David Broder To Reid - "Shut Up"

he isn't one of our own. Like I said... ask the supporters of Ed Muskie how liberal Broder is.

Broder is a centrist by any measure, except those made by morons like yourself.

he isn't one of our own. Like I said... ask the supporters of Ed Muskie how liberal Broder is.

Broder is a centrist by any measure, except those made by morons like yourself.

Libs say the same thing about the Clintons - how they are centrists

Much like libs call tax increases - new sources of revenues

Code words to hide what they really are or what they mean

Broder IS a centrist. you don't know what you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_S._Broder

Broder's noted bias beyond his upholding of journalistic norms is a deferential orientation toward officials in both parties and the elite "Washington Establishment." [6] Like many members of that establishment, Broder's writings routinely suggest that he equates journalistic balance with ideological centrism rather than with the reporting of objective truth. Broder is widely seen as something of a bellwether of the moderate "conventional wisdom."

Liberal bloggers have been particularly outspoken in critiquing Broder. Huffington Post contributor Oliver Willis recently called Broder "the most insider of Washington insiders" [7] and Paul Begala recently referred to Broder as, simply, "a gasbag". [8]

Libs say the same thing about the Clintons - how they are centrists

Much like libs call tax increases - new sources of revenues

Code words to hide what they really are or what they mean

Nobody ever claimed the Clintons were centrists.

Bill Clinton shifted to a moderate position when he ran for President and for the most part he was a moderate liberal President.

Hillary has tried to do the same, but she just can't help but blurt out some extremist BS every so often just to remind people where she REALLY comes from.

Nobody ever claimed the Clintons were centrists.

Bill Clinton shifted to a moderate position when he ran for President and for the most part he was a moderate liberal President.

Hillary has tried to do the same, but she just can't help but blurt out some extremist BS every so often just to remind people where she REALLY comes from.

I respectfully disagree. Many talking heads have called both of them "centrists". They still refer to Hillary as such

The last things liberals want to be called are liberals

Liberals do hate to be called what they are - liberals

True. There are ways to detect the liberal, many ways really:

"I'm liberal on some issues, quite conservative on others."

"I don't like labels. They're judgemental."

"We are all in this big mess together, and my solutions are better."

One thing you can not and will not do is to deviate from the party line. Doing so is NOT being a "free-thinker", even Broder can tell you that much:

Broder Tells 'E&P' That He Stands by His Blast at Harry Reid

By Dave Astor

Published: April 30, 2007 12:30 PM ET

NEW YORK David Broder said he wouldn't change anything in his April 26 column, which angered many readers and caused 50 members of the Senate Democratic Caucus to write a letter criticizing Broder in Friday's Washington Post.

In that Thursday piece, Broder criticized Harry Reid for saying the Iraq War is lost militarily, compared Reid to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, and concluded: "The Democrats deserve better, and the country needs more, than Harry Reid has offered as Senate majority leader."

"I still think the Democrats can do better, and should do better," said Broder, when reached today by E&P.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003578260

Is it just me, or does that last Broder quote there indicate...bias?????

So fifty members of Congress fire off a letter to some WaPo op/ed writer? Must be serving the country again. Rein in that wildcat:

Must not...deviate from...party line...

A Hissy Fit Over David Broder Column
By Kathleen Parker

Veteran political columnist David Broder set off a firestorm recently when he called Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid an "embarrassment'' for declaring the Iraq War "lost.''

From the assault subsequently directed at Broder -- from other journalists, political operatives, left-wing bloggers and even the entire 50-member Senate Democratic Caucus -- you'd have thought Broder had had an intimate encounter with an intern.

Or, in the spirit of bipartisanship, had broken into Democratic National Committee headquarters.

Nevertheless, the 50 Democratic senators felt compelled to respond. Doesn't the U.S. Senate have more important matters to attend to than David Broder?

