Dan Rather to Step Down

Bonnie said:
I suppose March is better than the original time table of May. Unfortunately I suspect we will be seeing him do his little 1 hour expose's on how horrible Bush is in his second term, hopefully on that pasture of has beens known as PBS rather than mainstream network affiliates.
Plus.... he can start a production company on the side like that former CBS reporter Bill Moyer. Great job.... he can push his personal political agenda.... get paid for it.... have the taxpayers foot the bill.... and not allow anyone to audit his books!

KarlMarx said:
Plus.... he can start a production company on the side like that former CBS reporter Bill Moyer. Great job.... he can push his personal political agenda.... get paid for it.... have the taxpayers foot the bill.... and not allow anyone to audit his books!

SO where are the results from the investigation ????????? Are they too hot to release?

dilloduck said:
SO where are the results from the investigation ????????? Are they too hot to release?

Ive heard it suggested the results of that investigation are the reason he is stepping down sooner rather than later. The question is will those results be made public????? Or watered down for public consumption.

A man who'd traveled to places you guys wouldn't have the balls to travel; a man who'd reported the news of the Vietnam War straight from the frontlines...? :wtf:

This man did anything and everything to inform you on what was going on. Typical extremist conservative bigotry; mess up once and you'll have to wear the Scarlet Letter. In this case "L".

I wish Dan Rather good luck and God's speed! I hope that whoever replaces him possess equal, if not better, integrity.

hylandrdet said:
A man who'd traveled to places you guys wouldn't have the balls to travel; a man who'd reported the news of the Vietnam War straight from the frontlines...? :wtf:

This man did anything and everything to inform you on what was going on. Typical extremist conservative bigotry; mess up once and you'll have to wear the Scarlet Letter. In this case "L".

I wish Dan Rather good luck and God's speed! I hope that whoever replaces him possess equal, if not better, integrity.

:bs1:

:piss2: dan rather and his commie brethren

fuzzykitten99 said:
:bs1:

:piss2: dan rather and his commie brethren

I respect any person who tries very hard to report the truth. This man had done so for over 25 years; that's a very long time for anyone to be held accountable about his/her's reporting.

"In order to hear me, you must first dig the crap out of your ears; before you can dig the crap out of your ears, you must first pull your head out of your ass"

Good ol' Dan Rather, bastion of truth and respectability. :rolleyes:

Of course, duing those 25 years, there was no one to challenge him, Jennings, or Brokaw or their kind.... so the claim that he told the truth during that entire time is somewhat subjective, now isn't it?

If it weren't for the new media.... Dan Rather would now be the toast of the town for being so courageous and revealing those long lost memos....

I wonder how Watergate and the McCarthy hearings would have played out if there were Rush Limbaughs, Drudge and the Internet like today?

During the Watergate days, he was Richard Nixon's nemesis. Strange how Dan Rather acted just like hiim during this entire episode.... the denials, the stonewalling.

I wonder if he'll talk about his dog "Checkers" and have a helicopter whisk him away when it's all over?

Do you suppose they'll be singing "Anchors Away" at his going away party? :)

D4804US0.jpg

hylandrdet said:

Curious as to how you define integrity??????????? :confused:

Dan Rather Blinks
By Cal Thomas
November 25, 2004 | Print | Send

Dan Rather, who has announced his "retirement" next March from the anchor desk he has held for 24 years, is a dinosaur. After the last of the old news anchors leaves his chair (Peter Jennings will be the final one sitting), Rather, Tom Brokaw and Jennings will be fossils. There will not be their like again.

Rather earned his stripes and paid his dues during a career that has spanned four decades at CBS and as a wire-service reporter before that. He is a man who loves his country. Recall his emotional breakdown on the "Late Show With David Letterman" following 9/11. Rather said he would go and fight the terrorists if the president asked him. Some thought his performance strange, even grandstanding. I thought he meant it.

While Rather is 73 and could have been expected to retire soon (his predecessor, Walter Cronkite, was forced out at age 65), the controversy over faked National Guard documents purporting to show George W. Bush failed to fulfill his military obligations appeared to give CBS management the excuse it needed to make a change. Rather, who helped bring down Richard Nixon, was himself brought down by a gross inaccuracy and a type of stonewalling reminiscent of the president he tormented.

It doesn't matter who replaces Rather. Everyone at that level of broadcast journalism has been ideologically vetted. No one who is a conservative is allowed to ascend to the top of major news organizations. If you disagree, try naming one. Despite plummeting ratings and numerous surveys that have shown large numbers of people believe the major networks approach the things conservatives care about with a bias, even hostility, network executives refuse to acknowledge those feelings and continue to present the news through the filter of their leftist ideological worldview.

Brent Bozell, president of the Media Research Center and a frequent critic of Rather, observed: "Mr. Rather's bias is part of an institutional problem throughout the national 'news' media - identified by former longtime CBS News correspondent Bernard Goldberg - which is the arrogant notion that their point of view is always accurate and always relevant to any story in which they choose to inject it."

More proof that nothing changes at the networks is the appointment of Jonathan Klein as president of CNN. Klein was executive vice president of CBS News. He praised the "60 Minutes" producer, Mary Mapes, who received and vouched for the forged National Guard documents from a well-known Bush-hater. Klein called Mapes "absolutely peerless . . . in the profession. She is a crack journalist."

Klein also blasted Internet bloggers for exposing the forged documents and CBS's error in standing behind them. He stereotyped a blogger as "a guy sitting in his living room in his pajamas writing what he thinks." The bloggers did a better job than CBS news anchors and producers, who sit around in their expensive suits telling us what they think. Klein carries his biases from CBS to CNN.

The "60 Minutes" curmudgeon, Andy Rooney, has been making a bigger fool of himself lately by calling conservative Christians uneducated and ignorant. When the sports commentator Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder disparaged blacks in 1988, Dan Rather aired video of the remarks, which led to Snyder's firing by CBS management. That Rooney still holds his job after stereotyping and disparaging Christians sends a message of bias, even bigotry, to a substantial audience that CBS has mostly lost and obviously does not care if it wins back.

CBS's eye logo is an appropriate metaphor for what ails the network. "There is none so blind as they that won't see," wrote Jonathan Swift. Notice he didn't say "can't see," but "won't see."

CBS is not blind, but it deliberately closes its eyes to the institutional bias that substantial numbers of Americans can see quite clearly. Unlike the period during which anchors dominated the national news stage, people now have choices. They are choosing cable, especially Fox News Channel, in growing numbers.

If CBS continues in denial - and it will - its evening news ratings, which have been in third place for several years, will suffer further decline. It didn't have to be this way for Dan Rather or for the once great CBS. He should have learned from Richard Nixon that cover-up and stonewalling can come back to haunt you.

©2004 Tribune Media Services

Maybe we're being too hard on Jonathan Klein. Perhaps, when he called Mary Mapes a "crack journalist", he was talking about what she smokes while she's doing a story. Or, he might have been under the impression that his quote would be cited by Barbara Walters, in which case, his appraisal would prove 100% accurate.

Forum List

Back