Dan and Others Help Me

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I'm planning lessons for next year, creative writing. 7th Graders.

Topics they might relate to. Nothing perverse. :p:

First lesson: In detail, explain in narrative form, how to best eat an Oreo cookie. Make sure you explain exactly what you need in what order. Humor counts!

How about open ended topics?

1. What would you do if you found out your dog could talk? How would you treat the dog? What would your life be like?

Stuff of that nature?

Originally posted by NewGuy
How about open ended topics?

1. What would you do if you found out your dog could talk? How would you treat the dog? What would your life be like?

Stuff of that nature?

That's good, real good.

They really liked something along that line last year. One morning you wake up, stumble to the bathroom, go to brush your teeth, look in the mirror and see.....(not yourself).....

I am just playing off the active imagination and combining it with their desire to figure out the world.

Applying a writing assignment in terms of an instructional or something like that would tend to decrease desire to learn to write and express one's self I would think.

My experience that interest creates genius would apply here so that if you continuously gave open ended creative writing assignments forcing them to WANT to write, you will have 10th grade writers by the end of the year.

:D

Of course, I may be waaaayyyy off. -But I don't think so.
;)

7th grad would make them 12 or so correct?

Why not give them an assignment that would challenge thier vision of service and commitment? Somthing along the lines of "if you were president today, what would you do to end ______ .

Where _____ equals something that is in need in your community - graffitti, homelessness (sp), litter etc. You cold come up with the topics and have them choose one or let them run wild witht what their vision is

Hmmm, I can come up with some good ones, after I look through some of my old notes.

One really fun one is to do a story where one student writes a sentence, the next student does another one, etc. You come out with some crazy results sometimes.

Another one is to bring in some random objects, and have the students pick one and write a story that incorporates the object.

Anyway, I'll check some old notes and get back to you on this!

Originally posted by HGROKIT
7th grad would make them 12 or so correct?

Why not give them an assignment that would challenge thier vision of service and commitment? Somthing along the lines of "if you were president today, what would you do to end ______ .

Where _____ equals something that is in need in your community - graffitti, homelessness (sp), litter etc. You cold come up with the topics and have them choose one or let them run wild witht what their vision is

Ummm, because I'm their History and religion teacher too! Believe me, they have to write then. This is for fun, imagination, and let them explore with different styles and form.

Originally posted by Dan
Hmmm, I can come up with some good ones, after I look through some of my old notes.

One really fun one is to do a story where one student writes a sentence, the next student does another one, etc. You come out with some crazy results sometimes.

Another one is to bring in some random objects, and have the students pick one and write a story that incorporates the object.

Anyway, I'll check some old notes and get back to you on this!

Thanks, that's why I gave you top billing. :p: Sounds just what I'm looking for.

I'd focus them on this question: How do you make a person feel something? a specific emotion perhaps?

How can you create an experience?

What makes a tv show good? Why?

What makes a movie good? Why?

and lastly "Prove it!"

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I'd focus them on this question: How do you make a person feel something? a specific emotion perhaps?

How can you create an experience?

What makes a tv show good? Why?

What makes a movie good? Why?

and lastly "Prove it!"

Ok, go along with the last in particular. Sharpen that logic, but it's gotta be fun! Think the above qualify.

~smack me~ Thank you. (edited in)

:clap1: I hadn't thought of that! Great idea. They love music and can elaborate on. Thanks John!

how about... imagine not being blessed to live in america....

challenge them to explore what their lives could have been up to this point if, say they'd grown up in india, zambia, chile, estonia, etc etc. it could be funny, you know how kids and geography get confused quite often. or it could be very creative.

another one...

describe the ways you would enjoy recreation, playing with friends, exploring, if you lived in the distant past or distant future

Originally posted by NATO AIR

challenge them to explore what their lives could have been up to this point if, say they'd grown up in india, zambia, chile, estonia, etc etc. it could be funny, you know how kids and geography get confused quite often. or it could be very creative.

another one...

describe the ways you would enjoy recreation, playing with friends, exploring, if you lived in the distant past or distant future

I can see where these might work. Thanks.

Originally posted by NATO AIR

another one...

I actually had to do something similar when I was in school. I think it was a great assignment. We all were assigned various countries and had to explore what it would be like to grow up there. It was a very interesting assignment, one that I havent forgotton to this day. Mine was Nicaragua. :D

I toss my vote in for this one Kathianne... I'm 32 and I still remember that assignment from grade school.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Maybe have them describe their perfect day with a hero of theirs: a professional athlete, movie star, musician, etc.

That would be cool Jeff, I like that. Caveat would be someone who'd done something good for others, otherwise I'll get all athletes and rock stars! Great idea!

Forum List

Back