dating the military

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
I am on vacation to my family. I found out my 19 yrd niece is dating a G.I.. I reference his Army unit. A high speed/low drag unit and he is from a military family. I am not crazy about the idea of her dating someone who does some serious shit, he was in Afghanistan two months out of training. I know it's probably not going to be 'the one' but I won't if I should say my mind or just let it slide.

I am on vacation to my family. I found out my 19 yrd niece is dating a G.I.. I reference his Army unit. A high speed/low drag unit and he is from a military family. I am not crazy about the idea of her dating someone who does some serious shit, he was in Afghanistan two months out of training. I know it's probably not going to be 'the one' but I won't if I should say my mind or just let it slide.

As long as he doesn't call himself 'warrior102' he's probably cool. Carry on. :salute:

As long as he doesn't call himself 'warrior102' he's probably cool. Carry on. :salute:

You a vet?

You a vet?

Not that it matters I guess. I guess it would be same thing if it was a motocross or rock star.

None of your business, unless you have some (real) reason to think she's in danger.

Two points.

1. This is your niece, not your daughter. so it is none of your business.
  2. If this was your daughter it would still be none of your business.

So far we have 2 for 'none of your business' and one for no warrior102. Sorry that man is taken.

It is my business in that if my niece mentions that she is dating someone and he is station somewhere else. So I ask a couple of questions like who the unit is. It's 2nd brigade.

One reason American citizens have enjoyed unprecedented security for nearly 250 years is because guys like him are willing to do "some serious shit". While I may disagree with choices our political leaders make regarding military intervention, I think you should thank him for wearing the uniform, and support your niece.

One reason American citizens have enjoyed unprecedented security for nearly 250 years is because guys like him are willing to do "some serious shit". While I may disagree with choices our political leaders make regarding military intervention, I think you should thank him for wearing the uniform, and support your niece.

Of the comments so far I see a lot of merit in this approach. I am not sure if his unit moves. He's not in that kind of unit.

I am retired military, and that you even ask if it is a good idea for your niece to date a military man, as if he were on the same level as an ex-con or something, is incredibly insulting.

Last edited:
I am retired military, and that you even ask if it is a good idea for your niece to date a military man, as if he were on the same level as an ex-con or something, is incredibly insulting.

What's the first significant question that you would ask someone who was dating you niece? Maybe, "So what do you do?" I could be talking about accountants, but I am not.

Granny says when in her salad days...

... she used to date the military...

... Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines...

... she didn't discriminate...

... she used to shag `em all.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back