Dastardly Donald proposes $500 million cut to NASA

Well, to be truthful, since Virgin and Space X have come along, we can scale back on some of the NASA stuff, since private companies are now poised to take over launching manned space flights.

Actually, NASA still does a lot of stuff, but one of their biggest expenses was building and launching rockets. And, since companies like Space X and Virgin Galactic have managed to be successful with their tests, civilian companies can do the heavy lifting of launching rockets.

Best part though, is that Space X has figured out how to make the rockets reuseable for multiple launches. NASA never had that.

Well, to be truthful, since Virgin and Space X have come along, we can scale back on some of the NASA stuff, since private companies are now poised to take over launching manned space flights.

Space exploration isn't going to be profitable at first, but I think it's still worth doing. Being unprofitable makes it a no-go in the private sector. The government is necessary here.

Actually, NASA still does a lot of stuff, but one of their biggest expenses was building and launching rockets. And, since companies like Space X and Virgin Galactic have managed to be successful with their tests, civilian companies can do the heavy lifting of launching rockets.

Best part though, is that Space X has figured out how to make the rockets reuseable for multiple launches. NASA never had that.

The only thing I hate is the 4.9 billion in federal funding.
But after making parts for the shuttle program thats probably way less than NASA spent.

Space exploration isn't going to be profitable at first, but I think it's still worth doing. Being unprofitable makes it a no-go in the private sector. The government is necessary here.

The unprofitable stuff was done by NASA when they started off with the various manned programs to put people in orbit, then they did the unprofitable stuff of putting a man on the moon, getting to Mars, and launching a whole bunch of satellites.

Now? Apparently, it is something that private business now thinks is possible to be profitable. All the ground work for the basic systems needed for space has already been done. Now? All they need to do is refine it a bit, and then start commercial launches.

The test they did last week in launching the Dragon module with a dummy astronaut so they could see the effects of launch and recovery has so far been a rousing success. If it comes back to Earth in one piece, the next time they launch a Dragon module, it's going to be manned and head for the ISS.

The only thing I hate is the 4.9 billion in federal funding.
But after making parts for the shuttle program thats probably way less than NASA spent.

Total cost of the shuttle program was around 196 billion, and every time the shuttle launched, it was 450 million dollars per launch.

Space Shuttle program - Wikipedia

i find it odder that women vote for men who treat women poorly but hey if the pussy grabber fits....go for it
Good Christ, do any of you ever take a fucking break from your fucking hypocrisy?

Holy shit I fucking hate all of you.

I have no problem with that.
NASA doesnt do anything anymore.

^^^^^This. All they do is Muslim outreach, and blame Man for climate change. When did they launch a manned spacecraft last? They are a joke and should be abolished.

The unprofitable stuff was done by NASA when they started off with the various manned programs to put people in orbit, then they did the unprofitable stuff of putting a man on the moon, getting to Mars, and launching a whole bunch of satellites.

Now? Apparently, it is something that private business now thinks is possible to be profitable. All the ground work for the basic systems needed for space has already been done. Now? All they need to do is refine it a bit, and then start commercial launches.

The test they did last week in launching the Dragon module with a dummy astronaut so they could see the effects of launch and recovery has so far been a rousing success. If it comes back to Earth in one piece, the next time they launch a Dragon module, it's going to be manned and head for the ISS.

I'd really like to know how the deal with Spacex and our gov works.
They get 4.9 billion in funding,so does the gov get to launch their satellites for free?

Now? Apparently, it is something that private business now thinks is possible to be profitable.

Certain aspects of it yes, thanks in large part to the efforts of NASA, but not all of it. NASA is still important. There won't be any profit in building a bunch of probes to scout for alien life for example. There are a whole bunch of worthwhile endeavors that won't be profitable.

I'd really like to know how the deal with Spacex and our gov works.
They get 4.9 billion in funding,so does the gov get to launch their satellites for free?

Dunno how much the government is paying, but here is what SpaceX costs per launch..................

Is SpaceX Changing the Rocket Equation? | Space | Air & Space Magazine

All very impressive. But what really sets SpaceX apart, and has made it a magnet for controversy, are its prices: As advertised on the company’s Web site, a Falcon 9 launch costs an average of $57 million, which works out to less than $2,500 per pound to orbit. That’s significantly less than what other U.S. launch companies typically charge, and even the manufacturer of China’s low-cost Long March rocket (which the U.S. has banned importing) says it cannot beat SpaceX’s pricing. By 2014, the company’s next rocket, the Falcon Heavy, aims to lower the cost to $1,000 per pound. And Musk insists that’s just the beginning. “Our performance will increase and our prices will decline over time,” he writes on SpaceX’s Web site, “as is the case with every other technology.” Like the Chinese, many observers in this country are wondering how SpaceX can deliver what it promises.

Now? Apparently, it is something that private business now thinks is possible to be profitable.

Certain aspects of it yes, thanks in large part to the efforts of NASA, but not all of it. NASA is still important. There won't be any profit in building a bunch of probes to scout for alien life for example. There are a whole bunch of worthwhile endeavors that won't be profitable.

Personal opinion? I think that NASA will still do the designing and building of probes to other planets, but putting them into orbit or into space will be done by commercial companies.

And, ya gotta admit, the rocket launch is probably half to three quarters of the cost.

i find it odder that women vote for men who treat women poorly but hey if the pussy grabber fits....go for it
Good Christ, do any of you ever take a fucking break from your fucking hypocrisy?

Holy shit I fucking hate all of you.

I have no problem with that.
NASA doesnt do anything anymore.

^^^^^This. All they do is Muslim outreach, and blame Man for climate change. When did they launch a manned spacecraft last? They are a joke and should be abolished.

Where they are today pales in comparison as to where they were during the Shuttle Program.
It was very cool being a part of those days though.
The prices on the parts I made were insane!!! They didnt care how long it took but they had to be perfect.
I've seen parts rejected for a bevel that had no other function than to slide an o-ring on get rejected because they were off by .002

I'll never forget hearing the sound of someone hurling in the aisle of the shop I worked at.
Turned out he scrapped a six by ten section of sub flooring made from a six by ten by four inch thick piece of billet aluminum that he'd been working on for over three months.
He was damn near done with it and proceeded to put the drilled and tapped holes for the decking in the wrong place.

Yeah......they fired him.

basquebromance

By the way did you read the article or just the misleading headline?

NASA is still getting a bigger budget than it has had in previous years. It's just not as much as he previously agreed to increase it.

Budget of NASA - Wikipedia

I am disappointed by that, but the headline is super misleading.

And, ya gotta admit, the rocket launch is probably half to three quarters of the cost.

Developing state of the art technology for space exploration is expensive too. I think NASA is incredibly important.

Well, I think the biggest innovation in space launches has come from Space X. Traditional one use rockets launching stuff into orbit would cost around 10,000 per lb. Musk and his company have it down to 1/4 of that...........2,500/lb. But, the main reason for that is his booster rockets are multiple use and can land themselves safely. All that the second and subsequent launches will require is replacement of parts that need replaced and fuel.

basquebromance

By the way did you read the article or just the misleading headline?

NASA is still getting a bigger budget than it has had in previous years. It's just not as much as he previously agreed to increase it.

Budget of NASA - Wikipedia

I am disappointed by that, but the headline is super misleading.
i'm a human being. i make mistakes.

I'M HUMAAAAAAAN!

All we need to do is fire all those idiots working at NASA that were involved in Obama's AGW scam that fabricated data and we can save a ton of money without cutting back on space exploration.

Forum List

Back