David Petraeus pleads guilty to mishandling classified information

InfoQuest

Rookie
Mar 1, 2015
Former CIA Director, General David Petraeus has agreed to a plea bargain with the US Justice Department over charges he mishandled classified information.

Regrettably most media outlets are reporting the story as David Petraeus gave classified documents to his mistress. That sounds more lurid than the fact Petraeus shared classified information with Paula Broadwell, a woman who has had counterterrorist assignments as an Army intelligence officer. Lt. Colonel Broadwell held a Top Secret security clearance when she was writing a biography of David Petraeus. While she was working on the book, Petraeus loaned her personal notebooks that contained details of his schedule and notes he took during meetings with President Obama.

Broadwell has lost her security clearance. Petraeus lost his job as CIA Director in 2012 and will reportedly pay a $40,000 fine. Petraeus initially denied passing classified information to Broadwell. My assumption is his notebooks did not have classified markings, but he should have known there was classified content.

Last edited:
Does this "plea bargain" include a confidentiality clause regarding Benghazi?

Doubtful. David Petraeus has already testified to the House Intelligence Committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee about Benghazi.

He reportedly said that Ansar al Sharia (an al-Qaeda affiliate) was suspected early on of carrying out the attack but that fact was not revealed in public statements because the US did not want the terrorists to know we knew their identity and were hunting for them.

If I remember correctly all references to al-Qaeda were removed from the talking points before Susan Rice's appearances on Sunday morning press shows.

Doubtful. David Petraeus has already testified to the House Intelligence Committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee about Benghazi.

He reportedly said that Ansar al Sharia (an al-Qaeda affiliate) was suspected early on of carrying out the attack but that fact was not revealed in public statements because the US did not want the terrorists to know we knew their identity and were hunting for them.

If I remember correctly all references to al-Qaeda were removed from the talking points before Susan Rice's appearances on Sunday morning press shows.
Is that another excuse for obama's complete lack of preparation on the anniversary of 9-11?

Is that another excuse for obama's complete lack of preparation on the anniversary of 9-11?
How could you reach that conclusion and why is it germane to this discussion about Broadwell and Petraeus?

How could you reach that conclusion and why is it germane to this discussion about Broadwell and Petraeus?

It's because some hyper-partisan hacks just can't let go of Benghazi and Obama. This despite recent other presidents from both parties had their own Benghazi's in the ME, where there were warnings and many more Americans died than at Benghazi as a result of their incompetence.
But that doesn't matter to these losers.

This is all about Hussein and Holder holding an ESPIONAGE charge over Petraeus' head for over 3 years. Although that charge would be bizarre, they had him over a barrel and sweated him like a crack dealer....despicable assholes. He's also been prevented from seeking office, had his fine career, including winning the Iraq War, besmirched, and held as a warning to any officer who doesn't march lock-step with the Regime.

Obama's inconsistency in blaming a video and blaming terrorism and the incongruent chronology of that. Like he didn't want the bad guys to know that he knew what the bad guys wanted everyone to know in the first place. All to cover a complete lapse in preparation.

It's because some hyper-partisan hacks just can't let go of Benghazi and Obama. This despite recent other presidents from both parties had their own Benghazi's in the ME, where there were warnings and many more Americans died than at Benghazi as a result of their incompetence.
But that doesn't matter to these losers.
The only partisan hacks are the Nixon apologists who excuse obama's dereliction in protecting US interests on the most conspicuous of dates and the subsequent coverup of that failure.
You attempt to excuse this corruption by trying to point to other failures as if they all would justify each other.
Show me those presidents from both parties who failed in protecting American interests post 9-11 on any following 9-11. There have only been two and one is the current hack.

Forum List

Back