Dave Barry on Getting a Colonoscopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
If you haven’t had one yet, you’ll find this a humorous reminder of what’s ahead. If you’ve had one, this is a hilarious reminder.

OK. You turned 50. You know you’re supposed to get a colonoscopy. But you haven’t. Here are your reasons:

1. You’ve been busy.

2. You don’t have a history of cancer in your family.

3. You haven’t noticed any problems.

4. You don’t want a doctor to stick a tube 17,000 feet up your butt.

Let’s examine these reasons one at a time. No, wait, let’s not. Because you and I both know that the only real reason is No. 4. This is natural. The idea of having another human, even a medical human, becoming deeply involved in what is technically known as your ‘‘behindular zone’‘ gives you the creeping willies.

I know this because I am like you, except worse. I yield to nobody in the field of being a pathetic weenie medical coward. I become faint and nauseous during even very minor medical procedures, such as making an appointment by phone. It’s much worse when I come into physical contact with the medical profession. More than one doctor’s office has a dent in the floor caused by my forehead striking it seconds after I got a shot.

In 1997, when I turned 50, everybody told me I should get a colonoscopy. I agreed that I definitely should, but not right away. By following this policy, I reached age 55 without having had a colonoscopy. Then I did something so pathetic and embarrassing that I am frankly ashamed to tell you about it.

Be sure to stress that you want the non-Abba version.

https://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html#storylink=cpy

"Opening Posts require more than a Copy and Paste with a Link, You need to include relevant, on topic material of your own."

"Only paste a small to medium section of the material."

Closed

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah don't do this. If you can at all talk you doctor into letting you get the poop-in-a-box test, do that. I have one of those conditions where they won't let me test that way and they're always wanting to see what's going on in my intestines.

This test is barbaric. GI drs have problems. I don't know what their problems are, but they are OBSESSED with bowel preps, how "clean" the preps get you and etc. The entire prep is barbaric and so I have told them this, all of them. "Seriously in the 21st century, in the age of technology, the best you can come up with is Roto Rooter?"

They just look at me blankly.

Avoid at all costs.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back