David Barish, a Developer of the Paraglider, Dead at 88

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
Loping down a slope near a mountaintop or leaping from a cliff, they capture the wind in the nylon canopy they carried in their knapsacks, then rise in a thermal to thousands of feet to float and swoop for mile after mile.

For decades, thousands of enthusiasts like these have scaled peaks around the world or climbed hills above rolling meadows to experience the thrills and joys of paragliding. They owe that experience in large part to David Barish.

Mr. Barish, who was once referred to as the forgotten father of paragliding, invented a single-surface airfoil that, along with a similar version by another designer, evolved into the paraglider of today. He died on Dec. 15 at the age of 88 in Manhattan, where he lived. His son Craig said the cause was multiple myeloma.

articleInline.jpg

David Barish landing on Hunter Mountain, N.Y., in 1965

David Barish, 88, a Developer of the Paraglider - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com

88 is a good long time to live. I will envy him as I gasp for my last few gulps of air cause I know I'll never see 88. I envy him also because I would never be brave enough to jump off of anything higher than a step ladder and wonder if it will really work...

my wife's great uncle was domina jalbert, who also worked on paragliders.
we have a couple of his kites.
i found the history of the sport pretty interesting.

88's a good ride. RIP

Was flying at Ellings Park the last few days.

Paragliding is a hoot and a half. :)

Anybody with the balls it takes to jump off a mountain cliff with all that shit tied to their back and hope it works, gets a standing "O" from me. You da man.

:udaman:

i promised my wife i wouldn't do stuff like that after she let me bungee jump off a hot air balloon.

I bet she was pissed when she realized that your life insurance policy wouldnt pay if you died doing those risky maneuvers

i promised my wife i wouldn't do stuff like that after she let me bungee jump off a hot air balloon.

I bet she was pissed when she realized that your life insurance policy wouldnt pay if you died doing those risky maneuvers

it was before kids; i didn't have any life insurance.

:eusa_shhh:

BUNGEE JUMP OFF A HOT AIR BALLOON????????? Are you out of your mind? All I can say about that is it would have taken the entire staff to throw me out of that balloon basket.

BUNGEE JUMP OFF A HOT AIR BALLOON????????? Are you out of your mind? All I can say about that is it would have taken the entire staff to throw me out of that balloon basket.

it seemed like a good idea at the time.

i've got a picture of me going over the side. it should be in the dictionary next to fear. :lol:

I took up paragliding after discovering that skydiving wasn't exactly what I was looking for, after three drops.

There's no jumping to it. You have your canopy fully inflated and flying before the hill falls away from you...It's really very benign, once you get past being hundreds of feet of the ground without being inside an aircraft cabin.

Forum List

Back