Daryl Hannah arrested for protesting on land stolen under eminent domain

The government should have no right at all to steal your own property from you. Whether they offer compensation or not, if the owner refuses, take your business elsewhere.

How would highways, roads, bridges, and rail lines be constructed?

How would pipe and power lines be constructed to bring energy to urban and population areas?

Sewage and drainage systems would be constructed how?

The doctrine of eminent domain (resumption/compulsory acquisition in Australia) isn’t about the ‘bad’ government taking a small portion of a pasture, it’s at the heard of the creation of modern industrialized societies.

The basic comforts and amenities you enjoy wouldn’t be possible without the doctrine of eminent domain.

The government should have no right at all to steal your own property from you. Whether they offer compensation or not, if the owner refuses, take your business elsewhere.

How would pipe and power lines be constructed to bring energy to urban and population areas?

The doctrine of eminent domain (resumption/compulsory acquisition in Australia) isn’t about the ‘bad’ government taking a small portion of a pasture, it’s at the heard of the creation of modern industrialized societies.

The basic comforts and amenities you enjoy wouldn’t be possible without the doctrine of eminent domain.

I agree. The problem comes when government uses the process for the good of private interests, rather than public. In those instances I agree with the previous post.

I get that, but at the same time, if I buy some land, it belongs to me, because I paid for it. No one has the right to come along and take it. I consider that stealing.

Some people have been living in the same house for 50 years and it has sentimental value to them, yet the government try to boot them out to build a new road. Its cruel.

I get that, but at the same time, if I buy some land, it belongs to me, because I paid for it. No one has the right to come along and take it. I consider that stealing.

Some people have been living in the same house for 50 years and it has sentimental value to them, yet the government try to boot them out to build a new road. Its cruel.

Unfortunately, life is often cruel. It's the price we pay for the society we have. That's why some live deep in the woods, so that kind of stuff has less chance of happening. You don't get modern amenities without some sacrifices.

Forum List

Back