Darwin on trial: Evolution hearings open in Kansas

If creation science is allowed to be taught in Kansas, Why shouldn't they be teaching the story of the Cosmic Egg? How about Ymir? Gaia and Uranus? Satan created God (yes there are creation stories like this)? The cosmic wheel? What "scientific" evidence backs your creation story and not these?

deaddude said:
If creation science is allowed to be taught in Kansas, Why shouldn't they be teaching the story of the Cosmic Egg? How about Ymir? Gaia and Uranus? Satan created God (yes there are creation stories like this)? The cosmic wheel? What "scientific" evidence backs your creation story and not these?

Do the research yourself. If you must, please attack Christianity in another thread. This thread is about "Creation" and "Evolution". It's just the case that most people who believe in Creation Science happen to be Christian.

-=d=- said:
Do the research yourself. If you must, please attack Christianity in another thread. This thread is about "Creation" and "Evolution". It's just the case that most people who believe in Creation Science happen to be Christian.

I was not attackin christianity. If, as you say, most creationists are christian, and if by creationism you are refering to Genisis being taught in schools as having as much scientific backing as evolution then my question is totaly legitamate. If there is no scientific evidence suggesting that Genisis is any more likely than Ymir than teaching Genisis without teaching Ymir is merely sneaking chritianity into Public schools. So again my question, Is there any more scientific evidence for Genisis then there is for Ymir.

deaddude said:
I was not attackin christianity. If, as you say, most creationists are christian, and if by creationism you are refering to Genisis being taught in schools as having as much scientific backing as evolution then my question is totaly legitamate. If there is no scientific evidence suggesting that Genisis is any more likely than Ymir than teaching Genisis without teaching Ymir is merely sneaking chritianity into Public schools. So again my question, Is there any more scientific evidence for Genisis then there is for Ymir.

No - re-read what the Creationists are asking for, then come back ;)

deaddude said:

Yes there is.
In the case of Ymir, I have read of nothing that does or could check out.

They used the flesh to fill the Ginnungagap; his blood to create the lakes and the seas; from his unbroken bones they made the mountains; the giant's teeth and the fragments of his shattered bones became rocks and boulders and stones; trees were made from his hair, and the clouds from his brains. Odin and his brothers raised Ymir's skull and made the sky from it and beneath its four corners they placed a dwarf. Finally, from Ymir's eyebrow they shaped Midgard, the realm of man. The maggots which swarmed in Ymir's flesh they gave wits and the shape of men, but they live under the hills and mountains. They are called dwarfs.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/y/ymir.html

Lakes are not made of blood, mountains are not made of bone, nor trees of hair. Clouds are made of water vapor, not brains. These are a few of the things in this story which do not "check out."

God said "let there be light," and there was light..."Let the waters beneath the sky be gathered into one place so dry ground may appear." And so it was... God made all sorts of wild animals, livestock, and small animals, each able to repeoduce more of its own kind. (Genesis 1)

Nothing too outlandish in that, is there? Other stories, such as Adam and Eve in the Garden or Cain and Abel have no place in a science class, but the order of creation, biological reproduction, evidence of global flooding and mass extinction are all things the Bible describes that have every right to be discussed as possible scenarios in a classroom. There is physical, scientific evidence to back it up.

mom4 said:
Nothing too outlandish in that, is there? Other stories, such as Adam and Eve in the Garden or Cain and Abel have no place in a science class, but the order of creation, biological reproduction, evidence of global flooding and mass extinction are all things the Bible describes that have every right to be discussed as possible scenarios in a classroom. There is physical, scientific evidence to back it up.

So are you saying that the bible is a reliable source for scientific information as long as the passages cited are those that are feasible?

MissileMan said:
So are you saying that the bible is a reliable source for scientific information as long as the passages cited are those that are feasible?

The Bible is a reliable source for scientific and historical information. The passages not cited are ones that do not contain scientific information.

mom4 said:
The Bible is a reliable source for scientific and historical information. The passages not cited are ones that do not contain scientific information.

If you truly believe that, then why wouldn't Adam and Eve be suitable for science class?

With your argument I can argue that Ymir was a giant, that blood is made out of mostly water, that bone could have fossilized, again brains are made of mostly water which could have vaporized to form clouds. We have no scientific data that would say that a giants blood was not in fact pure water, nor that his bones were not made out of stone, we do not have any data that says that a giants hair was not made of trees nor that his brains were not made of clouds so scientifically we have no data refuteing Ymir.

