Dad: Arizona girl's corneas saved vision of 2 kids

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon

TUCSON, Ariz. – Donated corneas from the young girl killed in the Arizona mass shooting have saved the eyesight of two children, the girl's father told The Associated Press on Monday.

John Green said the Donor Network of Arizona told him and his wife about the successful transplants.

He said he doesn't know whether any of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green's other organs have gone to any other children, but he's under the impression that her wounds rendered her internal organs unusable

Dad: Arizona girl's corneas saved vision of 2 kids - Yahoo! News

how is this possible? i'm going to page dr. xotoxi....

TUCSON, Ariz. – Donated corneas from the young girl killed in the Arizona mass shooting have saved the eyesight of two children, the girl's father told The Associated Press on Monday.

John Green said the Donor Network of Arizona told him and his wife about the successful transplants.

He said he doesn't know whether any of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green's other organs have gone to any other children, but he's under the impression that her wounds rendered her internal organs unusable

Yes. How may I help you?

Yes. How may I help you?

how is this done? could you explain it to us lay people? how can someone's cornea work in someone else's eye? a heart transplant makes sense, as it is more like an engine, but a cornea...?

Yes. How may I help you?

how is this done? could you explain it to us lay people? how can someone's cornea work in someone else's eye? a heart transplant makes sense, as it is more like an engine, but a cornea...?

The cornea is the thin transparent film that covers your pupil. In some situations, this can lose it's transparency, either through disease or trauma. If the cornea becomes opaque for too long (especially in a child), vision can be permanently lost.

As far as I know, corneas are the most transplantable part of the body. Because they don't really have much of a blood supply, they are not as quickly effected by the anoxia of death. And I believe that they are not as likely to be rejected by the recipient like with other organs, due to the fact that they don't have a significant blood supply.

Nearly everyone can donate their corneas at the time of their death. Only those who die a brain death can donate their vital organs. A cardiovascular death results in too much anoxic damage to organs.

Yes. How may I help you?

The cornea is the thin transparent film that covers your pupil. In some situations, this can lose it's transparency, either through disease or trauma. If the cornea becomes opaque for too long (especially in a child), vision can be permanently lost.

As far as I know, corneas are the most transplantable part of the body. Because they don't really have much of a blood supply, they are not as quickly effected by the anoxia of death. And I believe that they are not as likely to be rejected by the recipient like with other organs, due to the fact that they don't have a significant blood supply.

Nearly everyone can donate their corneas at the time of their death. Only those who die a brain death can donate their vital organs. A cardiovascular death results in too much anoxic damage to organs.

thank you.

it amazes me that you can take someone's "eye" (a dead person's eye) and transplant that into a living person and that living person will see due to the dead person's eye.

thank you.

it amazes me that you can take someone's "eye" (a dead person's eye) and transplant that into a living person and that living person will see due to the dead person's eye.

Well...it's not quite the dead person's EYE that is transplanted. Just the thin clear layer over the pupil.

eye_lg.gif

The area that is transplanted is probably the size and appearance of a contact lens.

If the rest of your eye (pupil, lens, retina, optic nerve) is fucked up, you are fucked.

Last edited:
At least there's a silver lining from the story.

What would the silver lining be, huh? A girl is dead, but some other kids get to see?

I reckon those kids would give their sight in a heartbeat if it meant that little girl was still alive.

Do you not know what the term "silver lining" means? Seriously.

–noun
"a sign of hope in an unfortunate or gloomy situation; a bright prospect: Every cloud has a silver lining."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/silver+lining

As I said before, at least there's a silver lining, I don't know about you but these kids being able to see is somewhat a comforting thing in regards to this tragedy.

Interesting story: About 20 years ago, a dear friend was shot and mortally wounded by her estranged husband. After about 36 hours, doctors had concluded she was brain dead. The family agreed to donate her organs. We all took turns saying good-by to Maryann. I was the last to see her before they moved her to the OR. My then wife and I left Yale-New Haven for our church to pray with the young associate pastor.
We had been with the pastor for an hour or so when her husband, the pastor of a church in Milford, CT ran into her office shouting "Janet got a heart!"
He realized that he had interrupted and apologized profusely. After comparing notes, it became apparent that Janet had received Maryann's heart. What a heart it was and I'm sure Maryann was looking down on us, tickled at the irony..

Forum List

Back