Damned Liberal Courts

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by SFC Ollie, Mar 11, 2010.

1. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Last August my father was pinned behind a door then knocked down by a worker at his assisted living home. When he fell he broke his hip. 3 weeks later he died of complications.

On 18 Dec 09 we finally got the coroners report, "Homicide, due to blunt trauma injuries caused by another".

Today, 11 March 2010, the Grand Jury finally indited this worker for "Abuse of a Patient" a 4th class felony.

Where did the homicide charge go to? This trash will probably end up with a slap on the wrist and still work in another home somewhere.

2. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    what, pray tell, does a grand jury indictment have to do with "liberal courts"? The courts have nothing to do with grand juries. district attorneys do.

3. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Not a lawyer or even pretend to understand the entire system but if a grand jury isn't part of the courts then I'm really lost. But then can you understand my, (and my families) frustration?

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Grand juries are made up of avg citizens just like for regular juries.

Sorry about your Dad

But with one of those trial lawyers at your side you should be set up for a good civil suit settlement against the nursing home.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    That's not 'liberal courts' that's the grand jury.... I'm guessing that whatever piece of evidence was needed just wasn't there.

Sometimes there's a difference between what you know happened and what you can prove happened.

sorry about your father.

6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I can understand your frustration. WHat political party is the district attorney, by the way? Be mad at him... HE sought the indictment....HE put witnesses before the grand jury. the court will be where the trial occurs on the charges that the grand jury brought forth.

And of course I can understand your frustration... I merely think it is misplaced, and, as a conservative, you are way too quick to blame liberals for something that a jury full of your PEERS decided.

7. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    We actually started talks with a lawyer about that, when we realized we were all against frivolous lawsuits. The home didn't cause it, an individual did. Though my younger sister may decide to sue on her own, she's like that.

8. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    This county is 100% Democrat controlled, has been for 30 years. The prosecutor has refused for the past 3 months to answer or return any of our phone calls. I was acting as the family spokesman with the detective and prosecutors office, I kept the other 6 from calling and pestering them so they could do their job. Tomorrow I will be calling the Chief Prosecutors office and pitching a bitch. They had enough to go with more than mistreating a patient. I'm not so sure I should even get into too much of the details. But there is little doubt they had more.

9. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I hardly think that seeking redress for the wrongful death of your parent at the hands of an employee of a nursing home can be considered "frivolous". If nursing homes are not held accountable for the actions of their employees, who KNOWS what sort of abuse and malfeasance will result?

Did someone force the nursing home to hire the individual, or did they make the determination that he or she was qualified to provide services to your father? Was that an appropriate determination? I think not.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I would demand an explanation. I would write letters to the editor and I would hound the media to not let the issue die.... AND, I would definitely sue the nursing home.