Dalai Lama Accuses China of "Rule of Terror" And "Cultural Genocide."

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
While living in China, I learned about the lies printed in Chinese school books. Occasionally, I would ask my Chinese friends, "What about Tibet?" And they would respond, "Tibet has always been part of China." And these were highly educated Chinese, people I met at Fudan University in Shanghai. Most Chinese are unaware that Mao and the PLA stole Tibet in 1950, while the victors of WW2 stood by and did nothing except ineffectually complain. If the average Chinese is even aware that Tibetan independence is an issue, it is only because they heard it from foreigners, or read snippets that slipped through the firewall that Beijing uses to censor the internet.

Tibet Unrest Spreads Beyond Lhasa

_44495697_troops_afp203.jpg

Complete BBC report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7299597.stm

Tibetan protests against Chinese rule have spread to another part of China, after days of demonstrations and violence in Tibet's main city, Lhasa.

Clashes between Tibetan protesters and police in Aba, Sichuan province, saw a police station and cars attacked.

Rights groups said several people had been killed in the clashes, though this could not be verified.

The violence came after exiled Tibetan leaders said a Chinese crackdown had killed at least 80 people in Lhasa.

Indian-based officials said the figure was confirmed by several sources, even though China had put the death toll during Friday's riots at 10.

The Dalai Lama has called for an international inquiry into China's crackdown, accusing it of a "rule of terror" and "cultural genocide".

I agree...history is an interesting thing. A relative once told me that the winners write history. Boy was that wrong...history is everywhere, and it's all different. I wonder how the olympics will go...:confused:

Originally posted by onedomino
While living in China, I learned about the lies printed in Chinese school books. Occasionally, I would ask my Chinese friends, "What about Tibet?" And they would respond, "Tibet has always been part of China." And these were highly educated Chinese, people I met at Fudan University in Shanghai. Most Chinese are unaware that Mao and the PLA stole Tibet in 1950, while the victors of WW2 stood by and did nothing except ineffectually complain. If the average Chinese is even aware that Tibetan independence is an issue, it is only because they heard it from foreigners, or read snippets that slipped through the firewall that Beijing uses to censor the internet.

I feel sorry for the tibetan people.

I have a deep, sincere admiration for their national character based on non violence.

But unfortunately this national ethos works against an effective resistance to the invaders and occupiers of their land.

José;657652 said:
I feel sorry for the Tibetan people.

I have a deep, sincere admiration for their national character based on non violence.

But unfortunately this national ethos works against an effective resistance to the invaders and occupiers of their land.
I have visited Lhasa. It is so high that there are O2 dispensers in some of the hotel rooms. The Dalai Lama's former residence is a spectacularly beautiful place. The Tibetan people are very different from the Chinese. Younger Chinese are mostly non-religious and the Tibetans are very deeply religious. It is extremely difficult for them to resist the Chinese because non-violence is a basic tenant of Buddhism. They do no know how to combat the Chinese, the people with the guns.

I SUPPORT THE TIBETAN UPRISING AGAINST THE CHINESE.

I dont know why India isn't showing its full support to the Tibetans.Hell , we have a secret and covert Tibetan regiment in our Army known as the Special Frontier Force who are trained to operate behind CHinese lines.Clearly , New Delhi is afraid of angering Beijing. But what the hell? We have to fight them sooner or later!!!!!

All the countries should boycott the Beijing Olympics.That would teach the Communists a lesson and embarrass the Chinese Leadership.

I saw the latest news coming out from Zhonghonanhai. There is a new Vice President in place. This guy no doubt will follow the "noble" path undertaken by Comrade Mao.He is also in charge of the organization of the Beijing Olympics.What a load of bullshit..And the irony is that the ruling party in CHina is called the People's Party.

Did anyone see the latest pics streaming in from Lhasa?

NDTV sneaked in a few gruesome images into its telecast. The Chinese soldiers brutally shooting women and stuff like that. I'll try and get them though I doubt anyone would want to see them!

I have visited Lhasa. It is so high that there are O2 dispensers in some of the hotel rooms. The Dalai Lama's former residence is a spectacularly beautiful place. The Tibetan people are very different from the Chinese. Younger Chinese are mostly non-religious and the Tibetans are very deeply religious. It is extremely difficult for them to resist the Chinese because non-violence is a basic tenant of Buddhism. They do no know how to combat the Chinese, the people with the guns.