In a letter to The Washington Post that had the unmistakable whiff of a powder room manifesto, otherwise known as a hissy fit -- as opposed to a "bed-wetting tantrum,'' as Paul Begala described Broder's column -- the senators asserted that their leader is a "good listener,'' who has an "amazing ability to synthesize views and bring people together,'' and who also demonstrates a "mastery of procedure.''

It is perhaps admirable, and certainly reassuring to Reid, that his fellow senators came to his defense. But this kind of overreaction to a columnist is rare, if not unprecedented, and betrays a disturbing hostility to legitimate criticism.

Though Broder is a great political writer, he is not the president of the United States. He doesn't command an army or meet routinely with heads of state to negotiate planetary alignment or even global heating and cooling. He's a commentator.

And what, exactly, is a commentator supposed to do if not comment? When he or she makes a point -- from the perspective of an observer with more than 50 years' experience in Broder's case -- does disagreement necessitate a movement?

Outrage has become such a predictable response to any difference of opinion that it's lost its heat. When everything is outrageous, nothing is.

In fact, what Broder said was not remotely outrageous. It's hardly crazy to think it inappropriate when the leader of the most powerful governing body in the world declares in the midst of a war that the war is lost.

Broder's point, provocative but hardly incendiary, was that American lives are on the line and that Reid's remark didn't help matters. Rather than provide encouragement to our enemies, Broder suggested that the Senate leader might do better to heed the recommendations of the Iraq Study Group report and seek common ground toward both military and political solutions.

Broder needs no one to defend him. His record, which includes at least equal numbers of columns criticizing Republicans as Democrats, speaks for itself. But the Reid-Broder dust-up reveals the degraded state of public debate today. People don't disagree; they brawl. Punditry has become a free-for-all -- and mutual respect is locked in the attic with Aunt Sadie.

Part of this devolution in discourse has been brought about, no doubt, by the volcanic explosion of the blogosphere, which has democratized free speech in a way that is not always positive or pretty. Everybody can type, but not everyone can write. Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone comes equipped with the same skills and experience.

The disinhibiting effect of anonymity, meanwhile, has unleashed something dark in the human spirit that seems to have infected the broader culture. It isn't enough to say that Broder is all wet; instead he's "foaming at the mouth,'' a "gasbag" and a "venomous'' bloviator throwing a "bed-wetting tantrum,'' borrowing again from Begala.

Begala, who came to punditry via the Clinton White House, isn't anonymous, of course. But many other lesser-knowns have taken Broder to task in what has become the typical blog-inspired pile-on.

One wonders where these same thin-skins were when Broder was leveling his sights at the Bush administration. Was Broder a gasbag when previously he lambasted the Bush budget deficit, the tax cuts for the rich and the mess in Iraq?

A fair treatment of Broder's recent column would consider the broader context of his body of work, but fairness is missing from this debate. Also is respect for those, like the Pulitzer Prize-winning Broder, who have toiled long in the fields to earn the kind of forum others merely feel entitled to.

The absence of fairness and respectful dissension -- and the decline of civility wrought by our nation's unhinged narcissism -- now there's something worthy of outrage.

[email protected]
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/05/banal_outrage.html

from your link:

"Broder needs no one to defend him. His record, which includes at least equal numbers of columns criticizing Republicans as Democrats, speaks for itself. "

"very liberal"?

:rofl:

from your link:

"Broder needs no one to defend him. His record, which includes at least equal numbers of columns criticizing Republicans as Democrats, speaks for itself. "

"very liberal"?

:rofl:

I have seen Broder on Meet the Depressed many times and he is a lib

It is so funny to see the Dems reacting to his comments. As if the Senate does not have more important things to do - like try to come up with something to replace their surrender bill

it's funny to see you post links that disprove your own assertions and then run away from them as well.

Here's a similar one of mine:

I have seen Red States Rule on USMB many times and he is a moron.

it's funny to see you post links that disprove your own assertions and then run away from them as well.

Here's a similar one of mine:

I have seen Red States Rule on USMB many times and he is a moron.

Libs will attack there own when they stray form the talking points MM

Forum List

Back