Daylight's End {2016}

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
"Years after a mysterious plague has devastated the planet and turned most of humanity into blood-hungry creatures, a rogue drifter on a vengeful hunt stumbles across a band of survivors in an abandoned police station and reluctantly agrees to try to help them defend themselves and escape to the sanctuary they so desperately need" (source of film-summary: Internet Movie Database [IMDb]).

This gritty modern film set in an apocalyptic Earth is reminiscent of other plague-survivalism films and apocalypto-themed films such as Mad Max, but what sets "Daylight's End" [2016] apart is its realistic portrayal of gritty urban-environment gun-fights and police-bravado decision-making.

The film stars Johnny Strong as Rourke, the protagonist 'rogue drifter' with a knack for survival and shooting, and Lance Henriksen as a man named Frank.

You can surmise the modernism appeal of such a film, since in recent times, problems regarding 9/11, ISIS, North Korea, Enron, the L.A. Race Riots of 1992 (etc.) have made Americans somewhat 'anxious' about proper/efficient 'governance' in urban environments in times of great social strain caused by some factor(s) of extreme 'culture-mobilization.'

What was once Orwell is now more like Stephen King, and what was once Rambo (for the WWII generation) is now characters like Rourke (gritty, gun-wise, and relentless in urban environments like a 'maniac cop').

If you admire politics-oriented imaginarium-dissection (relevant to the real world in multiple orientations!) modernism films such as Edge of Tomorrow (Tom Cruise) or The Post (Tom Hanks) for their 'society-norm intelligence,' then you'll appreciate a 'rough-and-tough graphic' film (somewhat non-mainstream and obviously not a bigtime Hollywood blockbuster) such as Daylight's End for its 'sinister-imagination.'

That's why this is a cool Valentine's Day gift (Blu-ray!) and why I give it a nice 3/5 stars for film-fans looking for 'modernism consciousness.'

It's also cool for bio-toxin sci-fi horror-adventure film-fans looking to 'exorcise' their demons about global warming and dark cities arising from the smog of urban pollution (hehe)!

{re-interpretation dialogue}
====

ROURKE: This planet is a zoo...
FRANK: That's why we need you, Rourke!
ROURKE: I'm a drifter, old man.
FRANK: I may look old, but I understand aid.
ROURKE: I'm not a priest...
FRANK: Alright, but we need your grit.
ROURKE: What you need is a comedian!
FRANK: Very funny, but will you help us?
ROURKE: Well, it's not like I was planning on building a greenhouse.
FRANK: Maybe you can do that someday...
ROURKE: Yeah(!), maybe.
FRANK: Be the zookeeper, man...destroy the abomination.
ROURKE: I should run for President...of Mars.
FRANK: I just might vote for ya.

====

poster.jpg

Forum List

Back