I agree. I have visited many Buddhist monastries in Northern india and Nepal and the sense of calm and sanctity that prevails there soothes your mind.
The bloodshed going on in Lhasa is a stark contrast to the principles of Buddhism.

Aki,

Do you have links to your news sources? I want to see the video from Lhasa. Thank you. 1d.

Aki,

Do you have links to your news sources? I want to see the video from Lhasa. Thank you. 1d.

I'll give you the link to the info stating the appointment of a new vice President in Beijing.

I am searching for the pics from Lhasa on the net but I cannot find them. As I said earlier , NDTV somehow managed to sneak in those pics of CHinese soldiers shooting a women. I saw it on T.V.The picture also showed her body with her head blown off which was grotesque.

I'll try getting it but it does look really sick.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/08/03/16/10197698.html

China has banned YouTube which had videos of CHinese atrocities in Lhasa.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/16/wtibet416.xml

I myself have tried to open these videos but they are blocked even here in the Middle East. I dont know why...Do you get NDTV by any chance?

Look at the picture shown in the link below. Tibetans throw money at bodies of protestors shot by the Chinese.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/18/wtibet118.xml

I am afraid this is all I could get.. I keep tuning into NDTV which shows some pics coming from Lhasa.

The Chinese gunned their way into Lhasa 58 years ago and the Tibetans still want their country back. Political authority in China has nothing to do with the rule of law. Political authority is derived from the group with the most guns: the PLA.

Young Tibetans Reject Dalai Lama's Lead

art.dalai.lama.ap.jpg

complete article: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/03/18/tibet.independence/#cnnSTCText

(CNN) -- While the Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of Tibet, many younger Tibetans do not follow him on a crucial question -- whether Tibet should have genuine autonomy or independence from China.

The young activists who have organized "Free Tibet" marches around the world demand independence for a homeland most of them have never seen. Born in exile, they reject the Dalai Lama's "middle way" of seeking "meaningful autonomy" -- not independence -- from China.

The youth activists also call for an international boycott of the Beijing Olympics, something the Dalai Lama does not do.

The Chinese government considers Tibet an autonomous province, but many Tibetans say it is autonomous in name only. The Dalai Lama says the Chinese often treat Tibetans as second-class citizens in their own land. He argues that Tibetans need full and genuine autonomy to protect their cultural heritage.

The Chinese government rejects international calls that it talk with the Dalai Lama, insisting he is a "separatist" and that his "clique" masterminded protests that convulsed Tibet last week and have spread to three neighboring Chinese provinces.

Tenzin Tsundue, a 32-year-old Tibetan activist and writer, said the Dalai Lama's demand for authentic autonomy from China was "wishful thinking."

In a 2005 interview published by the Tibet Society of South Africa, Tenzin said it was "highly unlikely" China would ever make the changes called for by the Dalai Lama.

"Because the return of the Dalai Lama to Tibet would inspire and unite the Tibetans so powerfully, that there'd be a revolution, and China can't have that happen," Tenzin said.

Great Firewall of China Expands as Tibetan Riots Continue

By Jacqui Cheng
March 17, 2008 - 11:14AM CT

complete article: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-china-expands-as-tibetan-riots-continue.html

China has joined the ranks of countries that have instituted either temporary or permanent blocks on YouTube. The decision came as clips of the recent riots in Tibet—a "sensitive" topic in China—have made their way onto the popular video sharing site. As usual, the Chinese government has remained mum on the move to block content from the eyes of Internet users, so it's unclear whether this block will remain in effect for the long term or if it's merely a short-term solution.

YouTube isn't the only site that has reportedly been added to China's Great Firewall since the Tibetan riots started last week. Popular news sites reporting on the riots—such as CNN, The Guardian, the BBC, Google News, and Yahoo!—have allegedly had all or parts of their sites blocked. Some Chinese readers have reported that only specific articles have been blocked, including ones that contain keywords about Tibet, riots, or the Dalai Lama.

