David Brooks Puts Pres. Bush, Gov't On Blast

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
wow. now realize i was watching this on Armed Forces Network and literally dumped curry all over my uniform because i could not believe david brooks, one of the finest conservative writers in America, actualy said this.

Ladies and gentleman, the political shitstorm is going to be a category 5....

http://driftglass.blogspot.com/2005/09/i-shot-oliphant-in-my-pajamas.html

Everyone is at fault...which means no one is at fault.

But it was Brooks – David Effing Brooks – who was considerably less charitable.

Here’s a link to the “News Hour” audio – the good stuff starts around timecode 1:20. Emphasis added by me, and all the stuff I have transcribed was said by Brooks except where otherwise indicated.

First, there was a bit of a history lesson about past American floods/disasters and how they changed the political landscape.

Then...

Timecode - 1:20

...(in) moments of extremis (?) people see the power inequalities, the poor suffering, the rich benefiting, and then they react, and so you get these political reactions.

HOST: And OK, now move it to Hurricane Katrina...

BROOKS: I just think it’s a huge reaction we’re about to see. First of all, they violated the social fabric which is, in the moments of crisis, you take care of the poor first. That didn’t happen. It’s like leaving wounded on the battlefield.

...in 9/11, you had a great surge in public confidence. Now I think we’re going to see a great decline in public confidence in our institutions. And so I just think this is the ant-9/11, as one of the bloggers writes.

Timecode - 5:25..

First, of all it’s a national humiliation to see bodies floating in a river for five days in a major American city. But second, you have to remember that this was s delegitimization of institutions. Our institutions completely failed us. And it’s not as if this is the first time (?) in the last three years.

This follows Abu Ghraib, the failure of planning in Iraq, the intelligence failures, the corporate scandals, the media scandals. We’ve had over the past four or five years a whole series of scandals which have soured the public mood. You’ve (?) seen a rise in the feeling that the country’s headed in the wrong direction and I think this is the biggest one. The bursting one. And I must say, personally, it’s the one that really says, “Hey, it feels like the 70’s now.” Where you really have a loss of faith in institutions.

Let’s get out of this mess.

I really think this is so important (as) a cultural moment, like the blackouts of 1977. Its just...people are sick of it.

Timecode - 9:25.

...but to reiterate the point I made earlier, which is this is the anti-9/11.

Just in terms of public confidence. When 9/11 happened, Giuliani, was right there. And just as a public presence, he was forceful. No public presence like that now.

So you had a surge of strength; people felt good about the country even though we’d been hit on 9/11. Now we’ve been hit again in a different way (and) people feel lousy. People feel ashamed. And in part that it because of the public presentation. In part that is because of the failure of Bush to understand immediately the shame people felt.

Sitting up there on the airplane and looking out the window? That was terrible!

And the three days of doing nothing, really, on Bush was terrible.

Even today, I found myself -- and as you know, I support his policies quite often – (but I) look at him today, and earlier in the program...this is how Mark Shields must feel looking at them. I’m angry at the guy, and maybe it’ll pass for me, but a lot of people, and a lot of Republicans, uh, are furious right now.

Timecode - 14:00

...it’s not a tipping point. It’s like a bursting point. People are going to go off in all directions. Just in narrow political terms, a month ago, Rudy Giuliani would have had trouble getting the Republican nomination. Now he could win is a walk if the primary were held soon.

Then on the Democratic side you’re going to see people like John Edwards talking (?) about poverty, which he had been talking about. You’re going to see people all around the country talking about poverty.

There have been enough reasons for me to be more than a bit disappointed in GW, the federal response to Katrina however is not one of them. Actually Eddie, this report about Brooks, reminded me of why I have been uneasy with his 'conservative'/moderate tone in NYTimes. He's neither of these, just a bit brighter than others.

In actuality, GW took to television 2 days prior to the Gulf being struck. He urged the evacuation to state and local officials, but the locals overruled . At the same time, GW declared a 'state of emergency' so that FEMA, as well as local/state governments could move forward their emergency plans. MS and AL did so, as did FEMA. LA/NO seemed to have only have 'emergency plans', though the plan never moved to the implementation stage, for instance, on the paper plan it was noted the high number of poor, carless, citizenry. On paper there was supposed to be the 'commandeering' of school buses to get the people out-which is probably what the mayor later was referring to-yet the local government failed to act. Here's another picture of the vehicles THAT COULD HAVE BEEN USED, now instead adding to the problems.

