Dark Shadows

Vidi

CDZ prohibited
Mar 19, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
My wife and I hit the local drive in this weekend to catch the Avengers. It was the second movie in a triple feature. The first of the three was the new Tim Burton comedy, Dark Shadows, starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonom Carter, based on the British* TV show of the same name.

Dark Shadows is a convoluted, unfunny, cliche driven mess of a film. Depp delivers his usual pale faced eccentric performance that has become require of him in every Tim Burton film. Sure, the movie is visually stunning, the soundtrack actually fairly decent ( the movie is set in the 1970s ) but the script and direction are so bad it creates a physical reaction...and not a good one.

Predictable almost from the start, the Burton decides to throw in a few twists at the end without giving even a hint of what's coming making those twists ridiculous and out of synch with the rest of the picture.

I actually said aloud...more than once..."This movie is awful!" during the film itself.

If I were to rate it on a scale from 1 to 10, it would receive a negative 7. I haven't seen anything this bad since I was forced to sit through Rosanne Barrs movie, She-Devil.

Luckily, the Avengers was good so the night wasn't a total loss. The third movie was Lockout starring Guy Pierce but it was 1am when Avengers finished, and morning comes early so we skipped it and went home.

*Correction: Dark Shadows was an American show airing on ABC, not a British show as I originally posted.

Last edited:
Johnny Depp's portrayal in "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" was pretty bad. It seemed like he was trying to act like Michael Jackson.
"Ed Wood" was so bad that it's a cult classic.

Johnny Depp keeps proving he's not exactly a decent actor when he's trying to be funny.

My 21 yo daughter and her friends went to see it the other night.
She said it was like a cheaply made TV movie thrown together at the last minute.

I'm getting a little tired of Hollywood taking the title of a TV show or game and then making something that bears no resemblance to the original. 21 Jump Street, Battleship and Dark Shadows comes to mind. Just make your damn movie and give it it's own title without trying to bank on the name of the original.

Dark Shadows was a British show? I remember my Mom watching it when I was little.

No. I had that wrong. It was an American show. It aired on ABC frm 1966 to 1971 and according to Wikipedia had 1225 episodes!

And my husband is busy collecting every last one of them. Can't say I liked the show too much, I was probably too young when it started but I did like the remake in the 80's.

New Topics

Forum List

Back