YouTube Ban Only Erodes China's Image

complete article: http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9895796-7.html?tag=nefd.pulse

Protests break out in some nation around the globe and one of the first things a media-shy government does--just after sending in riot police--is pull the plug on YouTube.

The latest example is China's handling of protests in Tibet. The Chinese government has blocked access to YouTube in that country after scores of clips showing violence between police and protesters were posted to the site, according to hundreds of reports found on Google News.

Scores of other media outlets have been blocked or partially blacked out in China, including broadcasts of CNN, the BBC World, and Google News. But it's YouTube that gets all the ink.

In an example of YouTube's influence, blocking access to the video-sharing site is now a sort of scarlet letter for governments. The site, which allows individuals to communicate with mass audiences, has become a symbol of free speech to many, and governments that forbid it are immediately branded around the world as repressive.

This kind of image can't be welcomed by China as it prepares to host this summer's Olympic Games in Beijing.

Rolling Stones allowed censorship of their Shanghai concert. That's a long way from Street Fighting Man.

Hey! think the time is right for a palace revolution
But where I live the game to play is compromise solution

China Struggles to Cope With Foreign Criticism Ahead of Olympics

By Claudia Blume
Hong Kong
18 March 2008

complete article: http://voanews.com/english/2008-03-18-voa12.cfm

China wants to use the Beijing Olympics this summer to showcase itself as a modern world power. However, the games are drawing attention to the country's human rights record. Beijing's efforts to crush recent anti-government protests in Tibet are among the issues that are drawing fire not just from rights groups but also international celebrities in the lead-up to the Olympics. Claudia Blume in Hong Kong asked rights groups what kind of impact these protests have and how China is dealing with them.

Icelandic singer Björk caused controversy at a concert in Shanghai earlier this month, when during her song "Declare Independence", she repeatedly shouted "Tibet, Tibet".

China's Ministry of Culture was angered by the outburst, and announced it will tighten controls over foreign singers and performances.

Restrictions on foreign performers are not new in China. When the Rolling Stones played in the country in 2006, for example, authorities banned a number of their songs from the concert. But after Björk's Tibet comments, Beijing seems to be even more nervous.

American jazz pianist Harry Connick Jr. was forced to make last-minute changes to his concert in Shanghai last week because an old song-list had mistakenly been submitted to Chinese authorities. They insisted that Connick play the songs on that list, although his band did not have the music for them.

Sharon Hom, director of Human Rights in China, says while Beijing wants foreign entertainers to perform in China, authorities make it clear that certain issues are off-limits.

"They send a very clear message to the foreign entertainers as well as, I would say," she said, "generally foreigners that we welcome you, at the same time we want to make it clear that we are not going to accept certain red no-go zones. Obviously the 'three Ts' are going to be what they will not permit - you can not talk about Tibet, Taiwan or Tiananmen Square."

1,000 Tibetans Arrested in Chinese Crackdown

complete article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article3573635.ece

Jane Macartney in Beijing

Close to 1,000 Tibetans have been detained in two days of sweeps across Lhasa, the capital, by paramilitary police hunting down those who took part in last week’s deadly anti-Chinese riots.

Sources in the city said 600 people had been detained on Saturday and another 300 had been picked up on Sunday. They said it was not clear where those rounded up were being detained because the main Drapchi prison in Lhasa is believed to be virtually full.

Those detained could be taken to the old Number One prison in the Sangyip district in the northeast of Lhasa that is not currently believed to be in use. They may be held in the nearby Number Four detention centre and the New Lhasa prison in the same district that has recently been used as a re-education-through-labour centre. They could even be taken to the new Chushur prison some distance outside Lhasa where most political prisoners are believed to be jailed after sentencing.
-

José;657652 said:
I feel sorry for the tibetan people.

I agree

Also I feel sorry for the chinese people (not the government) who think that they re doing the right thing because "tibet was always a part of China". I wonder what it s like to discover at some point in your life that all the things you assumed to be facts are lies, it must be like waking up out of a coma.

India DID support a violent uprising by CIA-trained Tibetans. In fact, the CIA trained 10 times as many soldiers in Tibet as in Nicaragua. But the PLA was able to defeat the Tibetan resisters.

Forum List

Back