Dateline NBC: Katrina five years later

Anyone else watch this? Thoughts?

Yes, I just got done watching it a bit ago. I cried at some parts, how heart breaking it was!
It was like a war zone, right here in America. So tragic, I had to turn my head when they showed all the dead bodies in the streets, and the suffering, and the people begging for food and water..................

Only 5 years ago too. :(

Yes, I just got done watching it a bit ago. I cried at some parts, how heart breaking it was!
It was like a war zone, right here in America. So tragic, I had to turn my head when they showed all the dead bodies in the streets, and the suffering, and the people begging for food and water..................

I know...it was terrible...I knew it was bad, but when you see it like that...the expressions of despair...

I had to get up more than once and walk off my frustration.

By far, I found last night's program the best I had ever seen on Katrina. I was moved to tears as was my partner. I happened to have been a tourist trapped in the Superdome during Katrina and William's portrayal of the conditions was right on. Anyone not moved by this broadcast is seriously lacking some compassion.

Paul Harris
Author, Diary From the Dome, Reflections on Fear and Privilege During Katrina

P.S. And for those who still are perpetuating some myths, about 85-90% of NOLA residents evacuated which is higher than most evacuations. Also most don't realize that the Airport, Amtrak, and Greyhound were all shut down a day before the mandatory evacuation. Some of us couldn't get out.

I know...it was terrible...I knew it was bad, but when you see it like that...the expressions of despair...

I had to get up more than once and walk off my frustration.
Why? You missed it the first time around?

During the catastrophe itself and soon after most footage of what happened was aired.

partisan nitwits made discussing the issue poisonous. that is what was saddest to me. shit happens. but when people cover up the shit that happens the cover up is worse than the crime itself.

By far, I found last night's program the best I had ever seen on Katrina. I was moved to tears as was my partner. I happened to have been a tourist trapped in the Superdome during Katrina and William's portrayal of the conditions was right on. Anyone not moved by this broadcast is seriously lacking some compassion.

Paul Harris
Author, Diary From the Dome, Reflections on Fear and Privilege During Katrina

P.S. And for those who still are perpetuating some myths, about 85-90% of NOLA residents evacuated which is higher than most evacuations. Also most don't realize that the Airport, Amtrak, and Greyhound were all shut down a day before the mandatory evacuation. Some of us couldn't get out.

:evil:

watch or don't watch, but to watch and not want to do better is the definition of partisan nitwitt.

Let's cut the bombing of innocent people around the world butdget by 80% and do a better fucking job with our own civilians. This is what happens when war mongerers get cut lose to spend like there is and end of the world threat.

watch or don't watch, but to watch and not want to do better is the definition of partisan nitwitt.

Let's cut the bombing of innocent people around the world butdget by 80% and do a better fucking job with our own civilians. This is what happens when war mongerers get cut lose to spend like there is and end of the world threat.

have you written your present war mongerer?

Don't do NBC, thanks.

I would rather do my dishes, and clean my bathroom.

I'm with you ordinarily...I initially watched only to see how much political hackery Brian Williams could fit into one program...

But this Anniversary Special was actually very well done...it did assigned blame to all levels of government, local, state and national...but it mostly focused on the the people of New Orleans.

Did you see where they are going to build 50 houses in 50 days or something? The people who are from New Orleans deserve most of the credit for re building that city. I didn't watch the special, I had to work, but I have seen others. They are usually pretty hard to watch.

I agree with you in a backhanded way.

I agree that the message I took from the program was "We must do better."

I disagree that the problem was financial...the problem way piss poor planning from bottom to top.

And I'm not just talking about the government

Individuals need to be prepared.

Civilian organization need a response plan that goes into effect with OR WITHOUT a government response...in other words, they need to be prepared to go it alone.

Local and state governments need to practice their emergency response plans to find the weaknesses and remedy those weaknesses BEFORE an actual emergency occurs. They need contingency plans and contingency plans for the contingency plans.

The federal government has to be capable of responding in 48 hours at 100% anywhere in the lower 48...no excuses.

Did they do an update on whatever happened to "Looter Guy"?

1_23_083105_looters2.jpg

Forum List

Back