Dahfur, They Don't Trust The UN

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
how ungrateful can you get?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1207218.htm

Darfur refugees fear returning home: UN
Many refugees in Sudan's wartorn Darfur region still live in a climate of fear and are reluctant to return home as they do not trust the government to protect them, according to the United Nation's (UN) human rights chief.

"The stories we heard in all three states of Darfur convey an acute sense of insecurity," UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Louise Arbour said.

Many refugees "continue to live in a climate of fear".

An estimated 50,000 people have died and 1.4 million have been displaced in Sudan's western Darfur region where UN officials say pro-government Janjaweed militias have carried out a scorched earth campaign of ethnic cleansing against non-Arab minorities.

Ms Arbour returned to Geneva after spending a week in the region with the UN's special envoy on genocide, Juan Mendes and is due to present a report and recommendations in the coming days to UN secretary general Kofi Annan and the UN Security Council.

The UN has been putting pressure on the Sudanese Government to disarm the Janjaweed and increase security in the area so refugees may return home, but Ms Arbour said "displaced people cannot envisage returning home because they do not trust the government of Sudan to protect them".

"At best they feel the authorities respond inadequately to their concerns, and at worst that they are in collusion with their abusers, including armed groups and militias generally described as Janjaweed," she said.

-- AFP

:laugh: I'm sorry this just cracks me up.

<SCENE: DAHFUR> Janjaweed militias, sponsored by the goverment, proceed to burn a village and kill local inhabitants.

<SCENE: NEW YORK>
UN GUY 1: Oh my! It looks like the government is killing all these inncocent people! We should do something! This is inhuman!

UN GUY 2: (reads paper) hmmm...yes...I see. But is it "genocide" per ce, or just goverment militias running amok slaughtering people?

UN GUY 1: Uhh, does it really matter? People are dying, we have to do something!

UN GUY 3: You are correct. I know this situation calls for drastic measures! We will....DUM DUM DUMMMMM....Hold a meeting of the Security Council!

<SCENE: DAHFUR> Janjaweeds kill hundreds more people, burn more villages.

<SCENE: NEW YORK> One week later...

UN GUY 1: Ladies and gentlemen of the Security Council! We have an emergency! The government of Sudan is sponsoring these militias that are killing thousands! We have to help!

UN GUY 4: Whoa Whoa Whoa! Let's not go flying off the handle here! Now where did we land on the issue of "is it genocide or not"?

UN GUY 1: WHO THE HELL CARES?!

UN GUY 2: What are you, a warmongering idiot? This is important! The distinction between government sponsored genocide and government sponsored militias running amok killing people is enormous!

UN GUY 3: We should get Sudan's perepective. Sudan, is this all true?

SUDANESE GOVT REP: No.

mumbling throughout the council and audience

UN GUY 4: Well this sure casts things in a differnet light.

UN GUY 3: It would be foolish to intervene now, we must settle these conflicting reports.

UN GUY 1: Are you frickn' nuts?! What, would take Saddam's word that he was disarming? This is as crazy as...as...as putting Libya as head of the Human Rights Council!

UN GUY 2:...
UN GUY 3:...
UN GUY 4:...

UN GUY 2: OK OK OK! We will appoint our special envoy on genocide to look into it, and then send some guy on a nice photo-op to hold hands with refugee children. Meanwhile we will discuss the possibility of oil sanctions...

<TO BE CONTINUED>

==============================================

Again, the UN would be terribly funny if it wasnt so sad.

theim said:
:laugh: I'm sorry this just cracks me up.

<SCENE: DAHFUR> Janjaweed militias, sponsored by the goverment, proceed to burn a village and kill local inhabitants.

<SCENE: NEW YORK>
UN GUY 1: Oh my! It looks like the government is killing all these inncocent people! We should do something! This is inhuman!

UN GUY 2: (reads paper) hmmm...yes...I see. But is it "genocide" per ce, or just goverment militias running amok slaughtering people?

UN GUY 1: Uhh, does it really matter? People are dying, we have to do something!

UN GUY 3: You are correct. I know this situation calls for drastic measures! We will....DUM DUM DUMMMMM....Hold a meeting of the Security Council!

