Data for Sangha. Everyone please contribute

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Bern80, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    If anyone has been following another thread in here you know Sangha is rather obsessed with how much americans spend as a percentage of income on health care. I did some research but couldn't find much for numbers for the entire population. So in an attempt to get some kinds of idea I am asking everyone on the board to post here and tell us what you spent, as a percentage of your income on health care in 2010. I'll start.

To keep things uniform we want the percent of GROSS income. For expenditures we want everything. Premiums, co-pays, out-of-pcoket, etc. I'll start.

15%

2. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    10%

3. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    According to th New york times you are just about right

In 2007, the last year for which fairly precise estimates in American health spending are available, we spent $2.24 trillion on health care in this country. It amounted to 16.2 percent of our 2007 gross domestic product of $13.8 trillion and to $7,421 per person living within our borders.
    Because our national health spending has grown by about 6 percent annually in recent years, per capita health spending this year probably will be as much as $8,300. Furthermore, because G.D.P. has declined in the past year, we will most likely be devoting 18 percent of that smaller G.D.P. on health care this year.

Reader Response: How Much Do We Spend on Health Care? - NYTimes.com

4. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Is percent of GDP basically the same thing as percent of income? Because it seems to get thrown around a lot as the same thing

5. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    15%. But only because I have a second job. If it was just one job, it would be 21%.

6. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    It is 450 a month now, but my income is zero.

When I had a job, it was 150 per month out of 2100, so a little over 7% when I was working.

I had very little out of pocket. I don't smoke, I used to exercise a lot. My kids are very healthy too. It just amounted to catastrophic insurance plus a bit of prophy care

7. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    40%

I have a large family

8. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Depends what you're talking about. Your OP sounds like you're talking about the percentage of your disposal income you put towards anything health care-related. So that won't count other sources of spending that show up in that national expenditures data bigrebnc refenenced, like the taxes that pay for Medicare and Medicaid or premium contributions made on your behalf by an employer, etc.

If you want to know what fraction of the average person's personal spending goes toward health care, that data exists (obviously it can vary quite a bit for different people). That table breaks it down by age, income quartile, geography, and so on but the short answer is that in 2007 the average person/family ("consumer unit") was devoting 5.7% of its personal expenditures to health care-related things. Visual Economics even has a handy graphic that helps put that in the context of other things the average consumer is buying. Personally, I spend less than that average percentage of my income on health care.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    No I don't think so.

10. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Thanks Greenbeard. That is what I was looking for. This basically came up in the context of a debate about the benefits of socialized medicine and comparing percent of income spent on health care to other nations (specifically France).