Da Vinci Code Questions

LOki said:
A rationale made up in direct contradiction to the Bible, heretic. :D

It doesn't contradict the Bible. God said "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." He did not then say, "And the Sabbath shall only be observed on Saturdays from 6pm Friday until 6pm Saturday." The shifting of the Sabbath by most Christian denomination is a move to have a weekly celebration of the central event to our faith. There's nothing heretical about it.

Hobbit said:
It doesn't contradict the Bible. God said "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." He did not then say, "And the Sabbath shall only be observed on Saturdays from 6pm Friday until 6pm Saturday." The shifting of the Sabbath by most Christian denomination is a move to have a weekly celebration of the central event to our faith. There's nothing heretical about it.

Dude - which day somebody goes to church has nothing to do with 'keeping it holy'. You understand that. LOki likely will not. People like to point accusing fingers at Truth for a myriad of reasons. Most is ignorance. Often it's they are blinded by their gods and cannot see truth.

dmp said:
Stop being such a baby. (shrug)

Re: Divorce.

Divorce makes people adulterers. Unless they've made themselves an adulterer.

Adultry can be forgiven as much as any OTHER sin.

Frankly I doubt Divorce and re-marraige is any Super Big Deal in God's eyes, as God cares about 'US' far more than he cares about 'Marriage'. He didn't Die for "marriage" - he died and rose again for 'us'.

:)

I'm sorry if I come across as a baby, I just have strong feelings about this. Keeping a marriage together when it doesn't work and is affecting the children negatively just makes no sense at all.

I agree that it's not a major sin, but I still think the catholic church schould give it some leniency for the right reasons besides adultery.

While we're on the topic of the Da Vinci Code...I just got back from the movies.

It wasn't as bad as the critics made it out to be.

I was tempted to heckle the idiots protesting the movie but I figured it would be pretty pointless.

Powerman said:
While we're on the topic of the Da Vinci Code...I just got back from the movies.

It wasn't as bad as the critics made it out to be.

I was tempted to heckle the idiots protesting the movie but I figured it would be pretty pointless.
Speaking of protesting blasphemy....

Does anyone but me remember "The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie? In that novel, Mr. Rushdie portrayed the prophet Mohammad. I don't know if it was in an unflattering way or not, but no matter. As a result, the Ayatollah Khomeini saw fit to pronounce a "fatwa" on Mr Rushdie, so that his life wasn't worth a dime and several bookstores firebombed. Mr. Rushdie is now celebrating his 17th anniversary in hiding.

Remember "those" cartoons this past spring? If you don't remember, a Swedish newspaper published cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammad. How many people died, how much property was burnt and destroyed over them?

Now, a novel appears that not only depicts Christ in a unflattering light, but attacks His divinity. Not only that, but a movie was made on the subject. In addition, "Sir" Ian McKellan added to the fray by enlightening the rest of us that the Bible is nothing more than fiction. Parenthetically, I suppose that being a gay activist and British thespian either automatically qualifies you to be an authority on the Bible or gives you license to be as offensive as you'd like.

I have yet to hear of Pope Benedict putting a contract on Dan Brown, the author. Aside from the heckles of the critics, I wonder, are Tom Hanks, "Sir" Ian McKellan, and Ron "Opie" Howard also in hiding, fearing for their lives? I wonder just how many people died as a result of the movie or how much property destroyed?

Considering all this, it's amazing that some people call Islam the religion of peace and consider Christianity the religion with blood on its hands. As the Son of God (or is He now just a nice guy?) once said "By their fruits, Ye shall know them".

KarlMarx said:
Speaking of protesting blasphemy....

Does anyone but me remember "The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie? In that novel, Mr. Rushdie portrayed the prophet Mohammad. I don't know if it was in an unflattering way or not, but no matter. As a result, the Ayatollah Khomeini saw fit to pronounce a "fatwa" on Mr Rushdie, so that his life wasn't worth a dime and several bookstores firebombed. Mr. Rushdie is now celebrating his 17th anniversary in hiding.

Remember "those" cartoons this past spring? If you don't remember, a Swedish newspaper published cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammad. How many people died, how much property was burnt and destroyed over them?

Now, a novel appears that not only depicts Christ in a unflattering light, but attacks His divinity. Not only that, but a movie was made on the subject. In addition, "Sir" Ian McKellan added to the fray by enlightening the rest of us that the Bible is nothing more than fiction. Parenthetically, I suppose that being a gay activist and British thespian either automatically qualifies you to be an authority on the Bible or gives you license to be as offensive as you'd like.

