Dallas Releases T.O.

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
Fox Sports radio is reporting the Dallas Cowboys have release Terrell Owens.

It's a shame they are sticking with their choke artist QB ...

I think the Jets might be interested. If the Jets can survive Keyshawn Johnson, they can survive anybody.

I pooh-pooh'd it for a couple of years while folks at the Cowboys message board kept saying Owens is nothing but a cancer. But he is. Like a cancer, the symptoms aren't usually readily apparent at the onset, it takes some time to debilitate the patient.

Last season the cancer was very evident even to those who tried to deny its existence. Once again, Bill Parcells is proven correct.

Kudos to Jerry, for cutting this malignant tumor out of the body.

Now if he'll start carving out the other cancer, safety Roy Williams, the patient can resume an active lifestyle again.

Last edited:
I pooh-pooh'd it for a couple of years while folks at the Cowboys message board kept saying Owens is nothing but a cancer. But he is. Like a cancer, the symptoms aren't usually readily apparent at the onset, it takes some time to debilitate the patient.

Last season the cancer was very evident even to those who tried to deny its existence. Once again, Bill Parcells is proven correct.

Now if he'll start carving out the other cancer, safety Roy Williams, the patient can resume an active lifestyle again.
Scratch that last about Williams, that surgery was done today as well:

Safety Measure

Here's the official team statement:
Dallas Cowboys said:
The Dallas Cowboys announced the release of veteran safety Roy Williams today. Williams, who was the team’s firs- round draft choice out of Oklahoma in 2002, earned five Pro Bowl selections in his seven seasons with the Cowboys. From 2002 to 2007, he started 92 consecutive games for Dallas. He currently has 611 career tackles, 10 forced fumbles and 19 interceptions. Williams missed most of the 2008 season with a broken arm.

“Roy has been a wonderful representative of this organization since coming to Dallas,” said Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones. “Unfortunately we have reached a crossroad with his time here in Dallas and the difficult decision was made to allow him to explore other opportunities in the NFL.”

The Cowboys also announced the release of wide receiver Terrell Owens today. A 13-year NFL veteran, Owens spent the last three seasons with the Cowboys where he caught 235 passes for 3,587 yards and 38 touchdowns. In 2008, he had 69 receptions for 1,052 yards and 10 touchdowns. A six-time Pro Bowl selection, Owens is currently ranked sixth in NFL history in receptions with 951. His 139 career touchdown receptions are second in NFL history to Jerry Rice’s 197.

“Terrell Owens was a very productive player who performed at a very high level for all three of his years here in Dallas,” said Jones. “But we have made a decision to move forward without him.

“In the aftermath of the season, we talked about change. Some of what is changing involves the process and some of it involves people. This is a decision that was made based upon consideration for an entire team. We will move on now with a new team – a new attitude – and into a new stadium. The evaluation process and the prospect for change will continue at every level of the organization.”
Change we can believe in?

Yeah, as soon as they get a real quarterback.

Here's the official team statement:
Dallas Cowboys said:
The Dallas Cowboys announced the release of veteran safety Roy Williams today. Williams, who was the team’s firs- round draft choice out of Oklahoma in 2002, earned five Pro Bowl selections in his seven seasons with the Cowboys. From 2002 to 2007, he started 92 consecutive games for Dallas. He currently has 611 career tackles, 10 forced fumbles and 19 interceptions. Williams missed most of the 2008 season with a broken arm.

“Roy has been a wonderful representative of this organization since coming to Dallas,” said Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones. “Unfortunately we have reached a crossroad with his time here in Dallas and the difficult decision was made to allow him to explore other opportunities in the NFL.”

The Cowboys also announced the release of wide receiver Terrell Owens today. A 13-year NFL veteran, Owens spent the last three seasons with the Cowboys where he caught 235 passes for 3,587 yards and 38 touchdowns. In 2008, he had 69 receptions for 1,052 yards and 10 touchdowns. A six-time Pro Bowl selection, Owens is currently ranked sixth in NFL history in receptions with 951. His 139 career touchdown receptions are second in NFL history to Jerry Rice’s 197.

“Terrell Owens was a very productive player who performed at a very high level for all three of his years here in Dallas,” said Jones. “But we have made a decision to move forward without him.

“In the aftermath of the season, we talked about change. Some of what is changing involves the process and some of it involves people. This is a decision that was made based upon consideration for an entire team. We will move on now with a new team – a new attitude – and into a new stadium. The evaluation process and the prospect for change will continue at every level of the organization.”
Change we can believe in?

Can't imagine how Williams got 19 interceptions. He was lousy at pass coverage. Most big pass plays I've seen against them were Williams blowing coverage hotdogging off somewhere else.

I think the Jets might be interested. If the Jets can survive Keyshawn Johnson, they can survive anybody.

Survive?

I suppose if by survive you mean the franchise wasn't disbanded, then yeah, the Jets survived.

But I wouldn't exactly call the Jets the epitome of NFL success.

:lol:

I still think Jerry Jones is a dipshit for firing Jimmy Johnson after he won two straight super bowls. They could have won four or five. I can't decide who is the bigger cancer: Jones or Owens. Some team will pick him up. Hell, Detroit has nothing to lose.

I still think Jerry Jones is a dipshit for firing Jimmy Johnson after he won two straight super bowls. They could have won four or five. I can't decide who is the bigger cancer: Jones or Owens. Some team will pick him up. Hell, Detroit has nothing to lose.
Technically Johnson wasn't fired. You should read Jimmy's book to get the real scoop. Classless backwoods buffoon Jones did fire Landry though, in a totally tasteless and classless backwoods buffoonery manner.

Jerry's matured alot since those days, but he's still a buffoon.

Technically Johnson wasn't fired. You should read Jimmy's book to get the real scoop. Classless backwoods buffoon Jones did fire Landry though, in a totally tasteless and classless backwoods buffoonery manner.

Techinically you are correct. I think it was more he invited him to leave or accepted his resignation. I will check that book out at some point, tho.

Techinically you are correct. I think it was more he invited him to leave or accepted his resignation. I will check that book out at some point, tho.
They mutually agreed the situation was untenable. Jones paid him the rest of his contract, $2.5 million. Had either stopped to consider, with a cooler head, what they were actually doing I don't think this would have happened. But, we were dealing with two brash egocentrics at the time.

The book is "Turning the thing around" and it's on Amazon.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back