Damned slow ass Hybrids

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Porsche shows off 918 Spyder Prototype

Altogether, the gas-electric drivetrain should be good for a 3.1-second 0-60 sprint and a top speed of 199 mph. Perhaps even more impressive is the news that the 918 will be able to propel itself with electric power at speeds of up to 94 mph. That little fact helps account for the news that the vehicle should be able to return around 78 miles per gallon on the EU cycle. Scroll down for the brief press release, but not before checking out the high-res gallery.

Show full PR text

Well, that Porche is a V-8. And if they can do that with a 240 Cu. In. V-8, how long will it take before someone makes something similiar, may a second slower with a top end of only 160, for the price of a 'Vette?

When the crappy batteries dim out and the motors fire up it seems that the greenie machinies use as much gas as any other vehicle.

Well let's see. 3.1 0 to 60. About 200 mph top end. And mileage of 70+ miles per gallon in normal driving. Kind of like having ones cake and eating it, too.

Porsche shows off 918 Spyder Prototype

Altogether, the gas-electric drivetrain should be good for a 3.1-second 0-60 sprint and a top speed of 199 mph. Perhaps even more impressive is the news that the 918 will be able to propel itself with electric power at speeds of up to 94 mph. That little fact helps account for the news that the vehicle should be able to return around 78 miles per gallon on the EU cycle. Scroll down for the brief press release, but not before checking out the high-res gallery.

Show full PR text

For that much money you can have a Lambo, a Ferrari and a McLaren. You really think this is a good idea olfraud? Really? I'll take the McLaren and a real niceTDI for running around town and i will have enough left over to buy a nice house. How's that for efficiency.

Because it doesn't have enough battery to run the car for 40 miles or better. And is not a plug in.

We both have agreed as to the merits of diesel engines. Wouldn't a transition to all- diesel transportation be more expedient and economical? And I would say that next on the list would be natural gas vehicles.

This issue of hybrids, all electric vehicles, or the production of energies from alternative and/or renewable sources isn't about expedience or economics or efficiencies- it's about petrophobia. Or hydrocarbophobia.

Carter started this nation- and the world for that matter- on a course not steeped in energy economics, but steeped in fear, loathing, and disdain for all things hydrocarbon. It was and always will be a notion of lies, half truths, propaganda, and Liberal hyperbole.

Awesome. The market is huge for this.....Everyone I know can afford an $845,000 car. Maybe Obama will promise a new one to each and every person who votes for him?

Because it doesn't have enough battery to run the car for 40 miles or better. And is not a plug in.

We both have agreed as to the merits of diesel engines. Wouldn't a transition to all- diesel transportation be more expedient and economical? And I would say that next on the list would be natural gas vehicles.

This issue of hybrids, all electric vehicles, or the production of energies from alternative and/or renewable sources isn't about expedience or economics or efficiencies- it's about petrophobia. Or hydrocarbophobia.

Carter started this nation- and the world for that matter- on a course not steeped in energy economics, but steeped in fear, loathing, and disdain for all things hydrocarbon. It was and always will be a notion of lies, half truths, propaganda, and Liberal hyperbole.

First, a constant rpm diesel combined with a large battery pack would be the ideal for a really efficient hybrid that has more than adaquete power.

Second, the cost of hydrocarbons is going to continue to go up, even as the cost at the citizens level of creating one's own electricity is going to go down. Simple economics says that most of us will be driving EVs and hybrids in my lifetime.

Forum List

Back