I have yet to hear of Pope Benedict putting a contract on Dan Brown, the author. Aside from the heckles of the critics, I wonder, are Tom Hanks, "Sir" Ian McKellan, and Ron "Opie" Howard also in hiding, fearing for their lives? I wonder just how many people died as a result of the movie or how much property destroyed?

Considering all this, it's amazing that some people call Islam the religion of peace and consider Christianity the religion with blood on its hands. As the Son of God (or is He now just a nice guy?) once said "By their fruits, Ye shall know them".

Good point. But every religion has its wackos... there are people who call themselves Christian and who kill abortion doctors (or support that type of thing); there are people who call themselves Jews who murdered people praying in the Mosque at the Tomb of the Patriarchs or assassinated Yitzak Rabin...... doesn't make what those people do the measure by which one should judge an entire religion.

And Rushdie himself is so worried about the Fatwa (which I don't think has ever been lifted) that he was two tables down from me at a restaurant not all that long ago. :p: (only problem was I kept getting ready to duck).

As for Jesus, other religions consider him a great man... you can start there. :)

jillian said:
Good point. But every religion has its wackos... there are people who call themselves Christian and who kill abortion doctors (or support that type of thing); there are people who call themselves Jews who murdered people praying in the Mosque at the Tomb of the Patriarchs or assassinated Yitzak Rabin...... doesn't make what those people do the measure by which one should judge an entire religion.

And Rushdie himself is so worried about the Fatwa (which I don't think has ever been lifted) that he was two tables down from me at a restaurant not all that long ago. :p: (only problem was I kept getting ready to duck).

As for Jesus, other religions consider him a great man... you can start there. :)

You need to look realistically at what % of the ethnic population in question supports the actions of the "lunatic fringe". Your equation of Islam to Christianity just because there are "some wacko abortion bombers too" is, in fact, poor science.

jillian said:
Good point. But every religion has its wackos... there are people who call themselves Christian and who kill abortion doctors (or support that type of thing);

The one LARGE Resounding difference? Christian Leaders CONDEMN people when they participate in such behaviour. Muslim Leaders haven't stepped up to the plate; I'm left to assume it's because they AGREE with what those 'fringe whackos' are doing. It's part of their faith.

GunnyL said:
Yeah, I already covered that part. Where's the part that says Saturday is the Sabbath? Who determined Sunday was the first day of the week and Saturday the last?
Every schoolboy knows that Saturday has always been the seventh day of the week and Sunday is the First. ;)

The Gregorians got it from the Julian calandar used by Constantine, Constantine got it from the Christians, who got the notion from the Coptic calendar derived from the Egyptian calander used by the Jews--in particular Moses--who recieved the notion, and the commandment, directly from God.

Hobbit said:
LOki said:
Hobbit said:
Concerning the Sabbath:

Yes, Saturday is the original Sabbath. The Jews have been observing it for millenia, so they know what's what. However, the Christian switching of the holy day from Saturday to Sunday has nothing to do with sun worship. Christ was executed the day after the Passover, just before the Sabbath. Since Jewish days start in the evening (rather than midnight, like ours), that means Jesus was executed on a Friday. Counting Friday, he rose on the third day, which would be Sunday. Using Sunday as the Christian day of worship is a celebration of the resurrection of Christ. It's as simple as that. No origins in some pagan ritual or anything.
A rationale made up in direct contradiction to the Bible, heretic. :D
Firstly this Easter rationalization is crap, Constantine established Sunday for the Christians to put every religion's day of worship the same day. Regardless, I'll concede the "6pm Friday until 6pm Saturday" business, but God said the seventh day, Saturday, was the Sabbath. He did not go on to say "..but by all means, if it's inconvenient, or you'd like to be Christians, go on and change it to Sunday, the day of the Sun god--ignore that "...no others before Me..." while you're at it."

But you are right about the heresy--since current Christian dogma makes Sunday the sabbath, asserting so cannot be heresy--but since it is still in direct contradiction to God's explicit Commandment, it is sin--have fun burning in Hell sinner! :thup:

dmp said:
Dude - which day somebody goes to church has nothing to do with 'keeping it holy'. You understand that.
That's not what God says.

dmp said:
LOki likely will not.
I don't understand it either way, but I can understand the simple instruction:
God said:
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
And which day he meant:
God said:
...on the seventh day, which is the sabbath...

dmp said:
People like to point accusing fingers at Truth for a myriad of reasons.
When the Truth gets a little cumbersome, people like to make up a lot of bullshit too.

dmp said:
Most is ignorance. Often it's they are blinded by their gods and cannot see truth.
More often it appears to be flat out denial of facts. ;)

The funny thing is despite the questionable factuality asserted in the Bible, in Brown's book, and those who assert the factuality in each thereof--they all come up with the exact same arguments to denounce and "debunk" (whatever the fuck *that* entails) each other. Its like retards and chimps watching a cage match involving a retard and a chimp; all arguing over which is stronger: chimp strength, or retard strength.

