Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside

Okay, update on this story:

The officer's name is Amber Guyger, she has just been arrested and charged with manslaughter, she does happen to be white. Also, oddly enough, this is the second time in the four years she's been a police officer that she's shot someone. And the previous target was apparently Hispanic. Now I'm starting to wonder if she's got some issues, be it racism or being trigger-happy or both.
Its going to a grand jury which signals to me there is going to be a cover up and she is going to get off.

Little more update:

Dallas Mayor Rawlings made a statement to reporters that Guyger was able to enter the apartment because the door was open. But a reporter for Fox 4 Dallas says the police told him that she was on the wrong floor of the apartment building (apparently, she'd only lived there a month or so), that her key didn't work in the lock, and the victim was shot when he answered the door.

Also, she somehow didn't notice the apartment number OR the fact that Jean's door had a bright red floormat in front of it, which hers does not. So it's not even a matter of noticing it's not your furniture when you get inside; how do you not notice that "your" apartment has miraculously sprouting decor OUTSIDE THE DOOR?

Really looking forward to this investigation progressing enough to provide some sort of coherent explanation and timeline.

Little more update:

Dallas Mayor Rawlings made a statement to reporters that Guyger was able to enter the apartment because the door was open. But a reporter for Fox 4 Dallas says the police told him that she was on the wrong floor of the apartment building (apparently, she'd only lived there a month or so), that her key didn't work in the lock, and the victim was shot when he answered the door.

Also, she somehow didn't notice the apartment number OR the fact that Jean's door had a bright red floormat in front of it, which hers does not. So it's not even a matter of noticing it's not your furniture when you get inside; how do you not notice that "your" apartment has miraculously sprouting decor OUTSIDE THE DOOR?

Really looking forward to this investigation progressing enough to provide some sort of coherent explanation and timeline.
Sounds like the "tragic accident" narrative is going to be employed to protect this cop.

The officer's name is Amber Guyger, she has just been arrested and charged with manslaughter, she does happen to be white. Also, oddly enough, this is the second time in the four years she's been a police officer that she's shot someone. And the previous target was apparently Hispanic. Now I'm starting to wonder if she's got some issues, be it racism or being trigger-happy or both.
Its going to a grand jury which signals to me there is going to be a cover up and she is going to get off.

Huh? Grand juries are fairly common in murder and manslaughter cases

Now the lying white bitch is saying the door was ajar'd, that's why she entered the apartment mistakenly????? Lets just say, you made a mistake and thought the crib was yours....here's the deal, bitch...you killed a man by mistake and your gonna pay the price for it...ya dig?
Wanna know why the black community lacks so many decent good black men?

BECAUSE THE GOTDMAN COPS KEEP KILLING THEM. I'VE YET TO SEE THE COWARDLY BASTARD KILL OFF THE THUG NIGGA'S, THEY ALL SEEM TO SURVIVE!!!!!

Grand jurys in Texas are secret. The DA should be able to bring an indictment without a grand jury. Traditionally they have been used to absolve the DA from having to indict if he/she doesnt want to.

Grand jurys in Texas are secret. The DA should be able to bring an indictment without a grand jury. Traditionally they have been used to absolve the DA from having to indict if he/she doesnt want to.

Grand Juries everywhere are secret.

And on an officer involved shooting that results in criminal charges? Grand juries are standard.

In the end it will be determined that the victim did this to himself (sorry, sir, you shoulda had your door locked) and we'll all be glad to know that the officer made it home safely. Hero!

And on an officer involved shooting that results in criminal charges? Grand juries are standard.

I dont think they are secret everywhere. I know for sure they arent in CA.

The one in Ferguson was a good example. The DA just gave them some evidence with no arguments and didnt press for a indictment.

The one in Ferguson was a good example. The DA just gave them some evidence with no arguments and didnt press for a indictment.

They are held in secret even in California:

Second, unlike criminal court proceedings, grand jury proceedings are closed to the public and are held in secret.

Grand Jury Proceedings in California

And they're secret pretty much everywhere. If there's an area where it isn't secret, its most definitely an exception.

Second, unlike criminal court proceedings, grand jury proceedings are closed to the public and are held in secret.

And they're secret pretty much everywhere. If there's an area where it isn't secret, its most definitely an exception.
That must be an old link.

Bill Text - SB-227 Grand juries: powers and duties.

"California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed into law a bill that will ban the use of secret grand juries in cases where a police officer is involved in a shooting or is accused of excessive force that leads to a person’s death."

There is zero need for a grand jury except for places in Texas where they are required.

In the end it will be determined that the victim did this to himself (sorry, you shoulda had your door locked) and we'll all be glad to know that the officer made it home safely.

I don't think so.
The stalling tactics so far makes me agree with Naturalcitizen.

Stalling? This happened what? 3 or 4 days ago?

And she's already been charged with manslaughter.

Manslaughter Charge For Dallas Police Officer Who Killed A Man In His Own Apartment

None of your 'tells' are actually tells. Grand juries are secret everywhere, negating the indication of a 'cover up'. And 3 or 4 days charges in an officer involved shooting is light speed. Especially when a grand jury had to be convened.

As they generally don't work on weekends.

In the end it will be determined that the victim did this to himself (sorry, you shoulda had your door locked) and we'll all be glad to know that the officer made it home safely.

I don't think so.

Manslaughter Charge For Dallas Police Officer Who Killed A Man In His Own Apartment

None of your 'tells' are actually tells. Grand juries are secret everywhere, negating the indication of a 'cover up'. And 3 or 4 days charges in an officer involved shooting is light speed. Especially when a grand jury had to be convened.

Charged not indicted. Big difference. She should have been immediately charged with manslaughter when it was found out she went into the wrong apartment. You can be charged with something and 10 minutes later the charges can be dropped. No grand jurys in CA are not secret.

Edit

My bad. Actually the link I have is old. The law was overturned.

"California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed into law a bill that will ban the use of secret grand juries in cases where a police officer is involved in a shooting or is accused of excessive force that leads to a person’s death."

There is zero need for a grand jury except for places in Texas where they are required.

Ah, so they changed the law just a couple of years ago and only involving officer involved shootings. That is one very specific exception of grand jury secrecy that was *just* carved out by California.

I don't see how the use of a grand jury indicates a cover up.

Ah, so they changed the law just a couple of years ago and only involving officer involved shootings. That is one very specific exception of grand jury secrecy that was *just* carved out by California.

I don't see how the use of a grand jury indicates a cover up.
Since grand juries are secret they dont have to release a transcript unless there is a law saying they have to. .

I don't think so.

Charged not indicted. Big difference.

By indictment you mean formally arraigned? An indictment is just a formal charge. The arrest warrant for her arrest is issued. She's been taken in. She's probably going be put in front of a judge in the next day or two.

You keep drawing these 'big distinctions' that really aren't. Where you indicate that a grand jury being secret is evidence of a cover up (virtually all grand juries are secret). Where her being charged on the first day a grand jury could be convened is indication of a cover up (that's about as fast as you could expect it) or that she was charged but not 'indicted'

She should have been immediately charged with manslaughter when it was found out she went into the wrong apartment. You can be charged with something and 10 minutes later the charges can be dropped. No grand jurys in CA are not secret.

Yes, grand juries in CA are secret....with two exception: officer involved shootings or officer involved excessive violence. Read your own quote:

The bill doesn't make ALL grand jury proceedings public. It merely bans the use of secret grand juries for two very specific instances. Grand jury proceedings are still secret in every other instance. Even in California.

And this was a change that California JUST made, like 2 years ago. The use of a grand jury simply doesn't indicate a cover up.

Forum List

Back