Dangerous Windows 10 scam

Q. I was going to wait a while to upgrade my computer to Windows 10, but I just got an email from update @ microsoft.com with the upgrade attached. Should I just go ahead and install it now or keep waiting?

A. Stop right there! The email you got is a dangerous scam that's spreading around the Internet. As a rule, never download and run unsolicited email attachments. If you download and run the "upgrade" file, you'll install a ransomware virus that locks every file on your computer. To get the files back, you can pay the hackers who made the virus or jump through a bunch of technical hoops. The real Windows 10 upgrade is handled through the white Windows icon in your taskbar's notification area, not email. Before you install, find out if Windows 10 is right for you and your PC. Already installed Windows 10? Read to the end for a cool secret you don't want to miss.
THANK YOU - I got the same email and was waiting till I had some free time to download - glad I saw your post - THANK YOU

Personally, I would stay away from PC Matic, since it's based on a "white list".

That will either limit access, or let you allow sites in with a simple click.

Would you have sex with a stranger without using a rubber? Go with a solid anti virus.

If i can add a question, what is the best anti-virus software? I am using AVG now but thinking of going to PCmatic (sp). I like their commercials. BTW, I am pretty cheap.
I used AVG with Win98-SE and it worked very well. I tried it with Win-7 but it caused a conflict. So the IT who helps me advised me to use Windows Essentials, which is free, needs no attention, scans automatically every day, and I've never had a problem.

I would be happy to pay for it if it wasn't free.

I don't have a problem with AVG and Win 7. I would think that the microsoft stuff would be good but it seems to get panned pretty much.

I don't have a problem with AVG and Win 7. I would think that the microsoft stuff would be good but it seems to get panned pretty much.
It interfered with a program I use, which is why I switched to Windows Essentials.

As I said, AVG worked very well for me in Windows 98-SE -- but not with 7.

Unfortunately, as far as I can determine, there is no Windows Essentials version for Windows 10. The latest is for 8.1

Unfortunately, as far as I can determine, there is no Windows Essentials version for Windows 10. The latest is for 8.1
II do recall reading some time ago that Microsoft intended to discontinue Essentials, which is a damn shame. I've been using it for about three years and so far I've had no problems. Now and then I'm alerted to a quarantined item, which I assume is either a virus or malware, and I remove it with one click.

Whenever I shut down I've noticed there often are up to ten updates waiting to download and install. I believe these updates are virus signatures which Essentials is protecting me against. So it is likely that the effort required to perform this valuable service has become a burden on Microsoft, which is why they've decided to discontinue it.

Very disappointing.

II do recall reading some time ago that Microsoft intended to discontinue Essentials, which is a damn shame. I've been using it for about three years and so far I've had no problems. Now and then I'm alerted to a quarantined item, which I assume is either a virus or malware, and I remove it with one click.

Whenever I shut down I've noticed there often are up to ten updates waiting to download and install. I believe these updates are virus signatures which Essentials is protecting me against. So it is likely that the effort required to perform this valuable service has become a burden on Microsoft, which is why they've decided to discontinue it.

Very disappointing.

I get daily notices that Firewall is working. Apparently, Defender is gone. But, I have McAfee and get daily updates on my security.

New Topics

Forum List

Back