Dark (2017 Netflix show)

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie

This is an interesting show. I first heard about it on Bobby Lee's podcast, Tiger Belly, where it was highly recommended by Bobby Lee and his girlfriend. The show was recommended to them by another comedian, Chris D'Elia, who never recommended any show or movie to them ever before.

When I looked into the show more, I discovered that it was created in Netflix and filmed/produced in Germany. It is Netflix's first show to be made/shot in Germany with a German production team and German actors. It is not a show created in Germany that Netflix later bought. Netflix actually pitched it to a couple in Germany and wanted them to be the show runners. Thus, Netflix has been involved since the beginning.

Although the show is in German, you can watch it with English dubbing. However, I couldn't stand the English dubbing within seconds of trying it, so I reverted to watching it in German with English subtitles.

The show is an extremely slow burn. Everything moves very slow. But it has great cinematography and acting. I wasn't truly hooked until episode 5.

This is one of those shows where nearly everyone is unlikable. My favorite character so far is this one little deaf girl, but she doesn't show up for a few episodes. Episode 5 is the first episode that finally gives some answers. I kind of guessed that this is what was happening, but I thought it was happening to another character, not the one revealed.

There are still many unanswered questions, so I will keep watching.

I would say the show has been about 7.5/10 on average until episode 5, which I would rate 8.5/10. I feel like the show is slowly building to something, so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

The trailer drew many comparisons to Stranger Things, but this show is very different from Stranger Things. There are a few, tiny, superficial similarities, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I hate subtitles, so if I try this it will be dubbed. If it's a bad dub, as you seem to indicate, I'll probably end up skipping it. :( I just really dislike the way subtitles, by forcing one to focus on the words rather than what's going on in the scene, take away from the visuals and force one out of the story.

I hate subtitles, so if I try this it will be dubbed. If it's a bad dub, as you seem to indicate, I'll probably end up skipping it. :( I just really dislike the way subtitles, by forcing one to focus on the words rather than what's going on in the scene, take away from the visuals and force one out of the story.

To be fair, I didn't listen to more than 15 seconds of the dub, and it was a whiny kid yelling. Maybe the rest is better lol.

Forum List

Back