DADT: for those who said let the troops decide:

It's obviously "broke" or this wouldn't be considered an issue, at all.

I'm sure Senator McCain will now explain that more research is needed...

and when that research finds the same results, he'll explain that more research is needed....

Rinse, repeat.

He's old school. I can understand that. I have older family and what not. The older mostly seem less tollerant of "different." (not all of course) I hope I don't grow into that somehow.

He's old school. I can understand that. I have older family and what not. The older mostly seem less tollerant of "different." (not all of course) I hope I don't grow into that somehow.

I accept where Sen McCain's opinion comes from. What I don't accept is moving the goalposts on DADT repeal instead of admitting you really just don't want gays to serve openly.

I also don't think we need to be basing policy on the homophobic fears of a small minority of Republicans. Rather, we should follow the recommendations of our top military officials (both civilian and enlisted) and the opinion of an overwhelming percentage of enlisted people.

I accept where Sen McCain's opinion comes from. What I don't accept is moving the goalposts on DADT repeal instead of admitting you really just don't want gays to serve openly.

I also don't think we need to be basing policy on the homophobic fears of a small minority of Republicans. Rather, we should follow the recommendations of our top military officials (both civilian and enlisted) and the opinion of an overwhelming percentage of enlisted people.

And the population as a whole. I think it was something like 58%.

I tire of the military being used to score points.

When I was in we had to put on big shows for any POS pol that came down from DC.

Vets and the military have been used so long that no one notices that it's being done.

No one gives a shit about DADT. Clinton was an asshole to put that on us, for the gay vote, don't think he did it b/c he gave a damn, it was only for votes. And it's only an issue now b/c big 0 and the dims need votes, and nothing else.

So hip hip hoofuckingray, the miltary doesn't get to decide how they run themselves!!

So hip hip hoofuckingray, the miltary doesn't get to decide how they run themselves!!

The research of the military brass (and the opinion of those enlisted in said military) supports repealing DADT. They did their own research and reached that conclusion on their own. It was their decision.

I tire of the military being used to score points.

When I was in we had to put on big shows for any POS pol that came down from DC.

Vets and the military have been used so long that no one notices that it's being done.

No one gives a shit about DADT. Clinton was an asshole to put that on us, for the gay vote, don't think he did it b/c he gave a damn, it was only for votes. And it's only an issue now b/c big 0 and the dims need votes, and nothing else.

I actually sincerely think that it's sad policy to keep around. I wouldn't care which "side's" wedge issue it was, this would be a win in my eyes either way.

I argue that the population, if you're referring to all citizens, should NOT have a say.

If you're not in the military where this would actually affect a mission in some way, then all you really have is an opinion on it that means jack shit to the military's overall mission.

Seriously, how is John Q. Taxpayer's opinion on DADT relevant to the military's current mission?

I argue that the population, if you're referring to all citizens, should NOT have a say.

If you're not in the military where this would actually affect a mission in some way, then all you really have is an opinion on it that means jack shit to the military's overall mission.

Seriously, how is John Q. Taxpayer's opinion on DADT relevant to the military's current mission?

I would go further, tap into my "what's right and wrong" Spidey senses, and say that even the Military's opinion doesn't matter. What's right, matters, and treating other law abiding human beings like second class citizens is wrong no matter how widely "accepted" or not accepted the practice is. Basically, I 1/2 agree with your post. :razz:

You do know we have a civilian commander in chief don't you?

Pentagon study: Gays could serve with no harm
By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Anne Flaherty, Associated Press
2 hrs 48 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The Pentagon study that argues that gay troops could serve openly without hurting the military's ability to fight is expected to re-ignite debate this month on Capitol Hill over repealing the 17-year-old "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Officials familiar with the 10-month study's results have said a clear majority of respondents don't care if gays serve openly, with 70 percent predicting that lifting the ban would have positive, mixed or no results. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the findings hadn't been released.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen, who have both said they support repealing the law, were scheduled to discuss the findings with Congress Tuesday morning and with reporters Tuesday afternoon.

Republicans, led by Sen. John McCain of Arizona, have mostly opposed repealing the law because they say efforts to do so are politically driven and dangerous at a time of two wars.

"This was a political promise made by an inexperienced president or candidate for presidency of the United States," McCain told CNN's "State of the Union" last weekend.

"The military is at its highest point in recruitment and retention and professionalism and capability, so to somehow allege that this policy has been damaging the military is simply false," McCain said.

Democrats and gay rights groups counter that the study finally proves what they've known anecdotally for years: Most troops would accept an openly gay person in their units.

"It's what we expected. The atmosphere in the active-duty has changed," said a gay Air Force officer and co-founder of the advocacy group OutServe. The officer uses the pseudonym "JD Smith" to protect his identity.

The survey is based on responses by some 115,000 troops and 44,200 military spouses to more than a half million questionnaires distributed last summer. The study group, led by Pentagon General Counsel Jeh Johnson and Army Gen. Carter Ham, also visited various military bases and held town hall-style meetings with service members.

The findings of troop opinions would reflect the view of the broader population. According to a November survey by the Pew Research Center, 58 percent of Americans say they favor allowing gays to serve openly in the armed forces while 27 percent oppose.

The House has already voted to overturn the law as part of a broader defense policy bill. But Senate Republicans have blocked the measure because they say not enough time has been allowed for debate on unrelated provisions in the bill.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has promised a vote on the matter by the end of the year, after hearings can be held this week on the Pentagon study. Still, some gay rights groups have complained that Democratic leadership has done little to push for repeal before the new Congress takes over in January.

Reid spokesman Jim Manley said the majority leader is "very much committed to doing away with the ban this year" but that it was the GOP's fault for blocking the bill.

This is from Yahoo News right? I think there's already a thread going on this.

No surprise about the study. This thing is on it's last leg.

The research of the military brass (and the opinion of those enlisted in said military) supports repealing DADT. They did their own research and reached that conclusion on their own. It was their decision.

The military still has no say.

The military leaders can not keep or end dadt on thier own.

But this "research" will be used to score political points, nothing more.

I have to agree with McCain on the repealing issue. Who do these homosexuals, who represent 1% of the country, think they are that they can dictate to the nation and its military that they can serve openly gay? The solution should be plain and simple. No gays in the military. This is a time of war and we don't need to be bogged down with this insane dilemma. The bottom line is gays will psychologically demoralize the troops and it will cause resentment within the ranks. Just the issue alone is so inflammatory that it is proof it won't work. In combat, we need our soldiers to be focused on the job at hand and that is killing the enemy and not being sidetracked by a openly homosexual trooper who's made it clear he wants to stick it to you later on that night in a foxhole.

Last edited:
UAR you are a dinosaur.

You see your idiotic fear is no longer carried arround by todays population.

McCain has flipped on this one because he has NO INTEGRITY

why change d a d t, it's like guantanamo, it works fine... leave it the way it is, what is the problem with d a d t anyway ?

the text ads on this page are gay related, that's pretty funny... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

The military still has no say.

The military leaders can not keep or end dadt on thier own.

But this "research" will be used to score political points, nothing more.

The leaders of the military have say in the policy. They researched it. They arrived at a conclusion. They present that conclusion to their own leaders and to congress.

Either their own leader or congress will act on that research and their recommendations.

Forum List

Back