Dan Rather to Leave CBS In Spring?

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
CBS has never disclosed a timetable for replacing Mr Rather, who turns 73 next month and who has been the anchor of the nightly news since March 1981. But in the weeks before Sept. 8. when the Wednesday edition of" 60 minutes" broadcast its report based on documents it now says cannot be authenticated, officials atop the network and it's news division had begun discussing a transition plan, a network executive said last week.

The options under consideraqtion include having Mr Rather step down sometime next srping, perhaps near the end fo the prime-time season in May, giving his replacement the relatively low- profile summer months to find his or her bearings, said the executive, who requested anonymity out of fear of being fired at a time of turmoil at CBS News. But no date had been fixed

www.nytimes.com/2004/09/27/business/media/27rather.html?ei=5006&en=724340c...

Okay, conspiracy time, LMAO!
I was telling my mom, Rather was going to leave and he used his last bit of rep to take a stab at Bush. Mom thinks I'm crazy because why would Rather ruin his reputation after all this time to go down like that. But, come on, one last stab at Bush and possibly affecting an election.
Okay, maybe I'm reaching, LOL! Too many conspiracy theories lately, LOL!! :coffee3:

Bonnie said:
CBS has never disclosed a timetable for replacing Mr Rather, who turns 73 next month and who has been the anchor of the nightly news since March 1981. But in the weeks before Sept. 8. when the Wednesday edition of" 60 minutes" broadcast its report based on documents it now says cannot be authenticated, officials atop the network and it's news division had begun discussing a transition plan, a network executive said last week.

The options under consideraqtion include having Mr Rather step down sometime next srping, perhaps near the end fo the prime-time season in May, giving his replacement the relatively low- profile summer months to find his or her bearings, said the executive, who requested anonymity out of fear of being fired at a time of turmoil at CBS News. But no date had been fixed

www.nytimes.com/2004/09/27/business/media/27rather.html?ei=5006&en=724340c...

Next spring? What's up with that? It's like, "yeah I'm going, but I'm going to take my own damn sweet time about it". "I'm going to make sure you're fully sick and tired of me before I go".

He should be FIRED, and he should be gone NOW!

UsaPride said:
Okay, conspiracy time, LMAO!
I was telling my mom, Rather was going to leave and he used his last bit of rep to take a stab at Bush. Mom thinks I'm crazy because why would Rather ruin his reputation after all this time to go down like that. But, come on, one last stab at Bush and possibly affecting an election.
Okay, maybe I'm reaching, LOL! Too many conspiracy theories lately, LOL!! :coffee3:

No I think you are right on the mark........

Pale Rider said:
It's like, "yeah I'm going, but I'm going to take my own damn sweet time about it". "I'm going to make sure you're fully sick and tired of me before I go".

LOL - It's way too late for that. I got tired of listening to his BS years ago. Haven't watched 60 minutes for at least six years, haven't watched CBS news much for at least the last four years.

But I agree he should be fired. If CBS wants to regain even a little credibility, Rather should be told he had 15 minutes to clear his desk and leave the building. His only option of choice should be - through the door or through the window.

As far as his producer Mapes is concerned, I wouldn't even give her that option. She'd be flapping her arms all the way to the pavement.

Merlin1047 said:
LOL - It's way too late for that. I got tired of listening to his BS years ago. Haven't watched 60 minutes for at least six years, haven't watched CBS news much for at least the last four years.

But I agree he should be fired. If CBS wants to regain even a little credibility, Rather should be told he had 15 minutes to clear his desk and leave the building. His only option of choice should be - through the door or through the window.

As far as his producer Mapes is concerned, I wouldn't even give her that option. She'd be flapping her arms all the way to the pavement.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Forum List

Back