Dangerous Chemicals in the Environment

Discussion in 'Environment' started by PoliticalChic, Jan 19, 2013.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,662
    Give the environmental movement its due!

1. If there is one positive to be said for the environmental movement, it is that they bring public awareness of dangerous chemicals in our environment. Case in point: “The Invisible Killer: Dihydrogen Monoxide”

a. Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there.

b. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage.

c. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance.

d. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

e. Is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain…contributes to the "greenhouse effect."…may cause severe burns….contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape….accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals….may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes….has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.”

f. Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today.”
    Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

2. The above exposes the inanity of the environmental movement. Why? How? Well, those of us who recall even our junior high school chemistry recognize dihydrogen monoxide, which follows the proper conventions for chemical nomenclature, as what is, colloquially, known as water. Environmentalism takes advantage of the fact that most folks have a limited knowledge of chemistry, and fear what they don’t understand.

a. So, collectivists- totalitarian big government agents- realize that most are susceptible to irrational fears…and, essentially, promise ‘don’t worry! We’ll take care of…protect you!” From water??

3. While not as ubiquitous nor as harmless as water….DDT served as the stepping stone that launched the movement: The movement arose from the dead in the 1960’s, with the publication of Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring.” From that moment, progressives embraced radical environmentalism and other visions of natural utopia. Based on anecdotal evidence and dubious statistics coupled with heaping doses of paranoia, but very little science, it gave birth to the full-blown Progressive!

a. Carson’s book was dismissed in ‘Science’ magazine as a “prosecuting attorney’s impassioned plea for action,” not a book based on scientific data.
    I.L.Baldwin, “Chemicals and Pests,” Science, September 28, 1962, p.1042-1043.

b. “Sixty million people have died needlessly of malaria, since the imposition of the 1972 ban on DDT, and hundreds of millions more have suffered from this debilitating disease. The majority of those affected are children.” Bring Back DDT!

4. The more one knows, the more pathetic the Environmental Movement is seen to be. But, at the same time, the words of Lord Byron, “And if I laugh at any mortal thing,
    'Tis that I may not weep.”
    One has to cry at how many invest these thieves of liberty, these dictators of everything we have and everything we do, with political power.

The old saying "knowledge is power" rings true. So, also, is “resist or lack of knowledge results in environmentalism.”

And no one knows it better than a demagogue like Barack Obama.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist "Remain Calm People!" Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,940
    "Would you like to sign our petition to ban Di-Hydrogen Monoxide?"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw&playnext=1&list=PL551D01C84B0DCBD1&feature=results_video]Penn And Teller Get Hippies To Sign Water Banning Petition - YouTube[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,063
    Fucking dumb. Exactly what one would expect from the source.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    no sense of humour Old Rocks?

5. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645

why does that OP sound suspiciously like the overwraught and exaggerated conclusions of so many supposedly serious papers blaming CAGW for every bad thing under the sun?

6. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist "Remain Calm People!" Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,940
    Just like everyone who signed that petition huh? :lol:

7. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,662

Oooops!

A case of Voluntary Tourette's!!!!

A sure sign that I hit he nail on your head.

True?

8. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Since we are being overly general I feel chemical pollution regulation is another issue where Republicans find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of inaction.

Along with the hyprocracy of wanting small government then creating the Patriot Homeland Security Department or using John Ashcroft to impose religous views on Oregon NIMBY costs you all votes.

NIMBY? Well if coal power was so great Chesterfield would be fighting for a coal plant to be relocated there.

Oddly HUGE industries are relegated to the ghettos of East St Louis....because Democrats there love em? No, because the powers that be here want them down wind and down stream whenever possible because of.....some pointless fear of chemicals????? No, because of the reality of chemicals.

I'm not an environut, right now I'm taking a break from working on the 68 coupe and my daily driver LSC. But I do thank the enviromentalists for banning lead in gas and forcing dirty coal out of folk's home heaters.

9. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,211
    Talk about irony.

10. Jimmy_Jam

Jimmy_Jam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Bring back DDT?

Debatable, but I will remind everybody that we can talk about the number of deaths caused by malaria all we want, but while we do so the human population continues to grow at an exponential rate, and will continue to do so until it can no longer be sustained. I don't know that the existence of an Environmental movement or lack thereof will have much to do with it. Perhaps that is the OP's point, or at least partially so.