Daschle cries foul over opponent's ad campaign...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by insein, Apr 22, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2004/04/22/election/us_senate/991senate.txt

Seems Daschle has pulled the race card early. I see nothing in the article that mentions how the ads are racist towards ILLEGAL aliens.

2. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Ah, but the race card is so handy! In another thread, someone was talking about those horrible Willy Horton ads (Bush, the elder vs. Dukakis), and how they appealed to the latent racism in all of us. Horseshit! All Bush did was tell the truth.

3. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Incidentally, Insein, I thought you hit the nail right on the head when you pointed out one of the invaluable services a message board like this provides. It gives young people access to well thought out viewpoints they wouldn't otherwise hear-certainly not from their ivory tower-dwelling college puke professors.

Although I'm twice your age, I, too, consider myself a work in progress. The day I stop learning, they might as well just stand me up in the garbage with my hat on.

A little off topic. Sorry. Just thought I'd throw that in.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    You rock musicman. Thanks for fighting the good fight!

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Oh, and Daschle is SUCH a pusscake.

6. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I agree. To say i know all is an arrogant, misinformed statement. There is a vast wealth of knowledge out there that i havent even begun to comprehend. To beat on only one-side of an issue and to only rehash things others have said is not thinking for yourself and forming your own opinions.

7. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    He's a whining wussy!

Thanks for the kind words. :)

8. Reilly

Reilly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I raised the Willie Horton ads to your complaints that the Democrats care only about creating negative and demeaning impressions of Republican candidates. Your raised the slogan "It's the economy, Stupid" as an example, apparently taking issue with the characterization of Pres. Bush Sr. as stupid. I pointed out, and do so again, that Republicans do the same thing, and did so with the Willie Horton ads. Yes, they were factual - as is the slogan pointing out that the major concern of voters in 1992 was the economy. However, the problem that we both have (mine with both ads and yours just with the Clinton ad) is that they were examples of negative advertisement.

The Willie Horton issue (really the issue of prisoner furlough programs) had been raised before the general election by Al Gore, in the primary contest. The difference was that Al Gore raised the issue without the race card. There were quite a few prison furlough recipients and the majority of them were white. Gore cited what he thought was a problem with the program. Fine.

The Willie Horton ads went much further than that in what was obvious race baiting. The juxtaposition of Willie Horton's thuggish mug shot with Dukakis was an obvious attempt to play up to racial prejudices of white Americans. As the ads creators said (Bush always disavowed any connection to the ads) "When we're through, people are going to think that Willie Horton is Michael Dukakis' nephew," said political consultant Floyd Brown of Americans for Bush. [Time, 8/22/88; Washington Post, 9/4/88]. '[T]he only question is whether we depict Willie Horton with a knife in his hand or without it.'" Roger Ailes.

I am not saying that the ad stated anything false, but it was as much a negative ad as "It's the economy, Stupid."

9. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Precisely.

10. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Actually Reilly, you're mistaken. You were arguing the negative ads thing with somebody else. I just sort of jumped in at the end. But, as you say, the Willy Horton ads were factual. That's precisely my point.

Had Willy's little "furlough fling" even taken place at the time of the primaries? Not that it matters. Dukakis' program showed him to be dangerously naive and completely unfit to handle matters of public safety. For the life of me, I can't see how reporting the plain truth about his failings constitutes "obvious race baiting." Should Bush have pulled the ad because Horton was black?
    Wait for a white prisoner to go on a rampage? Prettied up Horton's mug shot? Perhaps those who saw "race baiting" in what was nothing more than a faithful recounting of the facts were the ones playing the race card.