<SCENE: DAHFUR> Janjaweeds kill hundreds more people, burn more villages.

<SCENE: NEW YORK> One week later...

UN GUY 1: Ladies and gentlemen of the Security Council! We have an emergency! The government of Sudan is sponsoring these militias that are killing thousands! We have to help!

UN GUY 4: Whoa Whoa Whoa! Let's not go flying off the handle here! Now where did we land on the issue of "is it genocide or not"?

UN GUY 1: WHO THE HELL CARES?!

UN GUY 2: What are you, a warmongering idiot? This is important! The distinction between government sponsored genocide and government sponsored militias running amok killing people is enormous!

UN GUY 3: We should get Sudan's perepective. Sudan, is this all true?

SUDANESE GOVT REP: No.

mumbling throughout the council and audience

UN GUY 4: Well this sure casts things in a differnet light.

UN GUY 3: It would be foolish to intervene now, we must settle these conflicting reports.

UN GUY 1: Are you frickn' nuts?! What, would take Saddam's word that he was disarming? This is as crazy as...as...as putting Libya as head of the Human Rights Council!

UN GUY 2:...
UN GUY 3:...
UN GUY 4:...

UN GUY 2: OK OK OK! We will appoint our special envoy on genocide to look into it, and then send some guy on a nice photo-op to hold hands with refugee children. Meanwhile we will discuss the possibility of oil sanctions...

<TO BE CONTINUED>

==============================================

Again, the UN would be terribly funny if it wasnt so sad.

Ditto. Get the US out of the UN, Get the UN out of the US.

the UN gets better at this deception of pretending to actually care about these people

remember in rwanda they completely ignored it for months (with the help of madeline albright of course)

The UN operates on a similar philosophy as the Hollyweird super liberals.

Hollywood diletantes became enraged that a white South African government was depriving its black population of their civil rights and imprisoning dissenters.

Now that certainly is cause for concern and I would have applauded their efforts except for the fact that at the same time the South Africans were denying blacks their civil liberties, Idi Amin was murdering his people by the hundreds of thousands.

Was there any outcry from the Hollywood dumbasses? Nope. Not a peep. Apparently they reserve their ire exclusively for white governments who deprive their black populace of civil rights. Somehow they seem to feel that it is not an issue when a black government deprives its black poplulace of their very lives.

Perhaps that's why we have not heard very much from this same crowd on the Darfur issue.

Will the REAL racists please stand up? Yeah - you too, Bill Clinton.

Merlin1047 said:
The UN operates on a similar philosophy as the Hollyweird super liberals.

Hollywood diletantes became enraged that a white South African government was depriving its black population of their civil rights and imprisoning dissenters.

Now that certainly is cause for concern and I would have applauded their efforts except for the fact that at the same time the South Africans were denying blacks their civil liberties, Idi Amin was murdering his people by the hundreds of thousands.

Was there any outcry from the Hollywood dumbasses? Nope. Not a peep. Apparently they reserve their ire exclusively for white governments who deprive their black populace of civil rights. Somehow they seem to feel that it is not an issue when a black government deprives its black poplulace of their very lives.

Perhaps that's why we have not heard very much from this same crowd on the Darfur issue.

Will the REAL racists please stand up? Yeah - you too, Bill Clinton.

I'm sure they wouldn't "blacklist" anyone for speaking out in support of our current administration policies, would they ? :rolleyes:

to be fair, how widely reported in the american media was the uganda slaughter? i went through middle and high school barely hearing about apartheid, let alone uganda. hell, i personally educated my class about rwanda and sudan (just me being the little activist annoyance throughout high school).... and in the 70's we didn't have the kind of widespread world news in your face like we do today (not dismissing their inaction but just wondering since i wasn't alive back then)

where are all the super liberals for darfur? aside from danny glover, will smith, jada pinkett, jamie foxx and a couple of other black and latino stars who've gotten themselves arrested in protests at sudanese and chinese counsulates (richard gere is always one for pissing the chinese off) or done charity events for genocide survivors,

where's michael moore and his ilk?

i don't see pamela anderson or martin sheen doing jackshit for these people...

Forum List

Back