Danish Embassy In Indonesia Stormed

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
i put it in war on terror because this is what we're dealing with among the "non-terrorists" in this conflict, they're often just as irrational.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/03/news/web.0203toon.indo.php?rss

Danish Embassy in Indonesia stormed
The Associated Press

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2006

JAKARTA, Indonesia More than 150 hardline Muslims stormed into a high-rise building housing the Danish Embassy on Friday to protest the publication of caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad, then tore down and burned the country's white and red flag.

The rowdy protest was one of the first in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation, against the 12 cartoons that first appeared in a Danish newspaper in September. They were reprinted in several other European newspapers this week in a gesture of press freedom.

"We are not terrorists, we are not anarchists, but we are against those people who blaspheme Islam," one of the protesters shouted outside the building, which also houses several other foreign missions.

The demonstrators, who wore white Arabic-style robes, pelted the building with eggs before pushing their way past security guards into the building's plush lobby.

Shouting "God is Great," they tried to push into elevators to reach the mission on the building's 25th floor, but were told to stop by protest leaders. Some furniture was damaged in the melee, an Associated Press photographer said.

Before the protesters left the building in the heart of the city's business district, they tore the embassy's flag down and set it on fire on the pavement.

The demonstrators also stopped outside an Indonesian newspaper which briefly ran one of the cartoons on its Web site Thursday to illustrate its story on the uproar generated by them elsewhere in the Muslim world.

Editors of Rakyat Merdeka met some of the protesters. In a posting on the site later Friday, the paper said it told them that the picture was meant to give context to the story - something it said the demonstrators understood. It also published an apology to anyone who was offended by the picture.

Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the prophet, favorable or otherwise, to prevent idolatry. The drawings have prompted boycotts of Danish goods, bomb threats and demonstrations against Danish facilities in Muslim nations.

Indonesia's government reiterated earlier criticism of the paper's decision to publish.

"This is about insensitivity and a trend toward Islamaphobia," said foreign ministry spokesman Yuri Thamrin.

"As a democratic country we are very aware of press freedom, but we also believe it should not be used to slander or defame sacred religious symbols."

Indonesia has 220 million people, most of them moderate Muslims.

Friday's protest created little fanfare in a country where much larger demonstrations occur on a daily basis. Nearby office workers and residents mostly ignored the protest or stopped only briefly.

The protesters in Jakarta were members of the Islamic Defenders Front, which campaigns for Islamic law and often takes to the street against perceived violators of Islamic rules at home or abroad.

Three protesters said they were received by the Danish ambassador, and claimed he told them he planned to apologize to Indonesian Muslims for causing offense.

"If he doesn't, then we will demand the government kick him out," said protest organizer Ali Reza.

"
We are not terrorists, we are not anarchists, but we are against those people who blaspheme Islam"

OBL would probly say the same thing. You ARE a terrorist. Too bad for you.

And what bugs me the worst? This:

This is about insensitivity and a trend toward Islamaphobia,"

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. a MUSLIM kills someone, everyone's worried about a backlash against Muslims. Everyone's worried about "Islamophobia". Well ya know what? Insofar as Islam is the only religion in the world today whose adherants are actively trying to destroy our civilization, I'd say we have a good reason to be suspicious of these people. Stop ululating and cutting off kuffar heads for a moment and get with the 21st century, or at least the 16th, THEN maybe we can all get along.

theim said:
OBL would probly say the same thing. You ARE a terrorist. Too bad for you.

Funny did somebody hijack a plane? Was anyone killed? Did a bomb go off? Was a single weapon fired? Not according to the article. The worst you have here is tresspassing and destruction of property. So I will have to disagree with you, I do not think that burning a flag can realy be called an act of terrorism.

deaddude said:
Funny did somebody hijack a plane? Was anyone killed? Did a bomb go off? Was a single weapon fired? Not according to the article. The worst you have here is tresspassing and destruction of property. So I will have to disagree with you, I do not think that burning a flag can realy be called an act of terrorism.

Storming an Embassy with guns is terror. Its the threat of violence to force their political agenda.

theHawk said:
Storming an Embassy with guns is terror. Its the threat of violence to force their political agenda.

Where in the article does it say that they had guns, if they did have guns then I would agree with you, however I have read the article three times looking for any mention of guns, and found none.

nosarcasm said:
Muslim apologist suck.