Pale Rider said:
Excelent question. I've pondered that one myself... to no avail. It's beyond the comprehension of a human.

Maybe one day man will have all the answers. Unfortunately for now, all we can do is speculate and argue our own points of view, of which no one here can prove they're right and another is wrong.

Some day about three trillion years from now, our sun is going to Nova, and then all this talk about where we came from won't matter anymore, because our home, the earth, and all that ever existed here will be gone forever. Our little solar system will just be another gas cloud in the never ending expanse of space.

Some day much sooner than that the Son of Man will return on a cloud of fire and I and the other 143,999 good guys will go off to eat the Ice Cream of Unimaginable Bliss while you will spend eternity in a really hot tub with Tipper Gore.

mrsx said:
Some day much sooner than that the Son of Man will return on a cloud of fire and I and the other 139,999 good guys will go off to eat the Ice Cream of Unimaginable Bliss while you will spend eternity in a really hot tub with Tipper Gore.

Let me guess you must be a Jehovah's Witness.

I am in the Jehova's Witness Protection Program. I sell Intelligent Design videos on eBay to make expenses. I can probably get you in if you act now.

deaddude said:
With your argument I can argue that Ymir was a giant, that blood is made out of mostly water, that bone could have fossilized, again brains are made of mostly water which could have vaporized to form clouds. We have no scientific data that would say that a giants blood was not in fact pure water, nor that his bones were not made out of stone, we do not have any data that says that a giants hair was not made of trees nor that his brains were not made of clouds so scientifically we have no data refuteing Ymir.

I think you dropped a little too much LSD...then again maybe you escaped one of the fifty gallon drums at area 51............. :cof:

deaddude said:
Nor do we have scientific evidence that there was a giant, massive enough to become the earth. However there is "light" and "earth." Both there from the beginning. What would be the effects if the lakes were originally blood? Are there iron-rich deposits in every lake bed. Does the sedimentary evidence justify this theory? Are all mountains composed solely of calcium carbonate? What phenomenon would have occured to vaporize the brains, and is there any evidence of this phenomenon left on the earth as proof?

MissileMan said:
It was your comment, you tell me. :)

Adam and Eve in the Garden speaking to the serpent show the origin of sin and death. These are philosophical issues, not scientific. Yet, physical evidence for an intelligent Creator exists. The account of Cain murdering Abel is a historical story, but there is evidence for massive global flooding in the "billions of dead things buried in rock layers laid down by water all over the earth." (Buddy Davis song) I think these things should be shown to schoolchildren.

However, the Kansas school board is not even asking this much. The only thing it wants to do is be allowed to show that there are problems with the theory of macroevolution, and to tell kids that it is a theory, not a fact. Can't understand at all why this would be a problem. It is just blatant subversion of the truth.

mrsx said:
Some day much sooner than that the Son of Man will return on a cloud of fire and I and the other 143,999 good guys will go off to eat the Ice Cream of Unimaginable Bliss while you will spend eternity in a really hot tub with Tipper Gore.

I hate to tell you, but you aren't one of the 144,000. Those spaces were all filled early last century. Anyway, those are all supposed to be Jews. Sorry. :(

mom4 said:
Adam and Eve in the Garden speaking to the serpent show the origin of sin and death. These are philosophical issues, not scientific. Yet, physical evidence for an intelligent Creator exists. The account of Cain murdering Abel is a historical story, but there is evidence for massive global flooding in the "billions of dead things buried in rock layers laid down by water all over the earth." (Buddy Davis song) I think these things should be shown to schoolchildren.

However, the Kansas school board is not even asking this much. The only thing it wants to do is be allowed to show that there are problems with the theory of macroevolution, and to tell kids that it is a theory, not a fact. Can't understand at all why this would be a problem. It is just blatant subversion of the truth.

If Adam and Eve were the first human beings on Earth as the bible claims, you don't think that should be the first chapter in every biology book under the heading "The origin of man"?

Evidence of flooding does not necessarily equate evidence of biblical scientific accuracy. For instance, if the story of Noah and the Great Flood are true, where is the trail that leads to all of the planets animals coming from a single point of origin (the Ark)?

Besides, the last time I checked, it was called "Darwin and the Theory of Evolution" It is included in science books because of the mountain of evidence that points to it being a sound theory. If and when ID has a significant amount of real scientific data to back it up, then, and only then should it be added to science texts.

Forum List

Back