DavidS Weightloss Problem

Interesting. I don't agree. First, for a 6'2", I don't think 300 pounds is too much that diet and exercise cannot reduce it without going to the extreme of surgery. It isn't the actual weight that is important. It's the composition of the weight.

The beautiful thing about the body is I don't think it would allow him to go out and kill himself running a marathon at his height and weight. Of course he has to start out slow and move up. If you were and absolute gym rat and laid off for 6 months I'd advise the same thing.

Most people who don't run can't get more than a half mile first try anyway. If they don't swim, they won't get even 1 lap (in an Olympic pool) without stopping.

I DO agree he should see a doctor.

I agree, Gunny. Very heavy people can exercise without automatically leading to a heart attack. But, like you said, he has to go slowly.

Probably the worse outcome from advancing exercise too quickly in a heavy person is likely orthopedic problems, such as ligamentous or meniscal tears in the knees.

That's what I was thinking. Knees, ankles and feet.

Head, shoulders, knees, and toes...

So, I just put a brand new lithium ion battery in my scale. Goddamnit. 6'2 and 300 lbs. I've got to do something about this. Something drastic. Any ideas? :tomato:

Call your local school district, volunteer for Special Olympics, you'll get a workout and you'll be doing something good. Those kids are troopers. I'm old and decrepit and I'm getting a regular workout now every Mon and Thur at Special Olympics Track practice. Now I need to add it a couple of other days of exercise and I'll be set. I'm one of those though, that doesn't seem to be able to do it by myself, I need a commitment, hence the volunteering for special Olympics.

So, I just put a brand new lithium ion battery in my scale. Goddamnit. 6'2 and 300 lbs. I've got to do something about this. Something drastic. Any ideas? :tomato:

Call your local school district, volunteer for Special Olympics, you'll get a workout and you'll be doing something good. Those kids are troopers. I'm old and decrepit and I'm getting a regular workout now every Mon and Thur at Special Olympics Track practice. Now I need to add it a couple of other days of exercise and I'll be set. I'm one of those though, that doesn't seem to be able to do it by myself, I need a commitment, hence the volunteering for special Olympics.

What distances do they run in the competition?

Some run, some walk, no wheelchairs this year. We have the 50 meter run, the 50 meter walk, the 100 meter run, the 100 meter walk, the 200 meter walk, the 400 meter walk, the softball throw, the running long jump. It varies every year depending on the kids. A lot of them need help walking around the track, that's where you get your exercise, that and picking up that stupid softball. Sometimes you have to walk or run with them to get them to go. I don't run, but I do walk and so far, I've been sore every day I've gotten back this year, but I feel better, I'm recovering after a really bad winter with my back out so bad I hardly got out of bed for 6 weeks. This is the first year I've actually volunteered on a regular basis. I'm ashamed to say, in the past I've used them for babysitting. But now that I have my son in an AFH, it's like spending quality time with him. We both enjoy it more.

Some run, some walk, no wheelchairs this year. We have the 50 meter run, the 50 meter walk, the 100 meter run, the 100 meter walk, the 200 meter walk, the 400 meter walk, the softball throw, the running long jump. It varies every year depending on the kids. A lot of them need help walking around the track, that's where you get your exercise, that and picking up that stupid softball. Sometimes you have to walk or run with them to get them to go. I don't run, but I do walk and so far, I've been sore every day I've gotten back this year, but I feel better, I'm recovering after a really bad winter with my back out so bad I hardly got out of bed for 6 weeks. This is the first year I've actually volunteered on a regular basis. I'm ashamed to say, in the past I've used them for babysitting. But now that I have my son in an AFH, it's like spending quality time with him. We both enjoy it more.

Sounds good. And rewarding.

BTW, what is AFH?

I don't eat junk food anymore.
I don't eat many fruits and vegetables.
I do eat a lot of complex carbs and breads.
I do not get nearly enough sleep.
I do eat at odd hours a lot of the time.
I get moderate exercise. I walk a lot. Sometimes a brisk walk. Though as cold as the past 6 months have been, I have not walked nearly enough.
I rarely eat fried foods. Maybe once or twice a month, if that. I don't eat fast food. EVER.
I do eat A LOT of chicken and not nearly as much fish, but the fish part is changing thanks to Jillian.

Part of the weight gain was from last Autumn. I was having horrible, horrible digestive issues and one of the ways I was dealing with my heartburn was eating ice cream.
I sometimes ate 3 full pints of ice cream in one week because my heartburn would be so bad every night. No antacid would even make a dent in the heartburn. I haven't done that in a while, though.
the problem is the antacid, it takes away the symptoms but creates other problems. Best way to relieve acid relflux or heart burn is do not sleep on your stomach, eat at regular times of the day, and drink water after you have dairy products of any kind.
I have had digestive problems forever and than I go the worst heart burn when I was pregnant and you can't take hardly anything.
As for your weight loss go on weight watchers, my friend has last 60lbs so far, plus it teaches you how to eat and they have a support group.

Dude... three suggestions:

1. drink tea (unsweetened) or water with a splash of lemon juice

2. You live in a city with convenient blocks to walk laps around. do it. Get a dog and walk him. Raise your heartrate as if you were running from a mugger. lift for muscle mass (muscle burns more calories) but focus on cardio.

3. Eat right. Go buy a george forman and grill up boneless, skinnless chicken, fish and veggies. Make your lunches for the week on Sundays so you can control your daily caloric intake. Trade all fried and deep fried food for baked food. Stay away from processed foods and don't pretend that a salad with layers of unhealthy shit is good for you.

dude...thats disgusting...any suggestions ...ya get off your lazy ass and do something

How very original, and helpful..

Given the nature of most of the other replies, and the fact that the other ankle-biting snapdragons had ceased their inane comments, one would think this thread had taken a rather serious turn, and that one would post accordingly. Or, at least refrain from posting at all...

But I suppose that concept is lost on some people.

dude...thats disgusting...any suggestions ...ya get off your lazy ass and do something

Given the nature of most of the other replies, and the fact that the other ankle-biting snapdragons had ceased their inane comments, one would think this thread had taken a rather serious turn, and that one would post accordingly. Or, at least refrain from posting at all...

I'm surprised that eots didn't claim that there was a conspiracy between scale manufacturers and NordicTrak Corporation to make people think they were fatter than they actually are and encourage them to purchase more exercise equipment.

I'm surprised that eots didn't claim that there was a conspiracy between scale manufacturers and NordicTrak Corporation to make people think they were fatter than they actually are and encourage them to purchase more exercise equipment.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Blame it on the Illuminati!

I'm thinking even that would have been more productive than his last offering.

Sounds good. And rewarding.

BTW, what is AFH?

It's an adult family home. My son is in one that is run by a Kenyan family and so far it's working out well. There are 5 residents, my son being one of them, 3 of them are men near his age, one of those men is very close to his level. There is one old woman who I think has Alzheimer. I keep telling Leonard (the guy who runs the home) that he should be paying her as she keeps cleaning up after the boys.

I agree, Gunny. Very heavy people can exercise without automatically leading to a heart attack. But, like you said, he has to go slowly.

Probably the worse outcome from advancing exercise too quickly in a heavy person is likely orthopedic problems, such as ligamentous or meniscal tears in the knees.

That's what I was thinking. Knees, ankles and feet.

Head, shoulders, knees, and toes...

knees and toes

What's with the toes? That's one injury I've never really had that I recall. I played a lot of basketball and was heavy into martial arts, not to mention running in combat boots. MY injuries were knees and ankles. Broken both my ankles. Sprained them at least a dozen times each. Have chronic tendonitis in one knee.

Running is fun.:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back