David Cameron drops JNF

The news of Cameron’s move has reached Palestinians in refugee camps, people whose land is under the control of the JNF. Salah Ajarma in Bethlehem’s Aida Refugee Camp was “delighted to hear the news that the British Prime Minister has decided to withdraw his support for this sinister organisation involved in ethnic cleansing. My village, Ajjur, was taken by force from my family and given to the JNF who used money from JNF UK to plant the British Park on its ruins. For the Palestinians who were evicted from their villages and have been prevented from returning, Cameron's withdrawal is another victory on the road to achieving justice and freedom for the Palestinians".

Stop the JNF Campaign

The news of Cameron’s move has reached Palestinians in refugee camps, people whose land is under the control of the JNF. Salah Ajarma in Bethlehem’s Aida Refugee Camp was “delighted to hear the news that the British Prime Minister has decided to withdraw his support for this sinister organisation involved in ethnic cleansing. My village, Ajjur, was taken by force from my family and given to the JNF who used money from JNF UK to plant the British Park on its ruins. For the Palestinians who were evicted from their villages and have been prevented from returning, Cameron's withdrawal is another victory on the road to achieving justice and freedom for the Palestinians".

Stop the JNF Campaign

That is what is to be hoped. He is not saying why he withdrew but there was an early day motion in Parliament

Early day motion 1677 - UK Parliament

I have no idea where Cameron stands as he seems to be a person who says all things to all people but like Sarkozy he has said that if Israel does not engage in meaningful talks with the Palestinians before September, Britain may recognise the Palestinian State. Since around 2000 all the political parties in the UK have had great support from and give great support to 'Friends of Israel'. It is hoped this may be the beginning of our government looking a bit more honestly at the situation from the values we are supposed to hold.

Traditionally from the 70's Labour were very critical of Israel, the Conservatives less so and when labour were elected in '97, I expected some pressure on Israel to change. I did not reckon on the 'Friends of Israel' or Tony Blair who I know some people, Alan Hart for instance believes is a Christian Zionist and then followed by Gordon Brown who apparently used to bore the Jewish meetings he went to with repeated stories of his father's sayings as a Zionist Christian.

At least Cameron is not caught in that noose (to the best of my knowledge)

Really a lot seems to be simply about awareness. Believe it or not until recently most Europeans apparently did not even know Palestine was occupied! As they become more educated on the subject, their support for Israel declines - note issues not antisemitism.

Same with the JNF. It claims to be involved in environmental work. The Scottish Palestinian Solidarity Campaign has managed with protests and making people aware of what they do to stop all but one of their fundraising events in Scotland. The one left is a golf tournament where their protests have already reduced the number of competitors significantly.

| End fund-raising in Scotland for ethnic cleansing in Palestine

I am hopeful for change.

Forum List

Back