Dang, You Gotta Love This Post

Kathianne said:
I think the 'equivalency thing' has always been pushed by the 'ivory tower' or extremist folks. It's been many, many years since I was in high school, but we had a girl insist on going out for football, this was when that was all starting up. I mean she was 'BIG', but really what was the point? Fine for her, but did the rest of us really think that it was some 'breakthrough?' No.

All these years later, we still pay a price for 'evening out' the money between boys teams and girls teams, though there still are no girls on the football team.

Were there issues to be addressed about 'fairness' between the sexes and true minority groups? Yes. Have they been, yeah, for the most part.

The real damages of the times of 'equality' though, has been done between the relationships of men and women and to some extent between the races and assumptions on why a person is in the position they are in.

The false 'equality' of positions of strength was always a red herring in my opinion. No, it wouldn't kill to let the BIG girl play football, if she was strong enough and fast enough. Same with if she wanted to be a fireman. Big whoopee. But most women are not qualified physically for these positions. Just the way it is. There are also a few men that are not big enough or strong enough to do most of the things most men can do. Thems the breaks.

These exceptions though have made the 'norm' the 'abnormal'. Now it must be 'proven' why some woman was denied a position or given a position they are not qualified for. That's just wrong. It should not be the exception makes the rules.

Granted in the society we live in, most jobs today require brains over brawn, thus women are able to qualify and compete fairly. That's not a bad thing. The problem as I see it is that we've come round to saying that women and minorities should be given preferential treatment and guys should just shut up and take it, though they aren't anymore. Instead they are becoming more hostile, even to those that agree with them and are left with a reinforced view that 'seemingly nice' women are 'biotches' simply because they are responding to the unjustified anger displayed to them, while all along not disagreeing with the angry guy.

When everyone is worthy of preferential treatment except white males, I'd hardly call our anger/hostility over it unjustified. I do agree however that many lash out blindly at whoever the messenger is, and that just makes the situation worse.

We are just as hostile over being treated unfairly as any minority was over being treated unfairly. I am not sure how one justifies doing to others the exact same thing one has been fighting against. Hipocrisy in its purest form.

Bullypulpit said:
We've made quite a habit of providing phony, unearned self-esteem in this society over the last forty years or so. As a result, we're producing a whole gneration that doesn't know the meaning of failure...i.e. get up dust yourself off and do it again until you get it right. Instead they get this look of utter shock on their faces when they find out the world isn't going to give them a pat on the back for simply breathing.

I am glad to see that you used the term we, as in the far left ultra liberal group you associate yourself with. It certainly isn't coming from conservatives who reward people for their actions rather than for just "being".:finger3:

GunnyL said:
When everyone is worthy of preferential treatment except white males, I'd hardly call our anger/hostility over it unjustified. ...
We are just as hostile over being treated unfairly as any minority was over being treated unfairly. I am not sure how one justifies doing to others the exact same thing one has been fighting against. Hipocrisy in its purest form.
I think men have alot to be angry over.
I hate to repeat myself since I have a lengthy post in general Chat. But men have been the dominate power for... how long??? Where do you think the fault lies then?

BTW Kathianne, terrific post!

Kathianne said:
I think the 'equivalency thing' has always been pushed by the 'ivory tower' or extremist folks. ....
These exceptions though have made the 'norm' the 'abnormal'. Now it must be 'proven' why some woman was denied a position or given a position they are not qualified for. That's just wrong. It should not be the exception makes the rules.......

Forum List

Back