.

Perfect example of why we have problems with over reaching Government, people that jst do not give a rats ass that the Government is operating illegally outside the power granted it by the Constitution.

Are you favoring not giving the people of the District of Columbia a right to vote for President?

Why do people always jump to "So is it a good idea?" instead of dealing with the question of "Is it a good idea to do it THIS WAY?" Didn't y'all's mothers ever teach you that the end doesn't justify the means?

What dishonest pukes we have for Congress critters. They KNOW that to give DC this right requires an amendment to the Constitution yet they keep trying to do it through an act of Congress.

An actual Amendment WAS submitted for this very purpose and failed to get the needed support to be ratified.

You know, for a long time I have had the feeling that the people we have in Congress were dishonest pukes - or maybe even worse - but I could never come to actually believe it. You have changed my mind. They are dishonest pukes! Thanks. As far as DC getting a seat in the Electoral College, I don't support it because they are not a State and it was not the intention of our founding Fathers for Washington, DC to be a State. DC should just suck it up and be grateful for all the other perks Congress gives them every year.

Or move.

Hell, no, we don't want that. But this is not the first time Congress has attempted introducing this particular proposal that is unconstitutional. Off hand, I can't think of any other unconstitutional bills they've considered, but I don't think that is anything new.

But, this is the beauty of separation of powers and checks and balances. IF they don't work, I'll worry about that aspect of this topic. But, right now, the aspect of the topic that annoys me is the inefficiency of it. Why the hell lawmakers either don't know the fundamentals of our laws, or do and willfully waste time is my issue with it right now.

Scarlett O, here: I'll worry about a potential failure of checks and balances tomorrow (or whenever I need to worry about it). For now, the waste of time annoys me and obviously I must often be annoyed with Congress. :)

They are trying to wear us down. They will know they have succeeded when they do it and no one raises a fuss. These inroads against the Constitution take place all the time in states rights, religious rights, free speech issues, gun rights. They are attempting to show the Constitution to be a dysfunctional document, and then go from there.
none of these politician you say are out for their own interests would be able to vote in DC.
And what about the part of the constitution that says no taxation without representation?
The people who are tax paying citizens of DC have no voting power in congress but they have to pay the taxes that congress passes.

What part of the Constitution says, "No taxation without representation", Brain Trust? Please cite us the specific Article or Amendment.

They are trying to wear us down. They will know they have succeeded when they do it and no one raises a fuss. These inroads against the Constitution take place all the time in states rights, religious rights, free speech issues, gun rights. They are attempting to show the Constitution to be a dysfunctional document, and then go from there.
none of these politician you say are out for their own interests would be able to vote in DC.
And what about the part of the constitution that says no taxation without representation?
The people who are tax paying citizens of DC have no voting power in congress but they have to pay the taxes that congress passes.

What part of the Constitution says, "No taxation without representation", Brain Trust? Please cite us the specific Article or Amendment.

Took care of that one already. See post 32 :cool:

Forum List

Back