Damn it!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
The ground hog saw his shadow...6 more weeks of winter, which would mean 10 more weeks for us up here!

:(

We have buds making on the trees so I think spring is close here. Sixty-five miles north snow filled ditches still.

Six more weeks?

Hah! Don't make me laugh.

Maybe in the tropical climes of Pennsylvania, Care.

Twelve weeks more winter for us, more like

Then?

Eight weeks of Mud Season.

Followed up by four weeks of something vaguely resembling summer, generaly lasting for a few days in July.

You know what crocuses are?

You know how they often bloom through the Spring snows of early April in most places in New England?

I planted them on the north side of my home about ten years ago

You know when they finally bloomed?

July. I am seriously not kidding.

They they looked around, realized that they were in the wrong place, and died never to rebloom again.

Searsport's topography makes it subject to Southern winds coming straight over the Penobscot bay and off the ocean.

Hence, in Spring, when most places are getting those first warm Southern breezes -- those joyous hargingers of Summer to come -- we're getting that Southern breeze, too.

Only our Southern breezes are coming directly off the ocean...the still fridgid from winter ocean, first.

I swear to God, between the Southern Breezes off that ocean, and the fact that my yard is slightly elevated over a pond, thus giving that yard an unobstructed horizon to the North for a mile or so, my back yard has a micro-climate aproximating the latitude of Irkutz.

We have buds making on the trees so I think spring is close here. Sixty-five miles north snow filled ditches still.

We don't get buds here till late April to mid may on most trees (as example: My apple and wild plum trees blossom in April/May), by memorial day we will have leaves on most trees...it happens quickly, once it starts to happen

We definitely fall in line with April showers bring May flowers though....(although it is not rain that brings the water for flowers, it is snow melt)

many flowers are in bloom in May up here, especially wild flowers like the daisies and lupines of all varieties....on the hillsides or slopes or fields...

lupines picture - Google Search

We don't get buds here till late April to mid may on most trees (as example: My apple and wild plum trees blossom in April/May), by memorial day we will have leaves on most trees...it happens quickly, once it starts to happen

We definitely fall in line with April showers bring May flowers though....(although it is not rain that brings the water for flowers, it is snow melt)

many flowers are in bloom in May up here, especially wild flowers like the daisies and lupines of all varieties....on the hillsides or slopes or fields...

lupines picture - Google Search
Normally I do not see the buds like are on the trees now here until about the third week of February or later.

I noticed yesterday our wild daisies have started putting out green leaves under the dead grass in the field.

Six more weeks?

Hah! Don't make me laugh.

Maybe in the tropical climes of Pennsylvania, Care.

Twelve weeks more winter for us, more like

Then?

Eight weeks of Mud Season.

Followed up by four weeks of something vaguely resembling summer, generaly lasting for a few days in July.

You know what crocuses are?

You know how they often bloom through the Spring snows of early April in most places in New England?

I planted them on the north side of my home about ten years ago

You know when they finally bloomed?

July. I am seriously not kidding.

They they looked around, realized that they were in the wrong place, and died never to rebloom again.

Searsport's topography makes it subject to Southern winds coming straight over the Penobscot bay and off the ocean.

Hence, in Spring, when most places are getting those first warm Southern breezes -- those joyous hargingers of Summer to come -- we're getting that Southern breeze, too.

Only our Southern breezes are coming directly off the ocean...the still fridgid from winter ocean, first.

I swear to God, between the Southern Breezes off that ocean, and the fact that my yard is slightly elevated over a pond, thus giving that yard an unobstructed horizon to the North for a mile or so, my back yard has a micro-climate aproximating the latitude of Irkutz.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! oh boy oh boy!!!!! lol

I was saying it would be 10 more weeks for us, i hope it is not 12 weeks, though we did get snow last year the first week in April, so you could be right...

You ain't that far from me in Searsport Ed, just on the otherside of penobscot bay....maybe that is why it is a bit colder for you....

I don't remember mud season lasting 8 weeks? I thought it was about 4 weeks, if that...in fact, i was pretty happy that it wasn't as bad as locals had made it out to be last spring and you knowwwww we had a TON of snow last winter that melted...

I guess I am lucky, the neighbors that own the 125 acres and 200 acres around me, always regrade my dirt road, very early spring so it is not muddy and solid as a rock....if i could only get them to do my driveway for free too!!!!