As does equating A. throwing eggs B. Breaking and entering C. burning a flag with terrorism. Sounds more like a halloween prank then terrorism.

deaddude said:
As does equating A. throwing eggs B. Breaking and entering C. burning a flag with terrorism. Sounds more like a halloween prank then terrorism.

their goal is to strike fear and terror into the hearts of the danes to convince them not to speak ill of their religion....the demand tollerance of their views and they will take whaterver intollerant measure neccessary to obtian tollerance of they beliefs and actions.....

they are religious terrorists

spin it however you like...

From the "Pictures Worth a Thousand Words" file:

20060203BritishMuslims-ps.jpg

manu1959 said:
their goal is to strike fear and terror into the hearts of the danes to convince them not to speak ill of their religion....the demand tollerance of their views and they will take whaterver intollerant measure neccessary to obtian tollerance of they beliefs and actions.....

they are religious terrorists

spin it however you like...

you wish to equate a group of people throwing eggs at a building to a group of people who ran a plane into one? sounds alot like spin to me.

theim said:
From the "Pictures Worth a Thousand Words" file:

20060203BritishMuslims-ps.jpg

This is from the protest described above? If not then you are taking one person who was not even part of the protest and trying to paint the prosters with the same brush.

deaddude said:
you wish to equate a group of people throwing eggs at a building to a group of people who ran a plane into one? sounds alot like spin to me.

a lot is two words and i was not trying to equate the two....don't lie it makes you look silly

I think the irony that is lost on the muslim protesters is that their violent reaction is the exact reason the charicature was made. It also makes it more accurate.

manu1959 said:
i was not trying to equate the two....

Maybe we just see the word terroist differently then, to me a terrorist is a matter of scale. Throwing eggs at building does not make you a terrorist, running a plane into a building does. Breaking and entering does not make you a terrorist, shooting the people inside does. Burning a flag does not make you a terrorist, incinerateing a bus full of people with a suicide bomb does.

Calling someone a terrorist brings most americans back to 9-11 and Osama. These people did nothing that is even comparable to nine eleven, and I know I would rather see Osama dragged behind a bus by his entrails.

deaddude said:
Maybe we just see the word terroist differently then, to me a terrorist is a matter of scale. Throwing eggs at building does not make you a terrorist, running a plane into a building does. Breaking and entering does not make you a terrorist, shooting the people inside does. Burning a flag does not make you a terrorist, incinerateing a bus full of people with a suicide bomb does.

Calling someone a terrorist brings most americans back to 9-11 and Osama. These people did nothing that is even comparable to nine eleven, and I know I would rather see Osama dragged behind a bus by his entrails.

Deaddude, they STORMED the embassies. Here's what stormed means in this context:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=storm
6 A violent, sudden attack on a fortified place.

It's VIOLENT, ok? Get a grip.

...The demonstrators, who wore white Arabic-style robes, pelted the building with eggs before pushing their way past security guards into the building's plush lobby.
If you were working in this building, this would be terrifying. Perhaps not quite at the level of "terrorist" up to this point, but certainly far worse than merely "throwing eggs", as has been suggested in this thread.

...Shouting "God is Great,"
In other words, they shouted "Allah Akbar", the same phrase that was shouted in Iraq while Al Qaeda terrrorists beheaded innocents. Hmmm. They're starting to seem more like terrorists now.

...they tried to push into elevators to reach the mission on the building's 25th floor, but were told to stop by protest leaders...
One can only assume what they would have done to the people on the 25th floor, had their leaders not stopped them. Perhaps the leaders were afraid the crowd would start terrorizing or murdering the people on the 25th floor.

"This is about insensitivity and a trend toward Islamaphobia," said foreign ministry spokesman Yuri Thamrin.
For once, I can somewhat agree with the phobia nomenclature. I am afraid of crazy Islamists.

The protesters in Jakarta were members of the Islamic Defenders Front, which campaigns for Islamic law and often takes to the street against perceived violators of Islamic rules at home or abroad.
How they try to steal freedom. A hallmark of terrorists, and definitely something to be "phobic" about.

deaddude said:

well the demonstrators in London for example said: Remember 9/11 your
punishment for your agression against Islam. :finger3:

deaddude said:
Where in the article does it say that they had guns, if they did have guns then I would agree with you, however I have read the article three times looking for any mention of guns, and found none.

Yeah. They didn't have any guns. All Muslims are peaceful.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/02/world/main1272489.shtml

They're threatening to start kidnapping people. I would say that's trying to insight fear.

Forum List

Back