DADT could be heading for veto

Discussion in 'Military' started by Reidlr, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Reidlr

Reidlr Constitutionalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It is time we ended this dishonest practice of attaching hinky bills to other bills anyway. If they want to pass shit, put it out in the open and stop trying to hide it behind other stuff.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Reidlr

Reidlr Constitutionalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I completely agree. This is a practice that has been going on for far to long. Its not a biased argument either, both parties do this all the time!

At least in this instance of attaching bills onto bills, it will bite the supporters of the repeal of DADT in the ass! It will be interesting to see if Obama will actually go through with it and veto the bill, thus angering the GLBT community who he has sworn to support.

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Yep, both parties are equally guilty, as is the SOP for DC. There is no difference between them when it comes to dishonest, self serving practices.

If it was a less important issue, I'd find the whole thing damned entertaining to watch but DADT is a big issue for the military. And I'll always side with the Military over either party.

5. Reidlr

Reidlr Constitutionalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It is a huge issue for the MILITARY, but unfortunatly those that are pushing the repeal are NOT military nor do they care for the military's opinion!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I know.... I have lots of friends across the services (even a couple of gays!! :eek::eusa_shhh:) and each one seems to say the same "hell NO!"

My brother has a couple of guys under his command that he knows are gay - they have no problem with it. They have a problem with "outsiders" telling them how to run the Military. It's not being done in the best interests of the military - it is all about political correctness... the Military is not a democracy.... and it is not a politically correct organization. Those who choose to serve in it know what they are getting into.

7. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    On matters of public policy, the military should remember that it works for the American people and the duly elected representatives they elect.

The military does not, and never has had, (have) the latitude to oppose national policy.

Since Obama is the CINC, I am curious as to why he can't simply end DADT without any legislative input. It would seem to be his prerogative to do so.

8. geauxtohell

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    They need to get over it. "Outsiders" have run the military since our nation began. The military is not a democracy, but it should represent the people it serves (barring criminals, etc) and there is something fundamentally wrong with barring someone from service due to their sexual orientation and it's even more bizarre to allow someone to serve but force them to lie about their sexual orientation.

As for all the "not far to stick a homosexual in a shower with a bunch of straight guys", you can save your breath. Being a former grunt, I see those as absurd canards.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    No one is 'barred' for their sexuality. It ain't broke, don't fix it. Let the military decide it and the rest of us should mind our own fucking business.

10. geauxtohell

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Not now, and that was only after the conservatives and the military threw a fit over DADT. Now "DADT" is considered the gold standard that everyone is dying to adhere too. The bottom line is that certain people are going to oppose change no matter what it is. Though there isn't a 100% correlation, a lot of the same rhetoric was employed to keep the military segregated. That issue was hugely controversial and eventually Trumen just told the military to STFU and gave an executive order. Now no-one debates the legitimacy of desegregating the military.

So homosexuals aren't "barred" from service now. They are just forced to lie about who they are, all the while serving under a legal code that takes a dim view of dishonesty. Ironic, that.

And again, this matter is not up for the military to decide. The DOD works for the American people, not vice versa.

They'll take their orders from the civilian chain of command, salute the flag pole, and move out just as they have done since the beginning.