Dan how is your writing going?

Feb 15, 2004
Have you finished anything? Sent anything out?

Q: When you finish something do you copyright it or hope and pray no one copies it? I realize it would be automatically copyrighted once published but what about before? I am currently writing the great American novel. I just have to pass the first sentence.

It's going okay, i'm surprised anyone's still interested! :D

I have started hanging around more writers/artistic types which I've found helps a lot, sometimes I feel silly talking about "themes" or otherwise deep stuff with the average person, but other writers get it, so there's lots of support there.

At the moment, I'm working on the third draft of the screenplay I've been working on forever (literally almost five years now). I've let a few people read it, and they seemed to like it, so that was encouraging.

Other than that, I've found that most of the stuff I'm writing now is becoming too autobiographical, and I'm trying to move away from that. And I also have an idea for a novel that I've been sitting on for a while. My problem is, I don't know how to start it, and I'm just using that as an excuse to not get going with it, y'know?

Recently, a few things have really inspired me back into wanting to write more. I've had a few personal things happen in my life that were pretty bad, which for some reason always makes me want to write (which is why all my writing is so depressing, I guess). Also, the finale of Six Feet Under really inspired me to want to get something done now because I may not have another chance, so I'm really trying to get back on the ball. I'll try and go through some of my newer stuff and see if I can find anything worth posting. Thanks for showing interest! Do you have any stuff you can post? Or, if you don't want too many people to see it, you can e-mail it to me.

Q: When you finish something do you copyright it or hope and pray no one copies it? I realize it would be automatically copyrighted once published but what about before? I am currently writing the great American novel. I just have to pass the first sentence.

I know that feeling! You just feel like you want everything to be perfect before you move on, right?

As far as copyrighting, I have never officially copyrighted anything. As far as stuff I've posted on here, it's mostly been stuff I've had no real intention of ever getting published, and plus back when I used to post a lot of stories, the board was a lot smaller, and I "knew" most everyone on the board, and yeah, I sort of assumed nobody would steal any of it, plus I feel a little egotistical to think anyone would want to steal any of my silly stories.

Thanks again for showing some interest, I'll hopefully have something for you to read sometime soon!

Dan said:
It's going okay, i'm surprised anyone's still interested! :D

I have started hanging around more writers/artistic types which I've found helps a lot, sometimes I feel silly talking about "themes" or otherwise deep stuff with the average person, but other writers get it, so there's lots of support there.

At the moment, I'm working on the third draft of the screenplay I've been working on forever (literally almost five years now). I've let a few people read it, and they seemed to like it, so that was encouraging.

Other than that, I've found that most of the stuff I'm writing now is becoming too autobiographical, and I'm trying to move away from that. And I also have an idea for a novel that I've been sitting on for a while. My problem is, I don't know how to start it, and I'm just using that as an excuse to not get going with it, y'know?

Recently, a few things have really inspired me back into wanting to write more. I've had a few personal things happen in my life that were pretty bad, which for some reason always makes me want to write (which is why all my writing is so depressing, I guess). Also, the finale of Six Feet Under really inspired me to want to get something done now because I may not have another chance, so I'm really trying to get back on the ball. I'll try and go through some of my newer stuff and see if I can find anything worth posting. Thanks for showing interest! Do you have any stuff you can post? Or, if you don't want too many people to see it, you can e-mail it to me.

I know that feeling! You just feel like you want everything to be perfect before you move on, right?

As far as copyrighting, I have never officially copyrighted anything. As far as stuff I've posted on here, it's mostly been stuff I've had no real intention of ever getting published, and plus back when I used to post a lot of stories, the board was a lot smaller, and I "knew" most everyone on the board, and yeah, I sort of assumed nobody would steal any of it, plus I feel a little egotistical to think anyone would want to steal any of my silly stories.

Thanks again for showing some interest, I'll hopefully have something for you to read sometime soon!

I've read and critiqued some of Dan's writings, they are great and I think it a good thing that some do pay attention.

Dan, write. Then write some more. :teeth:

Good for you dan, keep on keeping on. I read like 20 books on dramatic structure, screenwriting, playwriting all of it. I love all of it, but I haven't written shit! Well I made some notes on a sitcom called "Tastebuds" about friends out of college who get a cooking show. The title is a bad pun, it just might fly!

I write best when things are emotional. I guess its when you have the most expression and can be creative. If things go well you are too caught up in all the finery.
I started writing again and hope to stick with it. I was watching a/e bio with JK Rowling - Harry Potter and it inspired me.
What is wrong with incorporating autobiographical with fictional? I find a lot of my writing will come from my own life however I would still classify it as fiction.

I want to write a play called "My communist Family" about dealing with my insane communist family over the past couple years, and all the mean shit they said to me to defend their blackhearted envy. It would devastate them, however. I would probably be disowned.

I would say go fot it reguarding the comy story. I don't know any.
That would probibly be a best seller and you would rake in the $$ at the same time - that would mean this:

Family mad at you and decide to disown you.
Family realizes $$$$ has been made (at their expense)
Family invites you back into the family.
Family uses their portion of the $$$ that they talked you into giving them and
Family furthers their cause.

I totally hear you guys on being motivated by pain. I can churn terse scathing, nihilism, when Im in a down mood, but it does seem to have a high school feel about it! lol

rtwngAvngr said:
I totally hear you guys on being motivated by pain. I can churn terse scathing, nihilism, when Im in a down mood, but it does seem to have a high school feel about it! lol

Mucho caffine helps too!

Said1 said:
Mucho caffine helps too!

Yes.

"The snakes of doom encoil my heart

hissing their hurtful incantantations

while the bugs under my skin meditate in stoic collectivism

Who put acid in my coffee?"

Forum List

Back