Danish paper rejected Jesus cartoons

nkml

Rookie
Feb 6, 2006
Gwladys Fouché and agencies
Monday February 6, 2006

Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad that have caused a storm of protest throughout the Islamic world, refused to run drawings lampooning Jesus Christ, it has emerged today.

The Danish daily turned down the cartoons of Christ three years ago, on the grounds that they could be offensive to readers and were not funny.

In April 2003, Danish illustrator Christoffer Zieler submitted a series of unsolicited cartoons dealing with the resurrection of Christ to Jyllands-Posten.

Zieler received an email back from the paper's Sunday editor, Jens Kaiser, which said: "I don't think Jyllands-Posten's readers will enjoy the drawings. As a matter of fact, I think that they will provoke an outcry. Therefore, I will not use them."

The illustrator told the Norwegian daily Dagbladet, which saw the email: "I see the cartoons as an innocent joke, of the type that my Christian grandfather would enjoy."

"I showed them to a few pastors and they thought they were funny."

He said that he felt Jyllands-Posten rated the feelings of its Christian readers higher than that of its Muslim readers.

But the Jyllands-Posten editor in question, Mr Kaiser, told MediaGuardian.co.uk that the case was "ridiculous to bring forward now. It has nothing to do with the Muhammad cartoons.

"In the Muhammad drawings case, we asked the illustrators to do it. I did not ask for these cartoons. That's the difference," he said.

"The illustrator thought his cartoons were funny. I did not think so. It would offend some readers, not much but some."

The decision smacks of "double-standards", said Ahmed Akkari, spokesman for the Danish-based European Committee for Prophet Honouring, the umbrella group that represents 27 Muslim organisations that are campaigning for a full apology from Jyllands-Posten.

"How can Jyllands-Posten distinguish the two cases? Surely they must understand," Mr Akkari added.

Meanwhile, the editor of a Malaysian newspaper resigned over the weekend after printing one of the Muhammad cartoons that have unleashed a storm of protest across the Islamic world.

Malaysia's Sunday Tribune, based in the remote state of Sarawak, on Borneo island, ran one of the Danish cartoons on Saturday. It is unclear which one of the 12 drawings was reprinted.

Printed on page 12 of the paper, the cartoon illustrated an article about the lack of impact of the controversy in Malaysia, a country with a majority Muslim population.

The newspaper apologised and expressed "profound regret over the unauthorised publication", in a front page statement on Sunday.

"Our internal inquiry revealed that the editor on duty, who was responsible for the same publication, had done it all alone by himself without authority in compliance with the prescribed procedures as required for such news," the statement said.

The editor, who has not been named, regretted his mistake, apologised and tendered his resignation, according to the statement.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1703501,00.html?gusrc=rss

So much for the freedom of speech crap the danish news paper and the danish goverment told the world 1000 times.

Guess they should have shown the same respect for Islam as they did Christianity.

I, for one, would have thought they wouldn't have printed either.

GotZoom said:
Guess they should have shown the same respect for Islam as they did Christianity.

True, they should have shown the same respect to Islam.

GotZoom said:

Or printed both. I don't see why everyone has to be so damned deadly-serious and thin-skinned over a freakin' cartoon.

GunnyL said:
Why? What exactly has Islam done to EARN any respect?
You clearly know nothing of Islam, don't expect me to explain what the religion of 1.5 billion people is in a few words, it should be respected because it is the religion of 1.5 billion people.

nkml said:
You clearly know nothing of Islam, don't expect me to explain what the religion of 1.5 billion people is in a few words, it should be respected because it is the religion of 1.5 billion people.

It should be no more respected nor have its ass kissed than any other religion.

If you're waiting on ME to censor myself so as to not offend your religious beliefs, don't hold you'll breath.

nkml said:

So the only reason to respect a "group" is because of how many people are in that group?

GotZoom said:
So the only reason to respect a "group" is because of how many people are in that group?
Nope, that wasn't my point, all religions should be respected no matter how small or big the religion's follower's are, GunnyL was clearly trying to get me into the debate about the action of a number of Muslims whom actions i might disagree with, and try to to condemn the whole religion of the actions of these people, I don't remember anyone accusing Christianity of anything when Timothy blow up that government building.

nkml said:
Nope, that wasn't my point, all religions should be respected no matter how small or big the religion's follower's are, GunnyL was clearly trying to get me into the debate about the action of a number of Muslims whom actions i might disagree with, and try to to condemn the whole religion of the actions of these people, I don't remember anyone accusing Christianity of anything when Timothy blow up that government building.

And I have not blamed all Islam for the actions of a few. I blame only those responsible; which, btw, is far more than one dipstick.

GunnyL said:
And I have not blamed all Islam for the actions of a few. I blame only those responsible; which, btw, is far more than one dipstick.
So if that's true, why shouldn't Islam be respected?

nkml said:
So if that's true, why shouldn't Islam be respected?

Because at its core, its a religion of intolerance. Other religions preach salvation within their own faith. They speak of God punishing those that do not follow the faith when the day of judgement comes. Islam preaches for the followers to actively convert those non-believers to Islam or kill them in the name of Ala. It does not say that Ala will kill them, it says for the true believers to convert the non-believers through any means neccassary.

Religion of Peace it is NOT.

nkml said:
Such as Judaism?

GotZoom said:

Actually I would have thought it would have been just the opposite. Deference to Muslims, and screws to the Christians.

Bonnie said:
Actually I would have thought it would have been just the opposite. Deference to Muslims, and screws to the Christians.

That is reality.

I don't think nkml wants to talk about reality.

manu1959 said:
danmark has anti-blasphemy laws.....they are not allowed by law to mess with any religion

Muslims have taken a violent stand regarding what THEY believe to be sacred. Nations and the media now must decide a course of action. I assume the course of action will depend on the political climate. The US has it's own laws regarding freedom of speech which includes the right to trash any religious figure you want to. Now if you show a nipple on TV, we will take away some of your money instead of poking your eyes out. Taking away money and freedom for disobeying our censorship laws is much more "humane" and accepted as legit by most Americans.
Americans don't understand muslims but maybe some are beginning to understand the things that muslims accept as "normal" for an Islamic theocracy.
( Is the ACLU popping up to support the press' right to attack anything they please ? )

Forum List

Back