LOki said:
Every schoolboy knows that Saturday has always been the seventh day of the week and Sunday is the First. ;)

The Gregorians got it from the Julian calandar used by Constantine, Constantine got it from the Christians, who got the notion from the Coptic calendar derived from the Egyptian calander used by the Jews--in particular Moses--who recieved the notion, and the commandment, directly from God.

Firstly this Easter rationalization is crap, Constantine established Sunday for the Christians to put every religion's day of worship the same day. Regardless, I'll concede the "6pm Friday until 6pm Saturday" business, but God said the seventh day, Saturday, was the Sabbath. He did not go on to say "..but by all means, if it's inconvenient, or you'd like to be Christians, go on and change it to Sunday, the day of the Sun god--ignore that "...no others before Me..." while you're at it."

But you are right about the heresy--since current Christian dogma makes Sunday the sabbath, asserting so cannot be heresy--but since it is still in direct contradiction to God's explicit Commandment, it is sin--have fun burning in Hell sinner! :thup:

I don't understand it either way, but I can understand the simple instruction:And which day he meant:

When the Truth gets a little cumbersome, people like to make up a lot of bullshit too.

The funny thing is despite the questionable factuality asserted in the Bible, in Brown's book, and those who assert the factuality in each thereof--they all come up with the exact same arguments to denounce and "debunk" (whatever the fuck *that* entails) each other. Its like retards and chimps watching a cage match involving a retard and a chimp; all arguing over which is stronger: chimp strength, or retard strength.

Is science the chimp or the retard ?

LOki said:

Please, Show me ONE scripture where "keeping a day holy" equates to "Going to church".

You can't. Your arguments are very week and you have trouble staying on the point.

I can't think of any reason why any Christian would go to church ever now that you mention it.

What scripture says that you need to go to church at all after Christ granted salvation?

If they conveniently got rid of the rest of the old testament then why should they worry about things like keeping the sabbath holy at all?

LOki said:

This has nothing to do with my question .....

...while this actually answers it.

I don't understand it either way, but I can understand the simple instruction:And which day he meant:

I also disagree with the notion that God gave specific edict that the Sabbath is set in stone as the 7th day, and only that day can be recognized as such. That God rested on the 7th day, and God's commandmant is "remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy," do not appear in the Bible within the context you are using.

Powerman said:
What scripture says that you need to go to church at all after Christ granted salvation?
Here's just one..

Hebrews: 10:23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
If they conveniently got rid of the rest of the old testament then why should they worry about things like keeping the sabbath holy at all?

Very few 'christian' churchs have gotten rid of the old testament. In fact, I'd say it's nearly impossible to go without the history and lessons contained therein.

GunnyL said:
I also disagree with the notion that God gave specific edict that the Sabbath is set in stone as the 7th day, and only that day can be recognized as such. That God rested on the 7th day, and God's commandmant is "remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy," do not appear in the Bible within the context you are using.

Brother - don't confuse him. He pays no attention to context or understanding.

GunnyL said:
In the context I am using, which is the Bible, in which God establishes the Commandment, and that the 7th day is the sabbath, and that God is getting pissed at Moses because his tribe is not observing the 7th day as the sabbath, God said the sabbath is saturday, and you're to keep that particular day holy.

LOki said:
In the context I am using, which is the Bible, in which God establishes the Commandment, and that the 7th day is the sabbath, and that God is getting pissed at Moses because his tribe is not observing the 7th day as the sabbath, God said the sabbath is saturday, and you're to keep that particular day holy.

Please explain how "keeping the sabbath holy" equates to which day somebody goes to church. Please explain what 'keeping the sabbath holy' means.

dmp said:
Please explain how "keeping the sabbath holy" equates to which day somebody goes to church.
You do as God would have you do. [I Peter 2:21, and I John 2:6]

And that would be: Go to church. [Mark 1:21, and Luke 4:16]

dmp said:
Please explain what 'keeping the sabbath holy' means.
Amongnst other things it may mean, it at least means you don't do work, and your family doesn't work, and your servants don't work on Saturday.

I like your challenges, they tickle. :D

LOki said:
You do as God would have you do. [I Peter 2:21, and I John 2:6]

And that would be: Go to church. [Mark 1:21, and Luke 4:16]

Amongnst other things it may mean, it at least means you don't do work, and your family doesn't work, and your servants don't work on Saturday.

I like your challenges, they tickle. :D

i play soccer in the house of god saturday and sunday....god has spoken to me and told me to do so....

Forum List

Back