DADT Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

Los Angeles Times:

A federal judge in Riverside declared the U.S. military's ban on openly gay service members unconstitutional Thursday, saying the "don't ask, don't tell" policy violates the 1st Amendment rights of lesbians and gay men.

U.S. District Court Judge Virginia A. Phillips said the policy banning gays did not preserve military readiness, contrary to what many supporters have argued, saying evidence shows that the policy in fact had a "direct and deleterious effect'" on the military.

Phillips issued an injunction barring the government from enforcing the policy. However, the U.S. Department of Justice, which defended "don't ask, don't tell" during a two-week trial in Riverside, will have an opportunity to appeal that decision.

Read the whole story: Los Angeles Times

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Los Angeles Times:

A federal judge in Riverside declared the U.S. military's ban on openly gay service members unconstitutional Thursday, saying the "don't ask, don't tell" policy violates the 1st Amendment rights of lesbians and gay men.

U.S. District Court Judge Virginia A. Phillips said the policy banning gays did not preserve military readiness, contrary to what many supporters have argued, saying evidence shows that the policy in fact had a "direct and deleterious effect'" on the military.

Phillips issued an injunction barring the government from enforcing the policy. However, the U.S. Department of Justice, which defended "don't ask, don't tell" during a two-week trial in Riverside, will have an opportunity to appeal that decision.

The Constitution created by our Founding Fathers did not consider ABNORMAL FREAKS....

NO FUCKING WAY !!!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Los Angeles Times:

The Constitution created by our Founding Fathers did not consider ABNORMAL FREAKS....

NO FUCKING WAY !!!

fortunately, you're still covered :thup:

kudos

• Thanks
Ridiculous.

You sign away your constitutional rights when you join the military.

No shit.

Bad ruling. The needs of the military should prevail in this matter which logic dictates includes gay servicemembers.

you don't sign away the right not to be discriminated againt

don't pay attention to pretend constitutionalists.

it's a great ruling and its perfect because it gives cover to the govt types.

• Thanks
You sign away ALL of your rights.

You are property of the US gubmint, the moment you sign the enlistment contract or accept the commission, until the day you're issued your DD-214.

no. you don't.

you sign away some rights... like freedom of speech.

you do not sign away your freedom of religion.

you do not sign away the right not to be discriminated against.

but feel free to prove the regs that exempt the feds from anti-discrimination laws.

Gays have always been in the military and they always will be. There is no reason why they should have to hide it. The judge made the correct ruling.

• Thanks
Ridiculous.

You sign away your constitutional rights when you join the military.

No shit.

Bad ruling. The needs of the military should prevail in this matter which logic dictates includes gay servicemembers.

The military operates under a whole different law, and has its own court system. They do not have free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, or many of the other rights you take for granted. They are subject to different rules, and can easily be told not to have sex with some people.

You sign away ALL of your rights.

You are property of the US gubmint, the moment you sign the enlistment contract or accept the commission, until the day you're issued your DD-214.

no. you don't.

you sign away some rights... like freedom of speech.

you do not sign away your freedom of religion.

you do not sign away the right not to be discriminated against.

but feel free to prove the regs that exempt the feds from anti-discrimination laws.

I seem to remember being told that I had to stay on ship a few times, and not being able to go anywhere, including church. Muslims don't get to stop and pray 5 times a day.

I could go on, but I hope you get the point.

I seem to remember being told that I had to stay on ship a few times, and not being able to go anywhere, including church. Muslims don't get to stop and pray 5 times a day.

did any regulation require you not to pray? or to convert to another religion? were you told you could NOT go to church when you were not on duty or confined to ship?

I could go on, but I hope you get the point. :)

No shit.

The military operates under a whole different law, and has its own court system. They do not have free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, or many of the other rights you take for granted. They are subject to different rules, and can easily be told not to have sex with some people.

I am aware of the limitations imposed on soldiers.

And none of those limitations permit a soldier to be discriminated against for race, religion or gender.

the constitution does not require that government never interfere with your rights. but when a fundamental right is involved there has to be a substantial govermental interest in the limitation.

there is no substantial governmental interest which justifies discrimination. and if you think there was a substantial governmental interest in DADT, then this court obviously disagrees.

As I said, I think this one will be a relief for everyone.

Last edited:

Los Angeles Times:

NO FUCKING WAY !!!

It also didn't consider the internet, automobiles, or an end to slavery. What is your point?:eusa_whistle:

did any regulation require you not to pray? or to convert to another religion? were you told you could NOT go to church when you were not on duty or confined to ship?

I agree that this is a good ruling constitutionally, however I also agree with what they are saying about the Military. You do indeed lose many rights when you join. You in fact can get in trouble for having hetero Sex with another member of the Military.

However I do not see how that applies to a law which states that you do not talk about your sexual orientation.

It has always seemed silly to me. Basically it is saying we know you are here but we do not want to hear about it.

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

I agree that this is a good ruling constitutionally, however I also agree with what they are saying about the Military. You do indeed lose many rights when you join. You in fact can get in trouble for having hetero Sex with another member of the Military.

However I do not see how that applies to a law which states that you do not talk about your sexual orientation.

It has always seemed silly to me. Basically it is saying we know you are here but we do not want to hear about it.

So you are for or against a lifting of the ban?

we have agreed three times in the past two days.

i think the world is coming to an end. :lol:

Forum List

Back