By Friday, GW and FEMA tried to wrest control from the state, but the offer was declined

Too many are succumbing to the easy out of blaming the Fed. In actuality, disaster preparedness rests squarely on the state/local authorities. The only successes in LA/NO have been from private and federal aid. This is not the case in MS and AL, yet few seem to be making the connection.

I'm sorry, but I still fault the federal government above all others. They simply cannot react to a situation like this and then act in the manner they have. Its horrifying to see the lies coming out of this administration's underlings in charge of FEMA and Homeland Security, among others.

FEMA simply does not know what the hell it is doing (re: Chicago's mayor, among other big city mayors, astounded that FEMA has either yet to respond to their numerous responses of substantial assistance or failed to comprehend the enormity of the resources the cities were offering), which compounds the atrocious fact that the state and local folks did not know what the hell they were doing.

The military response has been flawed as well, ships should have been deployed BEFORE the storm hit, not a day or (three days in the case of the truman) after. National Guard troops should have been on the move before the storm hit, not afterwards. Supplies should have been requisitioned before, not after the storm. Nobody that wasn't insane or discredited said this storm was going to be anything short of a serious disaster.

Then even worse, the federal government was the one trimming the Army Corps of Engineers budget requests for levee upgrades and other flood control projects. Meanwhile, we can afford to bail out the airlines (who did not deserve a bailout) because they don't know how to run a profitable business, to the tune of 15 billion dollars (and then more later).

I'm sorry, but this is the turning point for me, I've grown disgusted with the party in power for the last year, and while still a fan of Pres. Bush and conservative ideals, can no longer praise the trolls who populate this administration and make terrible decisions that come back to not only haunt the president but all of us.

NATO AIR said:
I'm sorry, but I still fault the federal government above all others. They simply cannot react to a situation like this and then act in the manner they have. Its horrifying to see the lies coming out of this administration's underlings in charge of FEMA and Homeland Security, among others.

FEMA simply does not know what the hell it is doing (re: Chicago's mayor, among other big city mayors, astounded that FEMA has either yet to respond to their numerous responses of substantial assistance or failed to comprehend the enormity of the resources the cities were offering), which compounds the atrocious fact that the state and local folks did not know what the hell they were doing.

The military response has been flawed as well, ships should have been deployed BEFORE the storm hit, not a day or (three days in the case of the truman) after. National Guard troops should have been on the move before the storm hit, not afterwards. Supplies should have been requisitioned before, not after the storm. Nobody that wasn't insane or discredited said this storm was going to be anything short of a serious disaster.

Then even worse, the federal government was the one trimming the Army Corps of Engineers budget requests for levee upgrades and other flood control projects. Meanwhile, we can afford to bail out the airlines (who did not deserve a bailout) because they don't know how to run a profitable business, to the tune of 15 billion dollars (and then more later).

I'm sorry, but this is the turning point for me, I've grown disgusted with the party in power for the last year, and while still a fan of Pres. Bush and conservative ideals, can no longer praise the trolls who populate this administration and make terrible decisions that come back to not only haunt the president but all of us.

Then work at changing the Constitution. The fed cannot overrule the state government on this type of action. The governor must request the various types of help being offered by the Fed and other states. Seems so far they have accepted primarily from Texas-which has been doing a Herculian job of it.

Kathianne said:
Then work at changing the Constitution. The fed cannot overrule the state government on this type of action. The governor must request the various types of help being offered by the Fed and other states. Seems so far they have accepted primarily from Texas-which has been doing a Herculian job of it.

You're telling me Lousiana and New Orleans are to blame for FEMA not responding to offers of assistance or even properly considering them?

You're telling me Lousiana and New Orleans are in charge of military deployment plans? (i.e. we need their permission before we can stage troops in Texas/Georgia, to deploy ships out of Mayport, FL and Norfolk, VA?)

