Danforth Criticizes Christian Sway in GOP

theHawk

Registered Conservative
Sep 20, 2005
Arizona
Danforth Criticizes Christian Sway in GOP By DANIEL CONNOLLY, Associated Press Writer
Thu Oct 27,12:23 AM ET

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Former Sen. John Danforth said Wednesday that the political influence of evangelical Christians is hurting the Republican Party and dividing the country.

Danforth, a Missouri Republican and an Episcopal priest, commented after meeting with students at the Bill Clinton School of Public Service, a graduate branch of the University of Arkansas on the grounds of the Clinton presidential library.

"I think that the Republican Party fairly recently has been taken over by the Christian conservatives, by the Christian right," he said in an interview. "I don't think that this is a permanent condition, but I think this has happened, and that it's divisive for the country."

He also said the evangelical Christian influence would be bad for the party in the long run.

Republican National Committee spokeswoman Tracy Schmitt declined to comment on Danforth's remarks.

Danforth, who recently served as ambassador to the United Nations, made similar criticism of the party in an opinion article published by the New York Times in June. In that article, he called for religious moderates to take part in public life.

Danforth, considered a conservative on social issues, was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1976 and served three terms

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051027/ap_on_re_us/danforth_clinton_school

You know I just don't understand why people see Christans voicing their views in a political party as a horrible thing. Can somebody explain to me exactly what the "Christian right" is? What exactly are these so called Christian Right people advocating that is so wrong?

God only knows. (Duh Duh CHING! get it? ahhhh)

Personally I think atheists who see Christmas decorations in public school and take to the airwaves to bitch endlessly about the DARK SHROUD OF THEOCRACY about to descend o'er the land (That would be you, Newdow) are just as annoying, if not more, than "in your face" Christians.

So, there's really a Bill Clinton School of Getting Serviced in Public?

Wow - you've got to hand it to these guys - they're ORGANIZED!

theHawk said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051027/ap_on_re_us/danforth_clinton_school

You know I just don't understand why people see Christans voicing their views in a political party as a horrible thing. Can somebody explain to me exactly what the "Christian right" is? What exactly are these so called Christian Right people advocating that is so wrong?

It is not Christians in general that Danforth was criticizing. Rather it is the lunatic fringe which wants to have their religious doctrine codified into law that is at issue. When that happens, the establishment clause along with the rest of the Constitution can be thrown out with the bathwater, and we will be living in a theocracy.

Bullypulpit said:
It is not Christians in general that Danforth was criticizing. Rather it is the lunatic fringe which wants to have their religious doctrine codified into law that is at issue. When that happens, the establishment clause along with the rest of the Constitution can be thrown out with the bathwater, and we will be living in a theocracy.

and atheistic communists want their beliefs codified into law. Maybe they'll stop when you commies do.

Bullypulpit said:

Thats what I am asking. What 'lunatic fringe' ? What laws have been pushed by this lunatic fringe that makes their religious doctrine codifed into law? Specifics please? Are we talking about people that think its OK to have a public prayer said before a high school football game? Otherwise, I wasn't aware that there were Christians going around tyring to make it unlawfull to not be a Christian.

rtwngAvngr said:
and atheistic communists want their beliefs codified into law. Maybe they'll stop when you commies do.

Exactly, its A OK for atheists to force their beliefs on the rest of us, but its not ok for anything religious to be displayed. Is just seeing or hearing something about God or Jesus really have that much of an effect on atheists? They act like having to hear a public prayer is like mind control. They must be pretty weak minded if supposedly just seeing or hearing anything religious effects them. But we all know thats not the case. The truth is they are offended by anything religious. I'm sorry but if you can't simply respect other people's religions, you're in the wrong country. We are supposed to be tolerant to religious differences. If you want a No God country, move out, there are plenty of them out there take your pick. :bye1:

Bullypulpit said:

Wanting your personal ideas to be reflected in the laws of the country...and saying so.

Gosh, what a bunch of whackos.

rtwngAvngr said:

First of all, I'm not a communist. And while I AM an atheist, I could give a fat rat's behind what you put up in your yard for the holidays. I just don't want the government to wind up in the hands of an American Taliban.

Bullypulpit said:
First of all, I'm not a communist. And while I AM an atheist, I could give a fat rat's behind what you put up in your yard for the holidays. I just don't want the government to wind up in the hands of an American Taliban.

I hear there's a cure for Zeusophobia these days.

theHawk said:
Exactly, its A OK for atheists to force their beliefs on the rest of us, but its not ok for anything religious to be displayed. Is just seeing or hearing something about God or Jesus really have that much of an effect on atheists? They act like having to hear a public prayer is like mind control. They must be pretty weak minded if supposedly just seeing or hearing anything religious effects them. But we all know thats not the case. The truth is they are offended by anything religious. I'm sorry but if you can't simply respect other people's religions, you're in the wrong country. We are supposed to be tolerant to religious differences. If you want a No God country, move out, there are plenty of them out there take your pick. :bye1:

Problem is, hearing a Christian message which speaks of rules and personal accountability tells these people who have discarded God because he is inconvenient to their personal behavior reminds them they are moral-less dirtbags.

Bullypulpit said:

It is not Democrats in general that we were criticizing. Rather it is the lunatic fringe which wants to have their secular doctrine codified into law that is at issue. When that happens, the establishment clause along with the rest of the Constitution can be thrown out with the bathwater, and we will be living in a communist state.

Well I still have yet to hear an answer to my question of what laws are being pushed in congress to force Christianity on the people.

Forum List

Back