The Black flies, that bite and i am allergic to is my one biggest concern...but "Deet-ifying" myself, helps.

i don't have crocuses here, i bought the bulbs, haven't gotten around to planting them....but in massachusetts, i had them on the north side of my house, (the front) and they came out in march, yellow, purple and white, peeping out of the snow, each and every year...then came the forsythia yellow flowering bushes, then the tulips, then the daffodils, then the hostas, then the azalea bushes flower, then the bearded Iris, then the Bleeding heart, then the lilies.....i had it all downpat with a ton of perennials, supplementing with annuals...like pansies.

This place is a jungle here....i have gotten tulips and lilies and hosta and azaleas (which have not flowered :( ), planted and some boxwood....but it is still as bare as bare can be...my only grace is that the wind brings the seeds of wildflowers to the garden which i know i will end up hating that once i get the flower gardens done.....like daisies pop up all over the place in my gardens and this other yellow flower?....even in the middle of my grass....same with marigolds...and of course the ever dreaded dandy lions....we just don't use chemicals to kill them here because our lot has a pond and the wildlife relies on it, so our front yard, is a sea of yellow flowers early spring, and clover...until the bunny rabbits come out and start feasting on it.

oh, just found a pic....the apple and wild Plum bloom is mid may, not early may or april....damn, i got a LONG WAIT!

APPLE
DSCF0689.jpg

PLUM
DSCF0701.jpg

I put zero faith in the ground hog anyway.

This is Wisconsin. Two years ago my uncle mowed his lawn in December. Last winter and this winter it's been cold and snow starting in November, and I see no change in that in the 'near' future. So the weather is going to be what it's going to be regardless of whether or not the fat rodent sees his shadow.

Screw the ground hog... :neutral:

Last edited:

This is Wisconsin. Two years ago my uncle mowed his lawn in December. Last winter and this winter it's been cold and snow starting in November, and I see no change in that in the 'near' future. So the weather is going to be what it's going to be regardless of whether or not the fat rodent sees his shadow.

I think he's cute....i got one here, that i see every once in a while....he lives in a cave, under one of my big ass pine trees....at least i think it is a ground hog, though he isn't as fat as PHIL.

I think he's cute....i got one here, that i see every once in a while....he lives in a cave, under one of my big ass pine trees....at least i think it is a ground hog, though he isn't as fat as PHIL.

Got a good friend that lives up on the ridge south of town here, and he hasn't been feeling well so I went up to visit and help him split some fire wood. On the way out his drive way I almost hit an Opossum. Dumb thing sauntering along right in the middle of the road, that goes right through the middle of a corn field. I dodged him though. I do NOT like to run over critters.

Last edited:
we have a resident porcupine that loves to eat apples....

DSCF0913.jpg

and here is what the Cherry tree blossom looks like up here....it is either a Choke Cherry or a Black Cherry

DSCF1796.jpg

DSCF1789.jpg

they stick out like cones of flowers, really pretty....you can see how busy Mr. Resident Beaver has been in the background.

DSCF2903.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
"What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!" — Famous quote from Groundhog Day

Cute Porci Care. We used to have one that liked to nap in the apricot tree in the lot next to our house in Idaho.

The Lupines are beautiful. I have not been able to keep them growing here in my outer wild flowers gardens where we are here in Iowa. We had a lot of gumbo and it took a few years to figure out how to condition the nasty stuff to grow roses even. I hauled some dirt up from near the creek into the immediate yard area that helped. I'm more into if I plant it and it comes back the next year it's good. If it doesn't it is not worth trying the same type plant again here. We have a lot of wild Tiger Lilies, Purple Cone flowers, Yellow Cone Flowers, Wild Daisies, ( a small bed of Shastas that the grasshoppers have not fully ate yet), Balck Eyed Susan's, Sensitive Plants that reseed themselves every year, Trumpet Vine, lots of Wild Iris's I have collected along side the dirt roads over the years, some really pretty wild Yellow Orchids that started on their own near the well (I have no clue how they got there as they weren't there when we bought the place and I did not plant them there), Iron Plant (it makes a really pretty purple flower, Wild Asters, and other assorted wild flowers. About an acre of flowers all total I have worked at getting weeded over the years here near the house.

There is a spot I had some tree trimmers dump there stuff at about five years ago and it now sports about a 1/4 of an acre of wild Daisies near one of the ditches out North of the shop. I had to get kinda tacky with Rod and the guy he lets mow the hay over them. (Don't dare run over my wild Daisies or else!)

We have some wild flowers I rescued as we were dozing at the mine site but I can't tell you what they all are. I'll snap some pictures of them this Spring when they bloom.

We have a lot of wild elderberries growing here too. I'm thinking wine this fall.

Forum List

Back