You're telling me Lousiana and New Orleans are to blame for the Army Corps Of Engineers levee projects/flood control projects being cut, canceled or deferred?

I really hope you understand how silly this "its all LO and NO's fault" line is. Its baseless, and when the price has been paid in the coming months by politicians and parties and the governments of all three, we'll see what happens when the American people lose faith in their leaders and institutions, which is exactly what's happening now.

I'm with Brooks, we're back to the 70's, only with a much more incompetent opposition party (that is actually dangerous if put into power) and a bunch of state, local and federal governments that have lost the faith of the people and increasingly, the trust.

NATO AIR said:
You're telling me Lousiana and New Orleans are to blame for FEMA not responding to offers of assistance or even properly considering them?

You're telling me Lousiana and New Orleans are in charge of military deployment plans? (i.e. we need their permission before we can stage troops in Texas/Georgia, to deploy ships out of Mayport, FL and Norfolk, VA?)
Yes. The fed cannot just send troops into a state to gain control of the citizenry. That's part of the 'balance of powers' in a federal system.
You're telling me Lousiana and New Orleans are to blame for the Army Corps Of Engineers levee projects/flood control projects being cut, canceled or deferred?
IF the $ bill had not been deferred, even if the 'work' had begun in January 2001, it would not have been completed, which is really besides the point. LA had over 30 years warning for the type of infrastructure preparations you are speaking to. They ignored it. If ever there was a case of 'The Little Red Hen' this is it.
I really hope you understand how silly this "its all LO and NO's fault" line is. Its baseless, and when the price has been paid in the coming months by politicians and parties and the governments of all three, we'll see what happens when the American people lose faith in their leaders and institutions, which is exactly what's happening now.
Sorry I don't think I sound silly, in fact I know that what I'm saying both about the situation in LA and how our system of government is organized are correct. I haven't the need to name call/use sarcasm in this discussion with you.
I'm with Brooks, we're back to the 70's, only with a much more incompetent opposition party (that is actually dangerous if put into power) and a bunch of state, local and federal governments that have lost the faith of the people and increasingly, the trust.

I've liked much of Brooks writings, however I've always wondered why he was where he is. Now I know. One smart guy for his POV.

Kathianne said:
Yes. The fed cannot just send troops into a state to gain control of the citizenry. That's part of the 'balance of powers' in a federal system. IF the $ bill had not been deferred, even if the 'work' had begun in January 2001, it would not have been completed, which is really besides the point. LA had over 30 years warning for the type of infrastructure preparations you are speaking to. They ignored it. If ever there was a case of 'The Little Red Hen' this is it. Sorry I don't think I sound silly, in fact I know that what I'm saying both about the situation in LA and how our system of government is organized are correct. I haven't the need to name call/use sarcasm in this discussion with you.

I've liked much of Brooks writings, however I've always wondered why he was where he is. Now I know. One smart guy for his POV.

When I call the POV you're taking silly, I'm not attacking your intelligence or your judgement. We all have off days :( Maybe I'm having one instead of you. but i have been watching in amazement and horror the past few days, reading military message traffic, reading the articles, reading e-mails from guys on leave in the area, and none of this paints a pretty picture of anyone in the chain of command, from Pres. Bush on down to the mayor of New orleans...

NATO AIR said:
When I call the POV you're taking silly, I'm not attacking your intelligence or your judgement. We all have off days :( Maybe I'm having one instead of you. but i have been watching in amazement and horror the past few days, reading military message traffic, reading the articles, reading e-mails from guys on leave in the area, and none of this paints a pretty picture of anyone in the chain of command, from Pres. Bush on down to the mayor of New orleans...

Hmm, I'll let it go. I don't think I'm having an 'off day.' :teeth: I think you are having a case of super empathy, which you are wont to do. Which is not a bad thing, but it hurts you personally. I get that, I too feel for those people, this should not have happened to the degree it has. There should have been food and water. There should have been buses to have gotten people out before the storm hit, but if not-since NO dropped that ball, when they told people to go to the 'places of last resort', they should have stocked them, from state warehouses, which seemed to have existed only on paper. That is a crime, but not the feds fault.

Forum List

Back